Call for Content: MatCaps (source file)

Another example of a carpaint shader suitable for modeling cars (no dithering though, so it is harder to detect distortions at the moment).

Also, red wax author posted two versions of Brown Clay, but correct matcap (without blue haze and with proper contrast) was called as “old” one for some reason.
It has no shadows contrast problem.

6 Likes

these should be by default in Blender just saying

Well, yes, it works so much better than current one (BrownClay5.exr)
Link to the post with both matcaps

5 Likes

Guys, two points.
Original matcap Based on one of “industry standard” zBrush Brown Wax matcap. Thousands of 3D artist use it every day. And it just perfect for his tasks.
But zBrush have slightly different viewport rendering than Blender, and dynamic screen space effects are different. As result without cavity this matcap it looks less cool, but even with cavity it still not perfect especially in shadows.
So after comments in original thread it was adjusted and successfully landed to blender master, as soon as most of users was ok with it design.
Second point. Before B3D 2.8 it was a reason to discussions about default matcaps as soon as user have no way to add and easily use their own matcaps. But original blender brown matcap was similar and dull 3DSmax brown matcap. That always was looks so “cheap” so even max users tend to avoid it.
Your changes to make shadows even more lighter just make this clay as already removed old Blender matcap. But community already removed it to this new.

And just as an idea. Based on previous discussion and some experience in cg. Are you really sure that this is a problem with matcap itself but not your monitor settings? It is a big chance that on not expansive or old monitors shadows become much darker than they are. And they looks much darker than on calibrated monitors with proper brightness/contrast settings?

Anyway. This matcap are CC0 and user always can adjust it as him need and with new Blender matcap presets just load and use it any time him needed.

Sure, as a workflow designer I asked several employers and tested multiple monitors.
This burnt shadows issue can be spotted everywhere, the chosen matcap (left one) is painful to use.

4 Likes

I compared in more detail. I hope the idea @1D_Inc becomes clear.

1 Like

Ah, finally got what you mean. Definitely first version was better. Just someone in original thread was not happy about dark shadows…
to be honest, I thought before release it will be some time to check what was chosen, but files used as is.

2 Likes

Yes. It is about shadows.
The bright part of this matcap is awesome by the way. Not sure about saturated tint in “current version” though, it gives slight SSS effect, so desaturated “old brown” flare looks more solid, which is better for shape recognition.

I think it is not about shadow darkness, but about shadow size - its dark spot is slightly larger than in other variations.
Not sure if it is good or bad - I can’t find critical issues there to form strong opinion on this, anyway its contrast gradient is better. Maybe its shadow part can be made brighter without such a destructive effect?
In overall, your “old brown” matcap is one of the best Red Wax variations I’ve ever seen.
A very nice job!
Looks better than the zbrush version I think.

Trying to safely reduce the shadow area of this matcap, so now there is more information about the surface in the shadow area, while the amount of information on the light side remains the same.
LINK to BrownClay_1D6.exr

6 Likes

The right side of this environment makes sense to me, but I have a hard time with the left. The main horizontal light seems to end in a pucker at the left. Looking at it in full size it seems like the lower lighter portion is a reflection of the odd shape above it, but the right side does not have any similar reflections on the floor. It just looks all wrong there.

4 Likes

Yes, it is wip, a concept for testing possible approach - to compare with default carpaint solution.
That’s why it is jpg, not exr.
We made 12 variations and combined the best of them like this behind the scenes, that’s why it have weird left side transitions and strange reflections, but it already allow to check how main light stripe works (it is used often to check the curvature during car modeling, since it is more eyes friendly shader than zebra)

It is still in progress, we are working on it, but it need some time to brew and test fine solution in practice before submission.

2 Likes

Ah, then no worries!

may be like this? I still have feelings that shadows and overall look too light.

2 Likes

Did you tried BrownClay_1D6.exr?
It works pretty nice, its shadow zone is significantly reduced.

1D6 by @1D_Inc

2021 by @ssh4

and here how this two matcaps looks. I think so compressed shadows make it usable.

1 Like

It seems I’ve got the benefit of 2.79 wax - it useful in edit mode, because contain no shadow area.

I like 1D6 because of significately wider bright zone with keeping the same level of overall contrast (jaw is a nice example here) and soft neutral saturation.
It is very nice for viewing, but I am not sure about sculpting (because of direct from camera flare) or modeling (shadow zone).
I need time to form proper opinion.

We also stucked with carpaint - we still can’t create more useful carpaint than it was in 2.79
I don’t know how it was created, but it is great in practical use.

1 Like

I still prefer a bit more vivid and detailed 2021.
but fix it a little bit more

2021 fin vs RedWax
(image removed on copyright grounds)

1D6 vs RedWax
(image removed on copyright grounds)

The problem is that vivid is more for sculpting rather than editing.
I am not sure that we have to clone zbrush shader that close.

this shader for sculpting.

And still is, but also take into account modeling demands as well.