I love blender. And I’d love to pretty much do everything using this amazing pieze of software.
But there is one area, where it’s currently really difficult to reccomend using it and it’s texture painting. Here are some of my reasons:
- First of all there is not that good of a connection between Texture Painting and the Node editor. Blender can pretty much be used for most stuff you’d do in substance designer, but everything needs so much more clicking work by the user.
- The brush system is not that great to be honest … you can’t do that much with textures, the blending has a kind of dated look to me, important tools such as a ruler, a stabilizer, tilt pressure controls or more easy to use layering seem to be missing.
- the baking probably also needs a bit of love regarding, what kind of maps are bakable and also what kind of options you have for baking (the name matching from substance designer but done with collections’d be soo nice…)
And I’d like to hear your thoughts:
- What existing features have I missed?
- Are there great mods I don’t know about?
- What are your Ideas on fixing it?
- Do you like to work with me on an addon to improve it? (I can help with a bit of scripting knowledge, a good bit of UI knowledge and a lot of artists, that’d like to share their needs)
- Do you even think it’s feasible to make a new brush system work?
- What are your favorite Texturing/Painting tools and what’s great about them?
Feel free to post your Ideas, I’ll gradually also post mine as well, but I’m also a bit curious about unbiased feedback, so I’ll post my own Ideas a bit later…