Global topbar conflicts with multiple editors layout

That’s not true, a lot of programs show settings in different sites, popovers… and the worst program with worst interface are the programs that put settings allways in the same site. For example Krita and “tool settings” that is a really bad place.

You guys always told “all programs” when is false. in reality few programs put the tool settings in the same place. and less programs uses the same windows/area for object properties and tool settings.

This is wrong, Spreading settings all over the place is never a good thing.

please define cluttering. you are using a meaningless word.
If cluttering is having a hidable settings bar near of where you are working then yes, we need more cluttering.
if cluttering is having a useless bar that only serves as decoration to a software so yes we have too much cluttering.

Spreading tools all over the place is also not a good thing.

1 Like

Blender 2.79, tool settings in the

• tool self

Blender 2.8 toool settings in

• Topbar
  • popover
  • Propertie windows

But you defend 2.8 solution…

This was one of the arguments to don’t move the tool settings. In blender 2.79 you have a clear UI distribution, tools in the left of the UI and properties/outliner in the right of the program. In Blender2.8 you have tools and addons in all the interface.

Another solution, I hope no one disagree with because really doesnt affect the UI, only adds a easy to access settings popup.

1 Like

there was a better solution by the dev themselves but don’t know why they didn’t go with it probably they wanted the tool-Panel to take less space and bigger icons for tablet users but i think they can make a much better solution…the setting can be a seprate part of the tool Panel and be easily flipped left and right from the tools…etc

1 Like

I wish, there are devs following this thread but if there is, they’re probably just looking to guarantee no one is going salty and ignoring all the suggestions :frowning:

That was some of the proposal to improve the old T-shelf. I wished something like this. But developers try to quit all commands from the hand of the users.

in these times of use of blender 2.80 I have matured the fact that the t-shelf is too limiting, because of the little space available, I am of the opinion that the floating pannels-popups that open around the object are a better idea. …

maybe they could improve this perspective making them better, like “windows” that can be positioned, flaglable, resizable closable etc … manageable at will …

the new t-shelf / toolsbar is good that it is a list of tools with icons that recall the tools (and property windows) we need

Sticky windows are kinda against the blender philosophy of no-overlap-anywhere but I agree with dynamic popups that open and close depending of your commands.

Could you explain a few more? I don’t know if you talk about old t-shelf o new t-shelf.

I thought so too …
but I’m maturing the idea that in the end they are functional

Well I agree with popup windows but they should follow a few conditions.

• They all can be open with keystrokes
  • They close if you take the mouse off
  • They should be scrollable
  • They are contextual and change depending on mode and tool
  • They should be predictable
1 Like

this … more or less…

Yes! This! but, on any active tool and takes the settings of the topbar so, we can get rid the weird tool settings in properties editor.

But that is similar to actual popover :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

yes…
in fact … my idea is that they continue to improve the pop over, and at this point the add-ons become icons - “tools” that recall these “windows”.

when you will see the column layout in the popoover you wouldn’t want that popover.

Improving on your suggestion, I guess that would really work!
and also looks quite clean when blending with the theme colors.

1 Like

I don’t see it a good solution, all time seeing popovers over the screen. I see it like a complement to a classic t-shelf. Not for me, but for new users this popovers are hard to discover.