Geometry Nodes

I’m guessing that’s related to this report: T87006: geo nodes not update immediately with python

For now you’ll have to trigger the update manually with python at the end of your script.

That looks to be precisely the error

Hello!

Is there any way of using GN mesh primitives and make them randomly instanced on points? Can’t find a way without using lots of Instance on Points and lots of selection nodes. Also, I know that I could use a bunch of primitives under a collection and use collection info, but I need to know if there is any way of creating a “list” of object to be instanced under just one node tree.

Already answered: Geometry to Instance Node — Blender Manual

helllo so my question is hoiw can I get the scale information in spreadsheet like it’s right there but I can’t access it so is there a plan for a scale node like the position node or is there a trick that I can use for the current time if there is no node

Is there a plan to have an index input for the geometry to instance node? Each set of domains that have the same index would become a separate instance.

That way, you could turn each mesh island into an instance, among other powerful uses.

1 Like

I am not a developer
didn’t see it in the plans
but i plan to do it someday
so far this can’t be done due to the slow implementation of splitting the mesh into parts (it’s just 2 hidden slow delete nodes)

1 Like

This was possible thanks to extrude-, flip face- and merge-by-distance-node.

Finished. Asset can be downloaded here as soon as blendswap accepts 3.1.

Blender, my favorite toy - i love you!

18 Likes

I dont know its bug or I just have wrong thinking how it must be work but before I create task to developers i ask here

We have curve- then we resample it to length 0.1.
and add new resample with length 0.3 but without endpoint.
I think to see curve with large serments and with one small in the end of curve but its not.
So I think wrong or curves must have this options but its not work?

Looking at your problem, i’d like to show you a solution rather than an answer:

yes its work. but if u have 2 or more curve or mesh to curve like this? yes I know how can create this with deleting points in 2 curves and then merge them but if resample have select option I think its need to work with part of curve.

Hello, I hope it’s a right place to post this. Wouldn’t it make sense to have an option to use a curve as a curve even if it has a profile? Currently a curve with a profile is automatically evaluated as a mesh. Maybe there could be a node like “use curve data”…?
For example if I have a curve that’s already set up the way I want I can’t use it’s data in GNs, I have to remove the profile, then re-add all the same things using nodes. This seems like an artificial limitation.

2 Likes

The problem is that the curve profile is not contained in the curve data structure.
For rendering, the profile is sent to the video card and thus creates a curve from it

Thank you for reply! I don’t understand why is this a problem: I don’t want to access the existing profile from GN — rather I want an option to ignore curve profile and not evaluate a curve with a profile as a mesh by default. Here’s an example:

— I have boxes on curve points. The moment I add profile width to the curve my boxes start to spawn on polygons of the evaluated mesh, not on the curve.

1 Like

It is planned on the medium term to move the meshing options away from the curve properties and completely into geometry nodes. Unfortunately right now if you bevel the curve from its properties it doesn’t contain a curve anymore therefore the geonodes network can’t work on it as a curve

Thank you for reply — so at some point what I want will be possible? Do you happen to know if there’s a specific task-thing I can follow to see the updates…?

No, curves will “just” be curves and you’ll have to go to geonodes for meshing. I don’t know the specifics beyond that. You can follow the great curve refactoring over here : ⚓ T95355 New Curves data block
but I’m not entirely sure this task covers the changes I’ve mentioned (they’re not listed, but I assume they are part of it).

The problem seems to be that resample curve doesn’t use exact values, but rather divides the curve evenly using the closest value to the desired value. I’m not sure if this is intentional or a bug.

Yes I know this tnx and my question not for this I try resample part of curve but rebuilded all curve not only part

on screen you see how i deselect one point and try resample 0-1 or 1-2 part but its resample all curve.

I’d like to share my solidify node with you. You can give a plane a 3rd dimension, or you can make a manifold object hollow, e.g. for 3D printing. Then just choose a negative thickness in the “Simple” mode.
The “Stiffing” mode divides the resulting extrusion of the solidify node into 3 layers, for sharper edges when used befor a Subdivision Surface node.

The lazy ones among you can grab the file here:
https://developer.blender.org/T95716

5 Likes

In Resample Curve node, selection input is for splines, not points. So if you have multiple splines in the curve, you can pick which splines to resample, but it will always resample whole spline.