Call for Content: MatCaps

Yeah, sorry I wrote the name incorrectly

It’s really usefull for hardsurfaces modelling

So which one did you mean?

TO jonlampel matcap, the one that you show in the message with head and car.

Based on feedback, I’ve updated the list of selects:

There were too many too similar clay types. I included the metal one discussed above. This leaves us with 18 included by default. 2.7 had 24, but there was no ability to add custom ones, so we’d like to ship with fewer than before.

5 Likes

Here is a matcap I’ve been working on for about a month and after a lot of testing and refining I think it has become very useful for sculpting and general shading.
It’s completely grayscale so object’s colors will not be tinted by the matcap.

Here it is in action on the wasp-bot:

Here’s the link to the EXR files (16 and 32 bit versions):
Link (dropbox)

4 Likes

I find that the red car paint matcap isn’t all too helpful with shapes and reflections. It’s a little too soft, and doesn’t have enough contrast, almost like a clearcoat clay matcap. There’s a comparison to see what I mean below. I think this could be solved by adding more contrasting reflections like the old one had.

2 Likes

Hey @billrey, nothing stops us from editing the other matcaps to fix technical issues.

We had twenty selected matcaps, now we have 18, I think we can add a few other matcaps.

Personally, I think we’ll miss more organic matcaps and a few ones with really a good artistic look like Jade-like matacap from @mfhscoobydoo

I agree those are nice. Personally, I wouldn’t mind including a few more, perhaps so that we end up back with 24 like in 2.79.

However, there are arguments from other developers, who’d like Blender to ship with a minimal amount of included data.

One of the problems with including many, is that there’s currently no way to remove or hide the built-in ones. If there was, I think it would be less of a problem to include more, as users could then easily remove or hide the ones they never use.

2 Likes

You are welcome to contribute an example matcap as you suggest - or perhaps the author of the car paint one is willing to create variations.

To me it seems like the problem is the view-transformation being set to Filmic by default. The matcap itself contains more contrast than the example above shows.
But I agree that it can still be improved, for example the position of the specular highlight could be optimized. So give me feedback and I’ll try creating variations without these issues.

Yeah, that’s a recurring problem, unfortunately matcaps ignore none of the color space settings, I would disable everything except curves.

@anon18120698 I totally agree since I am designing matcaps for no further transformation to be applied. And still enabling curves allows for some artistic control.
Maybe it would be a good idea to have an option to disable view transformations completely?

Here are the selected matcaps, visualised together:

Basic Shading/Diffuse

Clay

Ceramics

Geometry Checking

Metals

Resin

Toon

5 Likes

@billrey Is the first of the diffuse matcaps you posted the one I posted about 2h ago?
I’m just curious…

I actually did try to see if I could make a high contrast matcap, and came out with this. It’s a little to bright and bloody, but maybe someone could make something out of the horror haha. (Unfortunately I can’t use 2.8’s wasp bot for the showcase since I get that viewport bug, but this is more of a hard surface matcap anyway. Used one of the HDRIs from HDRI Haven and the matcap creator linked in the first few posts of this thread. I think I’ll play with it a little more to see if I can get something usable out of it.

Link if anyone wants to have a play or something - https://drive.google.com/open?id=10xiyjs-kyeg_lxrFLH00J0wl5UB7Husj

2 Likes

So, another wack at a more reflective variation, I think this one’s better than my last interesting attempt. I couldn’t get the filmic contrast settings to save for some reason so couldn’t really test different contrast types, but oh well I suppose. What do you think?

Excellent list billray! Only thing I noticed that no matcaps with pronounced fresnel made it into final list. It is useful to have matcap suitable for flatter surfaces such as oceans. I recently had a problem previewing ocean surface in the viewport, I couldn’t find suitable matcap to test the waves neither in the 2.70 nor among new matcaps in 2.80. So out of necessity I created this matcap. It would be neat if people submitted more matcaps which could be useful for testing liquids and not necessarily made for vanilla sculpting. Also it would be nice to have generic pronounced fresnel matcap, maybe for previewing subtle wrinkles on a rather flat surface

9 Likes

@billrey

Earlier you said

“There were too many too similar clay types”

but in standard blender, matcaps are almost always used for sculpting. And having a nice variety of clay matcaps that are easy on the eyes and show detail well is very important, specifically matcaps that will not contrast too harshly with the new default blender theme.

One of the most common complaints about the old blender matcaps was that the actually useful sculpting matcap selection was extremely limited, just because they are similar looking doesn’t mean they look the same using them for hours on end perfecting a sculpture. Its very nice to have a couple lightly variated clay matcaps that aren’t to intense.

And as @laudaris said, we don’t really have any high contrast rim lighted matcaps, and the 2.79 matcap that filled that niche was pretty bad. I don’t want to sound narcissistic or selfish recommending my own matcap but this one is actually very useful in these cases, and especially for sculpting https://devtalk.blender.org/t/call-for-content-matcaps/737/45?u=mfhscoobydoo

anyways, best of luck choosing from the communities contributions, I hope I’ve been helpful, and I’m sure that the final pick will be fantastic.

8 Likes

Imo, would be cool so split all the working matcaps between classifications and make a public pool where people choose the 20 ones of each category they really like so we can get a good sample, because although the current selected ones are really good, there are other matcaps that deserve a chance either.