Call for Content: MatCaps

I am making a handpainted Zbrush SSS like matcap, once finished, I hope you like

A clay matcap with dramatic lighting

-Screenshot

-Matcap

-EXR link
here (google drive)

33 Likes

This is so awesome that we get to help add new MatCaps! This one is called Ghost Head, because it uses an image of the Ghost Head Nebula as lighting. I noticed it has some interesting metallic effects. Here’s the link to the EXR: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R9oQQHuZeSyDEeStRlFBftkMt1voMzdh/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

6 Likes

8 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Guys, try to add only the ones you will really use.
If you want to make a post to add as many matcap as possible, we can do this on BA.

This post is for default matcaps so they need to be really useful.

1 Like

Perhaps it was multiple comments with links in a short period of time. I’ve unhide them now, thanks for the poke I will keep a close eyes on hidden posts here.

Not a question, but I’d like to point out two things:

• I don’t think it makes too much sense to make the color management settings affect the matcap renderer, same goes for solid, texture and material mode (If I’m working on a night scene I don’t want to break the workbench visualization modes). At least it should be possible to opt out.
  • Seems like the way the current color override for matcaps works consists simply on multiplying the color on top of the matcap, this breaks completely the specular reflections of the matcaps. A good and not too complex solution could be to (optionally) have a second image per matcap with the specular pass that gets added on top of the diffuse. That way we could have one matcap per material type (as suggested by @Wazou) while maintainning compatibility with matcaps made for other software packages.
2 Likes

I think being able to edit matcap’s contrast with curves would be nice but thinking more…

Matcaps are specific for sculpting, Sculpted objects generaly have to the order of million polygons…
Actually all renedring speed is welcome!

So, yea, maybe we could need even have to disable anti alisasing, color management, some overlays, even use 16bit normals if possible.

1 Like

Is there a trick to adding a matcap ? I pasted mine in \2.80\datafiles\studiolights\matcap where all of the others are, but it’s not showing up. Did I miss a step ?

Only jpg are supported for now.

Alright thanks ! I had it saved as a png…
Here is my contribution.

4 Likes

1 Like

Clay matcap for sculpting

-Screenshot

-Matcap

-EXR file
here (google drive)

10 Likes

another clay matcap for sculpting

-Screenshot

-Matcap

-EXR file
here (google drive)

21 Likes

How can we bleed the sphere to the outerpart, i noticed that the once with a black or dark background have jagered edges on meshes. The Matcaps which have the colours bleeding to the edges look much nicer.

Nevermind, i used a different matcap creator. Just now noticed his background node setup

Skin

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DLMhnH2YSWbSDomMjYJSvqWoiNzCQio8/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Im done giving them names :wink:

-Screenshot

-Matcap

-EXR file
here (google drive)

(I think I’m done now)

20 Likes