Geometry Nodes

I like it a lot! And now that the dashes are even-spaced and not fully transparent, I personally don’t even need to turn them off honestly, they help to quickly distinguish between geometry, fields and single values. I think that colors are useful too to see implicit conversions and spot if the node you have selected has wires connected on it.

I played with the build and sketched a quick ocean effect:

5 Likes

Hehe, well maybe not ideal, but artcitizen wrote:

So it could be what they’re after?

Looks interesting.

Would it be ok for you to share the file?

One thing I haven’t been able to figure out in the new system is UV coordinate generation. In the attribute workflow I could just write to the correct attributes I think?

It would be nice if there was a ‘UV’ input, analogous to position. I’ve been busy generating ropes using a curve primitive and I’ve gotten some very nice results, but I’d like to map the UV coordinates around the curve in a smart way and I can’t seem to find how to do it.

Is UV coordinate manipulation from GN supported/planned? Do I just overlook something obvious?

I just realized the white wire overlay around the active node is still there. It’s interfering with the colored wires now

1 Like

There’s a patch for for controlling its opacity and color
https://developer.blender.org/D12973

4 Likes

What I meant is it can’t be a color anymore, now that color communicates data type. And when it’s disabled, only the node outline remains… which seems a little light to me

Thanks for the link !

not sure if wire selection should be an overlay?
But yeah, i hope it will be accepted and pushed before 3.0

mix of both type and select color is very very distracting

1 Like

yep - didn’t consider this a solution, more of an observation. I would have expected that the instances are less laggy than realized ones

Yes, that’s what I want! Thanks a lot for the solution.

1 Like

There’s a bug in the Overlays and Wire Colors of the Geo Node Editor.

https://developer.blender.org/T92446

Why can’t I just transform geometry with a field? This doesn’t make any sense. Transform should be dynamic, taking either constant value or field.

I know I can use set position:

But it still makes very little sense. Transform node implicitly adds the position input to the existing positions, while with set position, user has to do it explicitly. Of course it’s fine to have set position for more specific tasks, but for a quick, simple vertex position transformations, I don’t see a reason Transform node couldn’t take in a field.

1 Like

I have heard that it’s because the Transform node can also transform volumes, I can’t remember where I read it though.

So? Why shouldn’t we have an ability to transform volumes with fields too?

Here’s a practical example where it’s an issue. Let’s say I want to bend a simple tree model. If the transform node correctly accepted both fields and constants, this is how I could implement a simple bend with amount and falloff control:

2 Likes

Because Volumes are not yet properly supported I guess? Like the spreadsheet doesn’t even show volume data, it does not even have a domain for volume yet. If you try Set Position after Points to Volume it’s actually not gonna work.

Not sure I understand how it works, but if it’s about rotation, Set Position can do the rotation by using vector rotate with the position field node

Yes, I am aware it can be done by set position too. It’s not really a dealbreaker, but a matter of workflow. To more universal the nodes are, the better.

If you check the “Offset” checkbox in the Set Position node, you don’t need to use the Position input any more. Then it’s identical to the translation in the transform node. Note that the transform node might support fields in the future, it’s too early to say.

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed it shortly after, however it still applies only to position transform, not rotation or scale.

Again, not saying it’s a big deal, because all of those operations can be done in other ways. But at the same time, if Transform simply supported fields, some of those operations could be done in cleaner and simpler way.

Is this a bug or weird design?

On the one hand, I can understand protecting the beginners from themselves by defaulting empty position socket to original geometry position field, instead of 0. That way, if a noob adds set position node, their mesh doesn’t disappear as the vertices do not collapse to the mesh origin immediately.

On the other hand, the same default value is also used when offset is enabled, so enabling offset basically scales the geometry * 2, as it adds existing positions to existing positions once more.

The first obvious solution is changing the default behavior of the unconnected position socket depending on whether offset is enabled or not, but it can accept a field too, so that’s tricky.

In general, this introduces a bit of uncertainty what the default implicit values of unconnected sockets are.

For some reason the offset is a Boolean value.
Looks like verts got displaced by vector (1,1,1) in normal direction.

Wouldn’t a vector make more sense for the offset?