GSoC 2019: Outliner Improvements Ideas

Yes, it isolates, but second click doesnot reverts previous scene visibility state, just turns everything on.
It is not toggling yet, so there is no ability to quickly check up given collection’s content and go back to setted up scene. If to take in account that there can be hundreds of collections, it makes a serious problem.

C) in the 2.81 builds there is now a outliner filter to only show the hidden objects.

Good. Very needed.
But we need ability to see in viewport what is hidden to manage it’s visibility.
Invert visibility provides such ability.

D) this is possible

Nice!

E) in the viewport do alt+h

Alt+h works in outliner, but it also doesnot provides previous scene’s visibility state.
It is also not toggling.

Thank you for response!

4 Likes

I have been using my tools for this for many years:

Here is a link to the addon, it may come in handy.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11ynrMLdI0F1y9ryP2lAfFp-kwggCAziG

Regular expressions are supported.

4 Likes

dude, thank you!!!

all those improvements are nice but only one thing I miss from Maya:
in Maya’s outliner I could rearrange order anyway I want. And If I rename an object it will stay in the same place (no matter what is the new first letter).

For many years I struggle with blender’s outliner becaue of that automatic alphabetical sorting.
User controlled sorting will be a huge step forward

6 Likes

I vote for that. Also something that I wish we had.

Yes, see this post and the one after it: GSoC 2019: Outliner Improvements Ideas

I agree with both ideas!
B) is basically a local view for a collection. You can do this with a workaround now: deselect everything, then right-click on collection and select objects. Then click “/” in the viewport for local view.

C) also useful. For example in my CAD program it’s called “show hidden”.

1 Like

I’d like to add one more:

• Render visible --> a button or something to set the renderability toggles everywhere to be the same as the visibility. It often happens on large scenes that I have everything set up in the viewport and then only see in the final render that something extra got rendered or something else got left out. Really irritating, especially if the render times were high.
2 Likes

An excellent idea!
Swapping columns states will allow to view and manage, copying columns state will allow to set.

I would like it to propose as
F) “Read current state from visibility to given column”
A very wise management solution for 1000+ collections files…

2 Likes

The active object is only the last object selected, so I’m proposing you could discover each and every one of the selected objects.

1 Like

We definitely need the sync visibility and renderability toggle.
We can have a link icon similar to photoshops lock linked dimension values for example. It could reside in the filters popover

That’s also a nice idea - ability to view any purple column as visibility during link session)
While link is on, linked column becames purple, and it’s values projects to visibility column.

I think, swap allows to get the same goal, but it requires less coding, and you can see real visibility in purple column during process, because values are swapped. For example, if you need to manage renderability of only visible objects, ignoring a huge amount of hidden objects in a scene…

ability to
F) “Read current state from visibility to given column”
also can give a nice boost there

It’s also a big issue - it impossible to isolate collections of all selected objects, currently isolation proceeds collection of only active one.

In Layers Maniphest there were example with selected by material tires of 50 cars, and no ability to isolate collections of those cars, having their tires is selection.

Hi Nate!

This is day by day better, you are doing an amazing job on the Outliner.
Will be the delete function with Delete key and the drag and drop parenting and organizing implemented in the 2.81 version soon? I just downloaded the latest build and they are not yet working.

Hello Nate!

For your information.
I just created a bug report! The outliner filter, Hidden, Selected and Active don´t work. Only in a fresh created scene. See https://developer.blender.org/T69246
I also tried 2.80 final and there the outliner filter selected and active als also not working!

One thing I would like to see is the ability to select everything in a collection by just clicking on the collection itself. To me that is pretty common behaviour outside of 3D programs like Photoshop where you are able to transform multiple layer in a single group by just selecting the group itself. Would like to see it in Blender too. :slight_smile:

in case you don’t know, it’s right-click -> menu> select object …
but you probably already know, and you want simply click and select

Yeah, click to select is how I prefer it. ^-^

1 Like

If the mouse cursor is in the Outliner Editor, we can delete a collection, but not an object. We have to move the mouse cursor to the 3D view Editor to press ‘Delete’, then go back to the Outliner if we want to delete other objects. That’s an inefficient behavior. If we want to manage our scene from the outliner, we should be able to stay there.

Please make it possible to delete objects from the Outliner. Thanks.

5 Likes

Yes guys. We don’t need to invent anything new there. We just need to take a look at other 3d softwares, and learn from there, if there is anything what better works. People want a userfriendly straightforward intuitive workflow. If the Delete key deletes in all other 3D software, we would expect to do the same action in Blender too, in all workspaces. IMO the mouse cursor position souldn’t be relevant at all, when it comes to delete. It should simple take the last clicked thing and delete it.

6 Likes