Industry Compatible Keymap: Questions, suggestions and answers

I was not precise enough sorry, my point is in the Industry Compatible Keymap, LMB click is for selecting one item, LMB drag from outside is for box selection and when it’s possible LMB drag move the item under the cursor, while MMB drag move the entire selection.

Look how it’s down in the timeline or node editor for example, this is very nice :

• you can box select the keys with LMB drag from outside the keys, then MMB drag anywhere in the editor will move all the selected keys, however LMB drag on one key will move this key but not the selection, kind of the best of both worlds. Bilrey have done a wonderful job with that while trying to make the keymap as consistent as possible.

So it could be good to make the outliner consistent with the 3D view with LMB drag for box select, because even if this prevent to move items with LMB drag, in outliner the thing we do the most is selecting items not moving them.
This is while waiting for “Dragging from outside” to be implemented in the outliner > this is what is missing at the moment to have both at the same time LMB drag fro moving 1 item under cursor + MMB drag to move the entire selection.

About consistency the file browser is another huge challenge …

Will there be a Shortcut for the new handy Shift + Spacebar Toolbar that was added in the default Keymap? Would be especially useful to switch tools in the Grease Pencil Draw Mode as the IC Keymap does not have any shortcuts there at all yet.

Oh but it IS already implemented : https://developer.blender.org/D4806
why is this patch not committed to master yet ?
would help a lot making the keymap more consistent for outliner …

@ billrey

• Knife tool is almost fixed. Just one small thing: CTRL doesn’t work for midpoint snap.
  • CTRL+ALT dbl-left mouse doesn’t work for edge ring deselect.

Thank you for your hard work

I will try and fix this. Edit: Done.

It works here?

1 Like

Grease Pencil Draw mode should now work better, with direct shortcuts for tools, and some basic fixes that mean that Alt-navigation works correctly.

1 Like

Thank you Billrey, knife tool is fully working now
I’ve tried the latest build but with CTRL+ALT dbl left click I’m still not able to deselect edge ring.
Another small thing, in my opinion the zoom direction should be inverted, Preferences/Navigation/InvertMouseZoomDirection like maya and 3dsmax.

Is there a chance you’ve enabled Emulate 3 Button Mouse? Because here you can deselect rings successfully.

As for the zoom direction, that is not currently controllable by the keymap.

I’ve created new config folder, but still not working. emulate 3 button mouse is disabled.

Zooming works with moving the mouse up/down, it would be great if it also worked with left/right.

Hi Billrey; I’ve tried the last build and I notice that it’s working when I use the touchpad of my notebook, although it’s still not working with tablet and mouse. I’ve tried on another pc but I have the same problem.
Anybody have the same problem?

What exactly is the issue? With the zoom direction or the ability to deselect ring selection?

The ability to deselect edge ring (CTRL+ALT+ dbl left click)

In the latest build, the vert/edge/face selection is still offset by one, starting at 2, making this keymap impossible to use with muscle memory from most of the other 3D apps. It feels very, very weird. If this keymap is supposed to make it easier to use Blender alongside other apps, then it really fails at it because of this particular reason.

It almost feels like having similar keymap with one major flaw is even worse than having a completely different keymap. If the keymap is similar to other 3D software, then your brain naturally starts to use the same key mappings, and then the 1234 feel even more off in otherwise familiar environment.

1 Like

Furthermore. I have no idea why F1 switches views, when it’s a “Open help” shortcut in about any other software out there. Also, it appears that viewport angle snap doesn’t work in this keymap at all.

If you have a solution that also works consistently for objects other than meshes, I am all ears.

F-keys are used for views in C4D I believe. It was suggested by users to do that.

I would like there to be a direct way to switch views that works for laptop keyboards.

Here it seems like most apps use Cmd-? for Help, which makes more sense than F1 I think.

It’s been discussed many times, and despite almost all community members having same opinion, you’ve always rejected any proposed solution. The easiest one here by far is Tab key. Tab key for search is not that common, only used in Nuke and Maya that I know of. Few other graphics software packages use Ctrl+Spacebar for search, so it could be moved there.

1 Like

View switching should be one key, a pie menu. For example V key would do here.

1 Like

Not out of spite - nobody have suggested a solution to the issue to also supporting objects other than meshes, if the order of the modes is changed. So, I can’t really change it - Blender has other objects other than meshes, and they should work too.