Cycles feedback

Are you able to make a bug report and provide a file for us to investigate?

2 Likes

https://developer.blender.org/T94354

just created, hope this helps

1 Like

Have problems with volumes in glas here. Made a report. Hope this gets invested in. Thanks
https://developer.blender.org/T94394

1 Like

For me it’s slower when CPU and GPU are enabled. Ryzen 3900x and RTX 3090. I’ll run some tests to do a proper bug report later.

Sorry, but I haven’t access to the file, neither to a 30 series card to reproduce the optix bug, I’ll try to report that as soon as I can!

Same here when using I9 9900k with RTX 2080super

@costavojik and @GabrielMoro, it is known that multi-device rendering in Cycles-X with CPU + GPU can have some performance issues. There is a task open for it here: ⚓ T89833 Cycles: multi-device rendering performance

3 Likes

Are the migrated c++ shader nodes now faster? Just being curious. Like:
https://developer.blender.org/rB26c7be71d746247e56327f7abb4ff59bf40f6cc8

Also, migrated from what?

That’s mainly a code change, changing the file from C to C++ code. It has no impact on rendering performance.

1 Like

Hello Cycles developers,

I made some tests and found out that there are significant RAM usage regressions when rendering passes with Cycles-X compared to previous non-X version. This is much more visible with very high resolution images.

Memory usage can be up almost 100% more with only Z-depth, all Cryptomattes and denoising data on.

Should this be reported, or is this a known issue or known limitation?

Thanks

2 Likes

I don’t know if this counts as Cycles-X feedback but I’m really happy with the performance of the new native point rendering for Cycles.

In this scene the memory peaks at 700MB and it has at most 5 million particles. (Ignore the simulation quality since I’m new to Houdini simulations):

I also posted on Blenderartists where I did similar tests with a different simulator if you want a better understanding of how much memory is being used.

17 Likes

Operating system: win10
Graphics card: A6000
Broken: blender-3.1.0-alpha+master.97c2c3991620-windows.amd64-release
渲染 分辨率 37500x22200 GPU计算完成后 调度缓存时blender崩溃
Blender crashes when scheduling cache after rendering resolution 37500x22200 GPU calculation is complete

You already reported this to the bug tracker, please continue there. ⚓ T94906 Blender crashes when scheduling cache after rendering super high resolution 37500x22200 GPU calculation

When i use graphic card for rendering especially when blender uses shared GPU memory , canceling render is too hard and take some minutes ! ( i use latest blender 3.1)

2 Likes

I can confirm that canceling a render can take ages.

4 Likes

I confirm too: I often open a new Blender instance and load up the temp autosave file :frowning:

3 Likes

Yep. Canceling render is pain.

2 Likes

#metoo
but not only this, when viewport render a volume explosion, everything is fine.
When final rendering, it takes ages to start incl. long canceling.
When turning of the volume, it renders fine. (also tried basic volume shader with same result)
Could render this scene days ago a bit quicker with the volume.
macOS 12.1, blender 3.1 latest

The new volumetrics in 3.0/31 is creating halo artifacts in the “Diffuse Indirect” and “Transmission Indirect” passes. Combining the passes in the compositor the halo artifacts shows, but is not in the “Combined” pass.

I have reported the issue a while back in Halo Artifacts. I considered it a regression, since 2.93 volumetrics does not create the halo artifacts.

The question I have is it a side effect of the new volumetrics implementation or a bug and is their any workarounds for this issue.

Here is the link to the test blender halo blend. Just enable or disable the volume cube. Notice halo outline artifact in person, window opening and sky holes plane.

Halo outline artifacts Blender 3.1 with volumetrics enable for the “Diffuse Indirect” pass:

No Halo outline artifacts Blender 3.1 with volumetrics disable for the “Diffuse Indirect” pass:

Halo outline artifacts Blender 3.1 with volumetrics enable for the “Transmission Indirect” pass:

No Halo outline artifacts Blender 3.1 with volumetrics disable for the “Transmission Indirect” pass:

Brecht,

Thanks for looking into the halo volumetric pass issue. The halo issue still not resolve for the transmission pass and for other scenes the halo diffuse indirect still persists. I added new comments and blend file to the current close bug task. Can you reopen the task or should I just create a new bug report.