Call for Content: Default Brushes

A lot of my work involves dealing with baked (mesh) hair cards on models imported from other programs. For my purposes, it’d be very useful to have a variant of the pose/boundary brush specifically tailored to strips of quads.

For instance, you use an edge attribute to mark “scalp” edges which will be locked in place. When you use the brush to grab a strip, it proportionally edits everything between the scalp edges and the brush. Everything beyond the brush moves rigidly along with your gesture (100% influence), which solves issues with using something like elastic deform, where you drag its midsection and everything above and below stays in place. This brush would also be “smart” about making sure edges parallel to the scalp edges remain at roughly the same length, to ensure the texture on the hair cards isn’t getting warped too much.

It would also be nice to have different ways to curl, twist, and bend hair according to the normals of the faces “above” each edge in the mesh strip. Something like using Individual Origins on a chain of bones.

Speaking of a brush presets, isnt there a necessity to replicate Planar brush? Flatten brush has nudge vestigial behaviour and Scarp follows the relief, none of them keep plane set by initial point by default (normal and plane checkboxes are disabled)

Scrape brush seems to be ok, but behaviour of Flatten brush is suspicious, since it does not actually flatten anything by default, so enabling normal checkbox for it seems to be reasonable.

1 Like

here we go!
Yes this is way closer to what I mean.

Yeah, many folks coming from zbrush asked for this, and Pablo delivered. He even wanted to improve it further, but tbh, the way it is right now it’s already very usable.
The patch is there, the big problem is, well, you know what the problem is :v:

Sure, just wanted to mention that crease brush problem is not a problem of a default preset.

I agree some brushes need development as well.There are limits to the brush settings.
Even though this thread shouldn’t be focused too much on feature proposals,
it’s great to get feedback on how the brush settings can be improved to make some brush configurations easier or possible :+1:

But apart from that, it’s good to find a ‘close enough’ brush within the current state of Blender :wink:

1 Like

It’s a workaround to make “draw sharp” draw sharp. Brrrrh!

It uses a gradient texture, and ‘rake’ option.
If legacy textures are deprecated in the future, there could be an image-based gradient instead.

1 Like

I started adding some more brushes based on proposals. I’ll push this soon. Then they can be found in the file and tested.
Plenty of suggestions that I’ll need to investigate. If you have prototypes of brushes to share that would help!

@nickberckley The brush texture wasn’t packed into the file. Can you reupload?

Many great suggestions!
I like the button brush but I think that one is too specific. A fantastic base for some textured brushes tho!

That seems like a very general change for the brush engine. You can force this behavior with tight spacing, low strength and maybe textures. But this feature might be outside of the scope for now.

That will remain a per Scene setting so it’s easy to set this up via your startup file.

That one is fascinating! I think we can get close with the crease brush but not with this ‘curling inwards’ creasing. Would be cool to implement something like that because … yes this brush is very hacky.

Ah of course WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

I think the brush works well. It would be ideal to get this to work without the texture. I wonder how important the stretched texture is anyway :thinking:

Also because one negative effect it creates are ‘wrinkles’ along stroke direction changes.

Other than that I’d suggest to change the texture mapping to “Area Plane”.

1 Like

If its set to View Plane its by accident.
I kinda like those wrinkles actually, kinda feels like what should be there. Since this is mostly useful for organic sculpting, it feels like either cloth, fat, or dough wrinkles

1 Like

In that case maybe the effect can be pushed more. So it generally creates jittering and varying creases. Like wrinkles on joints.

But it also makes this brush less generic. Not great for “Essentials”.

1 Like

I think main benefit of this brush is that it works very well when you do stroke over another crease. It pushes creases together very nicely and creates nice pinching. That is effect that I can’t replicate without this brush

2 Likes

That’s a great point! There needs to be a brush (or multiple) to polish creases.

1 Like

i would like to know that as well. the asset shelf doesnt seem friendly enough to be the main place to select brushes.
the toolbar must remain available, even if just to put our favorites brushes there.

also how many brushes will exist in that essential pack? 20, 100? is there a limit?
hope it will be well balanced, and not end up with 60 crease brushes and just a few of the rest.

tbh, i think dobarro’s abandoned brushes should be added to blender first, before adding a bunch of presets :neutral_face:

1 Like

@ThinkingPolygons @TheRedWaxPolice I wouldn’t like to start a discussion in this thread about the asset shelf, as that’s easily off topic.
Feel free to ask in blender.chat in the #sculpt-paint-texture channel :+1:
Me (and the devs on the asset project) will be happy to know of any issues about the asset shelf.

When in comes to the size of the essentials brushes library:
It should be a minimum amount. Each brush needs to have a distinct use and behavior. Variations and mixed brushes are also welcome, but the total amount of brushes should remain overseeable in two rows in the asset shelf.
General brushes in a single row.

We’re also discussing options to hide brushes (in you don’t need certain brushes) and user created dynamic catalogs like “Favourites” to customize which brushes are shown in different contexts.

6 Likes

Snake hook brush set to projected could be a useful brush preset. :smile: Seems fairly distinct…

I definitely would like a Grab brush like this to be included. It is very useful :smiley:

I pushed another update to the svn repository with tweaked and new brushes based on your suggestions and some more experimenting.
It was really interesting to try differences between Creases and Draw Sharp brush configurations.

The current Crease brush is very useless, unless it’s specifically used to polish existing creases slightly.
I tried out @JulianPerez suggestions in the V2 version, which leads to much better results but a lot more pinching of the topology.
The V3 is my own alternative with less pinching and instead using Accumulate. The creases are just as sharp but strokes shouldn’t go back & forth to avoid unevenly deep creases.
The strength can be adjusted very well to change the depth of the crease without loosing the sharpness.

Other changes I added:

• Draw Sharp = Falloff is now “Sharper” instead of “Sharp”
  • Scrape Multiplane =
    • “Plane Angle” set to 0 (Turns out this value was always additive)
    • Decreased Normal Radius (Lowers the sampled area for shallower scraping)
  • Mask = Increased Hardness. Lower spacing. Full strength
  • Improved sculpt painting brushes
  • Density = Added auto-smooth
  • Clay Strips = Tweaked based on Outgang suggestions (Needs testing)
  • Clay = Tweaked auto-smooth and disabled radius pressure sensitivity
  • Nudge & Thumb = Lowered Normal Radius to detect surface direction better
  • Area Plane is now default on all sculpt brush texture mappings
  • View Plane is now default on all Vertex & Texture brushes texture mappings
  • Increased Spacing on many brushes for better feel
  • Some brushes also have a very subtle Stabilized Stroke for smoother strokes

New brushes for testing:

• Chip brush (Scrape with locked normal and plane. Higher area radius)
  • Smear Expand
  • Clay Scraper (Mix of Clay and Scrape/Fill)
  • Airbrush (Paint Brush)
  • Grab 2D (Projected falloff)
  • Inflate Smooth (Adds subtle auto-smooth to prevent noise & incurling. Best for avoiding manual smoothing after)
24 Likes

I like that Crease V3 a LOT, it’s a massive improvement over Crease Original

3 Likes

Now I’m tryin to force this sort of Orb brush carving via texture nodes. @robin.hohni crease brush was pretty inspiring :smiley:
Maybe there’s a good way to achieve this already. Because the surface curvature shouldn’t matter for this at all. Almost all brushes are using a flat area plane anyway.

19 Likes