Industry Compatible Keymap: Questions, suggestions and answers

I refered mostly to ability to pan things like node editors and 2D views. That’s the one present almost everywhere. If you have chance to test them, then do.

Open Unity shader graph and test MMB without alt works to pan. In unity, MMB only also pans viewport itself.
Open Houdini’s node editor, and verify that MMB only pans.
Open Maya’s node editor and verify that MMB only pans.
Same applies to image viewers and framebuffers. Basically editors that display 2D data.

Then there’s ability to MMB scroll menus and lists. That one is available in 3ds Max for example. My point is that if you stick with that, and make MMB only pan in 2D editors such as node views of framebuffers, then there’s no more “consistency” to maintain, so the only reason you’d opt to remove that in editors like properties panel would be to make people’s lives harder when using Blender.

The standard here would be simple. You could use MMB to pan any editor which doesn’t have 3 dimensions. In fact you could have MMB working alongside Alt+MMB even in 3D view, as MMB currently doesn’t do anything.

2 Likes

@LudvikKoutny, MMB drag is already used for tweaking selected Items, in 3Dview and other editors and is very good and needed.
I see your point but please let us get a consistent keymap first (maybe the first consistent Blender keymap),
and postpone for later the idea to add extra shortcuts for enlarging the standardness, and only where it’s possible (without breaking the keymap consistency).

I am really puzzled about one thing. In ICK, when holding down Alt+LMB to orbit viewport while cursor is above transform gizmo, the orbit happens. In custom keymap which has the exact same keymap entry for viewport orbit, also Alt+LMB, it triggers the transform gizmo.

Is this some hardcoded exception for ICK?

Hi!
Search for “Gizmo” in Keymap Preferences and disable Alt button for those items where it’s enabled.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

How do I add elements to selection in UV editor? Shift clicking them doesn’t seem to work.

With Selection tool active, Shift LMB drag to box select additionnal UVs,

but anyway keymap in UV editor is very far from finished/usable, breaks consistency in each tool,
as in the 3D view the transform tool LMB drag should be used for box selection ( instead of select move, there is already the select tool for that) , …

Yep, was a bug - now fixed.

I can’t test yet, as the fix is fresh and probably not in a buildbot build yet. But out of curiosity, after this fix, do you still manage to have adding edge loops to selection working? (Shift+Double-LMB)

A new build is not needed, you just need the last industry_compatible_data.py file from the source to replace the old one in 2.80\scripts\presets\keyconfig\keymap_data\

https://dev-files.blender.org/file/download/rn55lgpqd5wkr7eegni3/PHID-FILE-oqkf2fycgylddpxxz2pi/industry_compatible_data.py

ok shift click works fine now,
but what about other issues ? are we going to have LMB drag box selection in transform tool ?
And is the plan to implement at one point the rotate /move/scale active tools instead of the 2.79 like shortcut based tools ?

Yes - will add when the other UV Editor tools are implemented.

Yes, exactly right.

We already have the viewpoint gizmos implemented, as of today:

1 Like

In the animation editors also?

No, the animation editors already have a method to pan and zoom the view without using the keyboard - via the scroll bar.

1 Like

Hmm, would be nice either way. But maybe it’s just my c4d head speaking out. :smile:

Yes, so as I suspected, adding add selection to UV editor broke adding edge loop to selection. Shift+Double-LMB now doesn’t work.

This doesn’t work. Once I remove Alt, the click drag on gizmo handle stops working :expressionless:

EDIT: Does now. It appears there’s more to it than just removing Alt :slight_smile:

Bump

So I take it that adding edge loops to selection in UV editor (Shift+Double LMB) is not going to work with ICK on release? I’d like it to work, both in ICK and my keymap, that’s why I am asking. Not being able to select more than one edge loop inside UV editor is kinda big deal.

There is no ability to rotate view in Knife modal mode by default?
I added keys by myself.

alt navigation works as usual for me while in knife tool