Colour coded icons

I still without understand why icons have lost colors, instead of made like always and then use without saturation, changes in the hue,…

1 Like

I dont understand why they lost colors in the menus and panels while on the mainfront ui on properties panel tabs they are there to stay and there is no real option to turn off colors without affecting the Outliner ones as well.

The solution to all of this is coming. :wink:

Will the custom icon sheets support svg files? Also will color coding be coming back to the outliner? Its harder to find stuff now without it.

1 Like

Also will color coding be coming back to the outliner? Its harder to find stuff now without it.

What do You mean? Icons are coloured in Outliner.

i think he doesnt like that green colour share by various types of Objects unlike previously

you seem the right person to ask this: will there be an option to keep the icons noncolored on the properties tabs without affecting the color outliner etc icons ? To me adding multicolored icons there kinda broke the apparent almost perfect UI style blender begin to shape up. In any case there should be an option.

2 Likes

I’m not the right person - I just designed most of pictograms. The way they’re used is a whole different story and is not up to me.

1 Like

So after using Blender 2.8 very frequently recently, here are some issues with the properties panel icons:

1. World and Material editor icon color coding makes them look so similar mistaking them for each other happens way too often. The layout of continents on the world icon is even similar to layout of the filled out checker boxes in the material editor icons. If you squint just a little bit to blur your vision, the icons turn pretty much identical.

2. Circuit board for Particles just doesn’t work. No matter how long I use Blender, the circuit board icon just does not save into visual memory as particles, and I keep looking for some kind of stars or dots icon to depict particles.

3. I keep looking for chain link kind of icon when looking for constraints panel every time.

7 Likes

I didn’t work a lot with particles and constraints in blender before 2.80, and I can’t know what icons I need to click after 2 months using 2.80. Same with layers, scene and world. I normaly search the same parameters in this three tabs

That’s supposed to be a circuit board, really? :open_mouth:
So far I wasn’t able to identify what it is, but I agree that I cannot associate it to particles. Does anyone know the reasoning stars/sparkles weren’t used? By my experience they are pretty much standard for particle icons.

It’s not the circuit board. It’s an object, that emits particles. The very design was chosen because of it’s scalability. The icon must be legible in several sizes, including matrix of 10x10 pixels (check out the Particles Instance Modifier).
Mind, that particles are not only stars… Fur, grass and instanced objects.
Magic wand with stars is used for Grease Pencil effects.

The World icon - I’m aware of the problem. I may solve it at some point, by changing the lands layout.
Regarding the chain link for Constraints - the chain link is also used for Linked Data, so the Constraint icon had to get new symbol. A transmission belt was good depiction. And scales down well.

After months using 2.80 first time taht I know that it is a transmission And a transmission is more a physic icon. All that icons have problems

Particles.

• Objects linked to other object (could be constrainst or)
  • Objects that bounc to other object (physics)

Physics

• Object rotating around other object (Constrainst)
  • One particle rotating around other object (Particles)

Constrainst

• One object that affect other object by innercy (physics)

It’s really hard to read, also the order is not good in taht part of the program

• Object Properties
  • Modifiers Stack
  • Particles
  • Physics
  • Constraint Stack
  • Mesh Properties
  • Material Properties

A correct order must to be

• Object Properties
  • Mesh Properties
  • Materials Properties
  • Modifiers Stack
  • Constrainst Stack
  • Physics
  • Particles

24 Likes

Absolutely agree with you after month of use I’m still searching the material icon. When modeling which is the main target of blender the material and the mesh data are most used but they are too far from the object property.

1 Like

actually makes sense …
I found it annoying having to continually go up and down between render settings and setting material … which are the parts you use most in the properties panel
therefore in order of use I would put:

Active Tool Settings

Output Properties

Render Properties
 Materials Properties
 World  Properties

Object Properties
 Mesh Properties
 Modifiers Stack
 Constrainst Stack
 Physics
 Particles

it is an usage order …
if I’m modeling, I’ll find it useful that meshes, objects, modifiers are close to each other

if I am shading, I will find it useful that materials, world and render settings are as close as possible

and I’m rigghing, I will find useful that vertex groups, constraint etc … are close …
and so on…

I wish I could give this more likes. Please devs make this a reality. It makes all the difference.

Almost everyone perceives it as a circuit board, so it really doesn’t matter if you know what it is, as long as others don’t.

Point of icons is to use simplified pictures as many people as possible can associate to certain thing. Some of your icons clearly fail at that.

Scalability is way below familiarity on the list of priorities when it comes to icons.

@LudvikKoutny @Alberto
I have my own perplexities here and there as everybody, but you are talking for other people too much here.

…and giving questionable arbitrary icons meanings.

Though I agree that things can be better, for example the tab sorting by @Alberto is nice.
Also the world icon imho should not be red as in “shading color stuff”: World tab is more then shading anyway

I’m not speaking for anyone but myself.

i quoted you for “giving questionable arbitrary icons meanings” :wink:

They are neither arbitrary nor questionable. They are appreciations.

If you see a particle circling around another and you find it difficult to read it like “constrainst” or particles. Well, I’m happy for you.