You probably shouldn’t be grabbing stuff from Maya

Just make sure it is:

Your own creation
CC 0 - Public Domain
512x512
16bit EXR

5 Likes

I’m afraid it’s way more complex than that… :wink:

How so? Only complicated thing here would be the more complex AO calculations that are not really an option when you hare handling real time mesh changing.
Btw I did this with screen space normal sampling in a game engine I’m developing and it’s pretty close to the results that zbrush has. (aside from edge artifact that I’m too lazy to filter out)
So hell if a hobbyist like me can do it pretty easily than idk who can’t. :wink:

Ah, sorry, didn’t know, should I delete these posts then?

This is a Carpaint style Matcap with Clear Coat and Flakes like metallic carpaints
Exr : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iiWc0_rLgTrKAdDcIlIAcblW3vYwDvQ4/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

you cant model a perfect sphere and take a print of your art because maya owns anything you make in maya?
Oh! we can’t use photoshop to make matcaps either!

A very soft matcap with directional lighting so that it’s flippable.

Super Soft:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q-l13gfS0CgbpJ74XA_DPIUbWKTpJpI_?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Maybe I misread the post, but it sounded to me like they were taking screengrabs of Maya’s matcaps. If that’s not the case, I apologise.

1 Like

Hi everyone. On behalf of the Blender developers, I want to thank everyone for taking time to post some excellent matcaps in here. It’s hard to pick out the best, because many of them are really well made.

I’ve gone through all the matcaps in here and tested them on both organic and hard surface models. I’ve picked out 20 different matcaps that seemed to work well and provide different utility. Here are the preliminary selects:

As you can see, we have:

• skin/flesh
  • car paint
  • ceramic
  • lead
  • Anisotropic
  • Chrome
  • Toon
  • three model checking matcaps (dot, reflection check and normal)
  • resin
  • various types of clay and mud

Some of the clay ones do have some overlap, but I had a hard time picking them out, and they seem to be a very popular matcap category. The seemingly subtle differences have a large effect on a real scene, and I think it’s useful to switch between them to see your model in a new light.

Feedback welcome, of course.

Cheers

10 Likes

Very good matcaps, congratulations to all the participants!!

3 Likes

It’s a good selection, only that could be good see the metal from jonlampel between selected. But good selection. Thanks to people that participate.

3 Likes

Not sure about this selection, they are okay-ish but it could be better imo. So my advice is to at least include those 2 matcaps:

There are nothing like this in your list, also they got a reasonably good amount of votes. (if that means something).

Also, 20 matcaps is the limit? Seems like a very small number. Zbrush for example ships with 57 matcaps, you should consider increase the number of matcaps a little, at least to 30.

Thx.

1 Like

Hi there - this is a good and useful matcap.

However, it’s not technically good enough for inclusion. The borders between the shaded sections are both jaggy and ‘dirty’. which is clearly visible when in use, too.

Here’s a closeup:

Other notes after testing:

• The highlight location seems wrong relative to the shading?
  • And lastly, using straight black might be a problem, because then details disappear completely, also when combining with Cavity.

If you update to fix these issues, I would love to see this matcap included.

I don’t think we formally agreed on a fixed number, but the idea was to keep the list quite short. We now have an easy way to add custom ones, and with the forthcoming asset management system, it will be even easier still.

The toon matcap you linked to I also like, but it has some technical problems - I wrote back to the author to get an update, then I don’t mind including it also.

1 Like

+1 The List is great but Jonlampels Metal would be nice to see - especially since the list doesn’t contain a neutral metal Matcap as it is now.

Honestly I think most Matcaps should be kind of color neutral since we can tint them as we like now anyway.

a matte, dark grey plastic almost black.

14 Likes

Are you referring to this one?

Testing on both kinds of surfaces here, works esp well on hard surfaces:

3 Likes