Industry Compatible Keymap: Questions, suggestions and answers

No that’s my point, I found blender always see this key as the same event whatever keyboard layouts in various contries.

For example I have ² on this key but blender register the event as the " event not the ² event,
this is hard to explain but my point is yes we can use it because Blender for this key always see the same event whatever language is the keyboard.

Viewport angle snap no longer works in the ICK.

Also, there are some really weird inconsistencies. For example, Extrude tool and Inset tool are very often used quickly in tandem. Extrude tool triggered using Ctrl+E has a manipulator and clicking anywhere selects, where as Inset tool triggered using I key doesn’t have manipulator and clicking anywhere sets the inset.

These are similar modeling tools of same level and grade, yet their interaction is very different. That’s very odd.

Well, the Inset tool doesn’t currently have a gizmo, so I don’t see how it could work the same.

1 Like

I do. Since gizmos are obviously unfinished feature, not making it to 2.8, let’s just not use the Gizmo version of extrude when activated using a shortcut.

This doesn’t need an excuse, this needs a solution.

Gizmos are in 2.80.

That would not be very standard.

Yet having similar modeling tools interacted with in completely different ways is?

Extrude: Move mouse over a gizmo and drag it to extrude. Click-Drag anywhere else to perform another selection.
Inset: No gizmo present. Click-Drag anywhere to change inset radius. No ability to select.

I am fine with one or the other, as long as it is consistent at the very least across basic modeling tools. Keep in mind that especially inset and extrude are used together in very quick succession.

We should add a gizmo to the inset tool.

Then I am afraid I could point out Bevel tool, which is frequent too. I’d be happy if all the tools had gizmos, but until they do, this inconsistency hurts the workflow.

Another thing I noticed. ICK doesn’t allow for comfortable navigation in 2D views, such as node editor. In other apps, you can navigate 2D views without need to use both mouse and keyboard at the same time. You can use just mouse and use MMB or RMB drag to move around. With ICK, only way to pan around the node editor is Alt+MMB.

The idea is to add a pan gizmo, just like the 3D View.

Don’t know of any app that uses MMB or RMB drag.

Maya node editor uses MMB drag
3ds Max node editor uses MMB drag
UE4 node editors uses RMB drag
WorldMachine node view uses MMB drag
Houdini node editor uses MMB drag
Substance Designer node view uses MMB drag
Blackmagic fusion uses MMB drag
Foundry nuke uses MMB drag

Same generally applies to image view editors

No one ever wants to navigate any view using a gizmo…

On top of that, since LMB now moves all selected nodes, having MMB move all selected nodes is very redundant.

2 Likes

lol. This is actually standard in modo/c4d etc… and very handy on tablets.

But yeah, pan those views with mmb is also nice.

Yes, sure, but it’s not done because people want to do it, it’s because they don’t have any other choice. You don’t want to have to move your mouse to a very specific piece of screen just to pan its contents. If that was the case, then there would be no point to having 3D view navigation keys like Alt+LMB/MMB/RMB in case of this keymap.

Well, we use MMB to execute the tools from anywhere. See the Move, Rotate, Scale tools.

So, at least with this keymap, MMB to pan does not fit, and neither does RMB, which is used for the context menus.

This keymap uses Maya-style Alt-navigation, like many other apps do. It’s a core element of how this is meant to work, so that’s not likely to change.

2 Likes

Right, let’s make first the keymap consistent.
By the way about the outliner isn’t, as LMBdrag should box select, and MMB drag for tweaking like in other editors.

I would love to do that, but it’s not currently possible. I have to wait for the Outliner improvements over the summer.

Hey William, moving multiple selected keyframes doesn´t work in either keymap in Graph Editor nor Dope Sheet. Is this already on the to do list as well?

Yes it should be solved, but cannot be solved in the keymap. For now you can drag using MMB to move all selected.

1 Like

ok I understand now why we can’t use it for object mode, but then why not assign the event of this key at left of “1” to the switch edit/object mode ? worst case scenario the shortcut won’t be noticed as it’s hard to communicate about, but anyway else the switch is not mapped and the key not used…
it would not bring back consistency but would be handy.

It’s working fine now, thank you Billrey!