Edit mesh face dots (poll)

Selection in Maya is very configurable.
If you like you can turn pre-selection off, although I haven’t seen anyone do it.

preselection_settings

You can also rate object and component types with selection priority, so when they overlap and you click on them it will select based on priority.

One can choose to enable or disable face dots, and how “box select” treats them. (if it selects based on the dots or face surface)

And something I miss in Blender, you can box select components in edit mode that are behind other components without changing the view to wireframe.

1 Like

Well, at firtst, I am CG workflow designer, that designs complex workflows.
So I can tell you, there are no things that are impossible without preselection, as it is invented just for fun.
Yes, it is shiny, but useless in simple mesh modeling, and malicious in complex one.
There are no evidence to the contrary.

At second, how can you avoid changes of Blender during development if you, actually, pay to keep it’s development monthly at diamond rate?

In the end, we are just discussing how to do things better, or, at least, less harmful)
People still work in it.

1 Like

This, in fact, is not the problem specifically of Blender, but of the entire computer graphics industry.
All those Xray modes, wireframes, clipping views, sections, and other attempts.
Have you ever met a great solution to this problem in any software to take as an example?

Exactly.I have no idea why they don’t implement this in blender.
Switching to wireframe for that is a very outdated and retarded workflow imho. It should never be the only way.

1 Like

What about “limit selection to visible” Blender’s button? Is it the other way?
Also, it is hard to call some workflow retarted, if it works)

The most funny thing is that I love preselection to select large surfaces and long segments, for example sharp edges and loopscuts … in these cases, I saw how it works in MOI 3D, and I definitely find it much faster than how it is currently on blender …
But being also used to using blender to model, especially to a speed modeling approach, I would find this preselection of single vertices,edges, and polygons more a nuisance than a real utility, because blender (at least 2.79) works great in the selections of vertices and polygons and edges … I love the fact that you just need to be close enough in the area and that verrtex is already selectable … this in the fast modeling is fantastic …

(many require the left click … because with the tablet they need to click on each point with the tip of the pen to select it, … you do not understand anything … you do not imagine how fast and comfortable it is to pass near an area and to make righ-click with the pen while the hand is in motion without stop it never … sure you have to train the thumb to be fast from good pistolero hehehe but this is it)

having said that, until the use techniques remain intact, and these new features are optional, I never have anything against them …

About thick edges. So Wow!
It seems, to see topology I need 4k… laptop?

3 Likes

just try to imagine … quickly select “surfaces” and long sharp edges :grin::wink:
GIF_extrude
trimsurface-004

this solution that I proposed … could also be useful for the edge thicknesses … the more the object is far from the view, the more the edges become thin

Preselect is nice feature for NURBS, CAD or Architectural addons like this.

1 Like

it’s just the sense of what I mean … it can work easily even with the mesh and not just with the nurbs and the surfaces …

AA algoritms of wireframes are pretty much complex mathematically.
Everything started from Bresenham algoritm, then Y and so on.
Basically, it is a great luxury to have at least one good static mode.
In addition, there is no point in thickening, as in itself, except design solution.

Also - problem of large scale objects like roads. You standing close, but end of street is far away.
It is hard to imagine what kind of thickness effect there should to be.

The problem is, in simple mesh it solves no problems, except fun, but in dense meshes preselect it is not simply useless, but also harmful.

1 Like

I do not speak of the preselect “lame” like maya …
I would like an algorithm in blender, which in overlay recognizes all the sharp edges, and therefore the possible surfaces, an evolution of what already makes the various selection tools addons

Yes, I’ve got it.
We all want preselect API feature. Alongside with cutom manipulators/widgets API realization.

1 Like

@mano-wii is nice the new select tool you’re working on …
https://developer.blender.org/D4350
^ ___ ^

I really like your mock-up. I think this is a great solution. I think the face dots can be great for troubleshooting the mesh and other situations, but I think your solution should be the default behavior.

Love it, nothing more to add.
It exactly feels like this.

Well I think that this clear the position of the community, there are more people interested in seeing the facedots and remove the “fat edges”.

2 Likes

For me this poll is looking mostly like “will I be or will I not be able to use 2.8 for modeling?”
That’s, actually, scaring.

2 Likes