GSoC 2021: UV Editor Improvements - Feedback

Understood, thanks for the clarification :+1:

I’d absolutely love to see an actual UV relax method / algorithm to do iterative relax, that takes into account the model topology / etc as other DCC programs have.

It’s my #1 issue I have in blender when I do my UV pass. As blender often only gets half
way there, and I can’t properly relax to the degree I need to. So I then need to send to another program to do it and send back again.

I can do pretty much everything else in blender with native / addon tools. But I’ve never seen a proper relax yet. Although it’s probably out of scope for this task?

Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

@mattli911 Unfortunately a relax tool is not a part of the GSoC project.

You can find the tasks I’m primarily working on here : ⚓ T88990 UV Editor Improvements - GSoC 2021

2 Likes

To clarify: That video contained showcase of non-copyrightable features (procedures, process, systems, methods of operation, concepts, principles, etc.) of a user-made add-on for a discontinued application

Then the width and height parameters of the dinamic grid proposal

@Alberto There seems to be some confusion regarding this. You might be referring to pixel resolution part of the design task T78389.

To clarify, I’m only working on the Dynamic grid part of the design task, not Pixel resolution and Texel size.

looking forward to having this in Blender! Great work so far :smiley:

Thanks @CybranM ! Glad to hear that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

sad, could be a perfect improvement. actually we need to put a image with x*y resolution to obtain that grid ratio. it is hard do that with a textfield?

Would love to see this in Blender as well. As someone who learned UV mapping from using Autodesk Maya in the past, this feature is something I have really come to miss.

Also, fantastic work so far, @sidd017 ! I know this may fall out of the scope of this current project, but one feature I always wanted to see in Blender is the ability to see UV maps of objects outside of Edit Mode (i.e. Object Mode). Always been a major gripe of mine since I moved over to Blender. If you decide to continue working on developing UV mapping features after GSoC is over I would hope that you consider this feature as well. :partying_face:

5 Likes

Thanks @Frozen_Death_Knight !
With only 2 weeks left till GSoC coding period ends, I don’t think it would be feasible to start working on any new tasks that can’t be completed before the approaching deadline.

I’ll definitely look into both features after GSoC or at least create design tasks for them, so that they can be worked upon sometime in the future.

3 Likes

UV
Julien asked on twitter what people thought was bad about Blenders UV workspace and I also brought this up.

I think this is a super duper good idea, but it is also a BIG change. It might come with performance complications, it might require more overlays in object mode, it might need more features to make it work. Either way, it would be something to talk to with the Campbell to see what he thinks. I’m all for it of course!

4 Likes

oh wow, I wasn’t expecting this to be done, very excited to see it! one of my longstanding gripes with the UV editor was the fact that you couldn’t select two parallel edges without also selecting the face. thanks for tackling these UV editor improvements, really looking forward to seeing these get merged into master!

I only want to remember in a possible to-do that was to make box selection infinity in X or Y to select vertex out of the view

Also thought about this and came to the conclusion that better just select loop for now. But for multiple islands its definitely must have…

is it possible to make UV Edge/Face modes visibility as in 3D View, where vertices I see only in Vertex mode, edges I see only in Edge mode, and faces with dots I see only in Face mode? To be consistent with 3d View.

And to keep clear this thread I ask moderators to relocate our messages to Feedback thread.
Thanks!

1 Like

Moving conversations to the feedback thread to maintain a clean thread for weekly reports

@APEC I agree that the way UV edges are currently drawn is visually misleading. A clear example is given in the screenshot below, where the vertices of the edge are selected but the edge is not selected

Presently, this is can also be replicated with UV sync selection enabled in the current master as well.

I did spend sometime experimenting with the code responsible for drawing UV edges, but given that I don’t have much experience with shaders, I couldn’t come up with a solution for this. I might take sometime off after GSoC before trying this again.

Regarding extending box selection in X or Y direction : Unfortunately I haven’t had time to look/work on any new tasks due to time constraints.

5 Likes

Sorry if its been answered but I couldnt find it, did this get cut from 3.0? Was looking forward to the unwrap to area

Hey @CybranM
Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to complete the pack islands to area operator after GSoC ended.

Currently I’m trying to finish the patch for UV edge selection support (D12028), but progress on that has been slow (busy with college).
As for the remaining tasks from the GSoC project, they have already been merged into master and are available in 3.0 :

I’ll get back to the pack islands to area operator after I complete D12028 and have some time to work on it.

10 Likes

the main thing that I am missing compared to Maya is Maya’s symmetrize tool :slight_smile: However, Maya’s Straighten tool is better than Blender’s solution to the problem, MagicUV addon, which often runs into Python recursion limits, and it’s a bit slower.

No worries, I was just curious. Thanks for all you’ve done so far! :smiley: