Call for Content: Themes

Softimage XSI MOD theme

This is the extended theme I started 1 year ago in Blender 2.79.With many more workspaces and different possibilities in colors, I had to stick to a norm for items. I tried to imagine what would be helpful to the first time user in this theme. Pop up menus are accented in light blue for example.

Regarding the development:

• Startup layout: 95% finished according to the XSI interface matching colors
  • UV editor: 95% finished according to vertex selections, edges, faces, tears, hard edges
  • Shader Editor: 95% finished for the nodes like XSI’s nodes. Green for everything and Orange for images and output
  • NLA track: 80% finished in comparison to the XSI NLA track nodes. Even sound has it´s own color. Transitions and Compounds (grouped tracks: Meta Strips)
  • Graph editor + Timeline + Dopesheet: 97% finished in comparison with original XSI’s colors. Still missing coloring caches and other things until Blender user preferences are arranged.
  • Continuing with the development on this theme for (non existent modules on Softimage): Sculpting, Video Editor (tried to make it like the FX tree), Grease Pencil and Texture Paint. But these can be done in the general scheme of the previously stated buttons and panel color schemes. Shouldn´t be too hard.

At the top SI, and the picture on the bottom current Blender Theme.
If name for the theme is an issue, it could be renamed as “XSI_MOD_theme”.
Follow the thread here>>
Help me vote this up as official Blender release:
FIXED (Nov 22nd). Theme installs colors correctly:
Softimage_XSI_MOD_v02.xml (53.9 KB)

Sorry for this file (DO NOT DOWNLOAD / Just leaving it here for the count)
Softimage_XSI_MOD_v01.xml (53.9 KB)

49 Likes

Now that is a beautiful light theme! love it!

1 Like

Thanks! Took 6 hours to port it from 2.79 to 2.8. It is so worth it! by the time Blender 2.8 is completely running smooth, this will be a great asset to apply even for new users. It´s clean readable. Drag drop stuff works as expected except for few tweaks that Blender needs to adjust here and there.

5 Likes

Hi David. You’re doing a really good job! Recreating the color style of Softimage inside Blender is a must for all its “old” and historical users :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! Here I’ve tried to transpose more or less the 2.7x colour scheme to Pablo’s flat design, since we have a light and dark version maybe there could also be a “Blender Medium” theme:

blender_medium.xml (41.4 KB)

EDIT: I made a couple of changes to improve readability, most noticeable ones are boxes and toolbar inner colour.

24 Likes

It would also be nice to update the Modo theme. as the new blender interface has been very much inspired by Modo.

I am a long time XSI/Softimage user (since version 1.0) I was fine with the EOL, since I had Redshift 3D as a renderer, and it works real great. Redshift recently dropped support for XSI. Now I am looking to get up to speed on Blender. I only wish that Redshift supported Blender.
I was actually thinking of going to Cinema4D, but $1000 to try a new 3D animation software?
No thanks! Thanks for developing this MOD.

2 Likes

guys i am impressed by the creative variety of your themes.
almost all beautiful and harmonious. :sunglasses:
I’m sorry only for the button bar property that is not colorable at the moment

Seeing that the themes are XML files would it be possible to handle theme variants with a slider from dark to bright? Or have brightness & contrast sliders?

That way, you can tweak each theme a little by scaling the internal hex values of the theme without going in having to tweak each individual setting. The default theme could both have a darker variant and lighter one without having to create you own custom theme.

Another option might be to define an overall color palette with a few primary colors and have the theming engine handle all the small differences for sub panels, headers, etc.

The reason I bring this up is because it’s extremely tedious right now to try and find the right value to tweak.
For example, if you want to change the header color of all your panels you have to go through each one and change them individually, which seems like something that could be simplified.

6 Likes

I’d say: It’s “forever” classic user. :slight_smile: Because it should be easier for any user: new or classic to rapidly identify things on the screen.
Vote it up and thanks.

Yes, further: I want new users to have a confortable experience reading the icons and options. It is a hard job, and also Blender team is doing a fantastic remapping with never-before-seen-left click choices to continue supporting people who come from another software. Thanks for your vote.

Whoops! I accidentally had the wrong theme uploaded to Blendswap, fixed.

@ArtStallion. Open 2.79, load factory settings, in the themes editor click the + button, give it a name like 2.7X default. It should now show up with your other xml file/s.

I just registered so apparently i cant upload the theme file itself. Anyone knows how long i have to wait?
Here’s a screenshot at least

EDIT:
Now im trusted! :slight_smile:
odyssey.xml (52.5 KB)

(52.5 KB)

71 Likes

Yello theme updated with some subtle shading on certain parts plus lilac secondary select color
yello.xml (41.4 KB)

This is my take on a theme based on the blender dark one. I’ve updated the post with some more screenshots with demoscenes.

29 Likes

I’m digging this one. Great Job! It’s similar to MODO’s.

1 Like

a mess of medium/light greys with decent contrast

mostly_grey.xml via drive

15 Likes

heres my theme: Edge

edge.xml (52.5 KB)

5 Likes

maybe it’s not in Appdata, but in your Blender installation directory\2.80\scripts\presets\interface_theme

1 Like

Well, this is just a colorful theme for blender newbies, I guess it will be fine for them and also for the instructors because make it easier identify functions with colors and to distinguish editors at first glance, trying to make all more friendly using just the headers, something like the nodes.

Fell free to change whatever you want.

playskool.xml (52.4 KB)

playskool_light.xml (52.5 KB)

playskool-dark.xml (52.4 KB)

2 Likes