Cycles AMD HIP device feedback

A second benchmark has hit the 3.4 list.

7900 XTX now.

|AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 3783.31
|NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 3748.7914
|NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 3649.66|5|
|AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT 3461.95.1

Is the news speaking the truth about RT in 3.5 for HIP?

When hiprt out in addition to rdan1/vega, no one should use hip, so I think it is better not to interfere with the amd side of the hiprt development progress, including the mood at workļ¼Œrt is still the main character怂

1 Like

You made your point. Now I would appreciate if this thread could go back to constructive feedback on Blender Cycles HIP.

7 Likes

Is there a set of instruction set and API that needs to be called for dual-launch SIMD?

Hi,

Iā€™ve been trying out rocm/HIP the last couple of days mostly on Linux. Except the crashes with viewport rendering on mesa (see Cycles AMD HIP device feedback - #390 by joni999, has a bug report) itā€™s working quite well for me and the crashes are harder to trigger in 3.4 than in 3.3, it still happens sub 1 minute, always when moving in viewport and not just looking around. Itā€™s avoidable, but still very annoying.

A new issue with 3.4 is that performance got around 8% worse on most devices compared to 3.3 on Linux:

Device Name 3.3 3.4 Difference absolute Relative Score loss in %
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 2.268 2.127 140.36 6.19
AMD Radeon RX 6800 1.909 1.749 160.42 8.40
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 1.468 1.408 60.09 4.09
AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT 1.111 1.017 93.43 8.41

(data from blender open data with very small sample size, did test 6800 myself though)

While this isnā€™t massive, considering on windows people got quite a performance uplift even beating former 3.3 Linux scores by quite a bit there has to be some kind of regression here.

Linux scores

5 Likes

I noticed the same, It was independent of ROCM / Mesa on my test so this one appears a Blender 3.4 issue. @TurtleDev you will probably have to start a new bug report. Pretty funny Windows and Linux almost swapped exactly.

GPU OS 3.3 Score 3.4 Score
6800 Windows 1560.17 1972.5
6800 Linux 1909.4 1677.88

The Linux crash T100353 is possibly drm/amd related however I donā€™t think anyone is actively investigating it. We may not know what causes this issue for the foreseeable future let alone have a solution.

3 Likes

The 7900xt xfx version runs at a default frequency of 2650mhz with a rendering speed of 20s, which is an improvement in performance.
(96/72)* 2650/2560 is approximately equal to 1.38x , the performance gain of dual-issue SIMD = 1.5/1.38 is approximately equal to 1.087x ,Only an 8.7% performance improvement

AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 Graphics HIP Windows 3.4.0 272392.41 1
AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 Graphics HIP Windows 3.4.0 268402.8 1

Something broke in the HIP benchmarks

1 Like

Some good news. @flavonol @Tpal

ROCm packaged in Debian (unstable) reached usability level for Blender 3.4 / 3.5. These drivers do not need dkms nor any external repositories/packages to work.

I have two Vega II GPUs detected and working. And from my first benchmarks it looks that multi-GPU rendering performance scales almost perfectly.

I plan to do more testing in coming days.

5 Likes

I also have this problem on an RX 6600 XT on Ubuntu 22.04. It would be great if this problem wasnā€™t there. Is there any chance that this will be fixed in version 3.5? Because I donā€™t think we can count on HIP RT. I gave Radeon a chance, hoping that there would be an improvement, and believing the assurances of the developers. If I install completely proprietary drivers, will the problem not occur? At the moment Iā€™m using mesa and installed ROCm, but Iā€™ve read that the problem also appears in proprietary drivers.

2 Likes

Hi, anyone see this problem: when rendering with Cycles on a 7900XTX GPU, all textures are missing except one (random) texture? For example I have a material with 2 maps: one base color and one normal map. When rendered, each time, either the normal map or the base color will be missing, and the one map left will take the other oneā€™s place.

Iā€™ve made an issue last month, but no reply from the staff. Wondering is it only me coming across such a big problem?

Anyone who has a 7900XTX would you kindly look at my issue and tell me if you can reproduce it? Thank you very much.

3 Likes

At the moment a workaround for the problem is to disable the overlay in the blender preview panel. After my short tests it seems to work, the preview in viewport works and does not crash the system. At the moment there is no better solution. Some stubborn user has even made a simple addon to Blender to disable overlay automatically in cycles preview.
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2145?fbclid=IwAR3TeAwpQ-1vqrH0AHEaqWqH9CJSzg2ZpE8oBrā€¦.

There is a link and an exemption at the bottom of this forum. AMD itā€™s time for you to make your move. We are really looking forward to improvement and approaching Linux users the same way as the rest of us. We are the same customers as everyone else. Blender will soon become the industry standard for frelancers. If you donā€™t want to lose this group then itā€™s time to act. It would be silly if Intel was the first to release RT support for its cards in Blender.

2 Likes

There is no RT support 445 days and counting. This is just ridiculous

5 Likes

HIP-RT (Hardware accelerated ray traversal for HIP) for Cycles is being worked on and is expected to be committed soon.

3 Likes

This is great news. Seriously, Iā€™m rooting hard for the AMD team. It would be nice if they open source code for these components and drivers. Iā€™m afraid that developers will again treat Linux as a secondary system, irrelevant to the company because of lousy profits. Itā€™s understandable on the one hand, and yet Iā€™m still hoping that Iā€™ll be able to use Blender on Ubuntu using the rx 6600 xt without compromising and combining with viewport render display. It would be nice if we didnā€™t have to install ROCm, and everything would be available by default in Mesa drivers!

3 Likes

1:sudo apt install
2:sudo amdgpu-install --usecase=rocm,hip,graphics --opencl=rocr
I donā€™t know why my ubuntu canā€™t start hip even though I installed the driver using the above command

1 Like

I would add to this command --no dkms if I remember correctly.
I think the problem is with the version of Blender you have installed. Most likely you have Flatpak or Snap. Download the official version from the official site. It should help.

1 Like

Wanted to make a linux build that will allow people to render with amd gpu.

https://docs.amd.com/bundle/ROCm_Installation_Guidev5.0/page/Prerequisite_Actions.html

Confirm the system has a ROCm-capable GPU

Does this mean I canā€™t compile hip unless I have an AMD gpu?

1 Like

No, you can compile without an AMD GPU as well, thatā€™s what we do on the buildbot.

5.0 is somewhat old now, the latest version of the docs is:
https://docs.amd.com/bundle/ROCm-Installation-Guide-v5.4.1/page/Prerequisites.html

See also:

2 Likes

Sorry to write this here, but maybe we could see the render and cycles meeting notes from the 18th of April?