Blender UI paper cuts

The two types of menus are different, the object interaction mode, and orientation modes, similar to the icon+arrow dropdowns are ‘pick-one’ type lists.
Shading and overlay aren’t, they’re large panels of many loosely related settings, they need their own style, because they are different things - thus they have no icon, and don’t change icons like a ‘picker’ would.

There are other panels like this, they too use text + arrow. Look in the topbar in sculpt or vertex paint mode. there is an exception though where mix is just a picker list, but it is, for the most part, consistent. Also check the UV editor header (Display, on the right), same thing, a panel with loosely related settings falls under a text + arrow dropdown. There’s a clear style guide in place that puts these types of panels above other buttons in the hierarchy. How would you do these as just an arrow? they have no accompanying ‘related’ toggle-button.

The shading menu is separate from the current shading mode, it’s position next to the shading modes is just an indicator that it deals with related settings, since it is not a ‘picker’ menu, it does not need to change text. Overlay is the same.

And lastly, the scene and view layer are their own widget that is consistent across almost the entire blender ui, when dealing with data blocks, they don’t ascribe entirely to the style that a picker list or a panel of settings do, because they have that entire widget. Internally within the widget though, the picker list style is still consistent anyway, as an icon + arrow is used to indicate a dropdown list of items to pick from, the same as proportional editing, snapping etc.

That doesn’t translate well to any other locations where this style might be necessary, where there is no space for added padding, for example.

These styles are consistently used throughout blender.

2 Likes

Just want to say that I like seeing the words in the 3dview bar items/menus like “Shading” and “Overlays”, and I’d actually like to have the option to see more of this rather than collapsing things to more icons that I have to memorize.

That’s true – I rarely (if ever) disable all overlays simultaneously (I generally pick and choose), but I suppose this can be useful to some kinds of people.

I don’t hate the current Overlay (button + text) for that specific use-case, but I still feel like a “disable ALL overlays” checkbox/toggle might be better-off inside the dropdown (for additional screen real-estate, and to minimize “Button Soup™”).
The way I see it, it’s not a very often-used feature (and if someone does use it often, why not devote it to a shortcut key indicated in the hint-text instead?)

2 Likes

That’s fair, but what about dual-rows? – The same spacing can be compacted if rows are doubled in certain button-heavy areas (sort of like how the tools on the left in the modeling window are able to be grown/shrunk but are otherwise left-justified – maybe this could work with other control types too?)

Like @eobet, I was looking for this option a while back, and ‘normals’ did not mean anything to me in this context.

Normals, by definition, are perpendicular to the object. If anything, the fishbones are depicting the plane of the object, which the normals are perpendicular to, as well as the direction of the curve. I don’t know what the best word would be, but they’re definitely not normals.

Someone already mentioned this, but wow, the proportional editing on/off is really difficult to see!

Also, I was prop modding a very large object, forgot to turn it off, and then went to scale a very small part of another object, and became surprised when the entire object scaled up, despite my selection. Turns out, the circle showing the proportional influence was so large it was outside of my entire viewport and thus invisible.

2 Likes

posted in the other UI thread…

I wonder if one of my most loathed features of 3D Studio Max just wormed itself into Blender:

1. So I made a few collections. Some are hidden, some are shown.

2. I now import an FBX file, with many objects. They don’t show up.

3. Problem solving ensues, and lo and behold, a hidden collection was the active one.

4. However, since there’s no hierarchy in the collection view, I need to switch back and forth between the views in order to select and move everything to a visible collection.

I absolutely hate being forced to switch between two views. :tired_face:

I want ALL the information in ONE outliner view!

3 Likes

and bring back remove doubles to the edge and face context menus, please

13 Likes

For many years (versions) since I tried Blender, I wish that whenever I close the User Preferences window it will REMEMBER it’s last size and position but NOOO! it’s always back to it’s tiny size shape on the top left of my primary screen (I use 4 screens btw).

It’s Already Working on Other Windows:
Just like Blender remembers position and size of my other windows on my other screens as I save a project file, and I couldn’t work or learn blender without this wonderful feature.
So why not let that annoying User Preferences window to Remember last size and position by default?

The bad Experience:
Every time I open it, I will have to expand it’s size since it won’t show everything and scrolling on this tiny window isn’t very user-friendly.

7 Likes

Yeah, and not only that… Actually all the features and tools that works on all 3 modes should be available on all 3 context menus…

5 Likes

Except the cases you make temporal changes for specific work and want to forget it after closing Blender.
Autosave should be left for Inkscape or something with less confusing prefrences.

would be wise to put this as an optional preference, would avoid a lot a of arguments, i have my owns about auto save preferences because im constantly testing and exploring the software, specially the builder versions and yes there is a lot of buttons to press and change.

Not so much a frustrating problem as is a hotkey suggestion. Could it be possible to add a “Disable Overlay” hotkey? I’m not sure how to do it and the tutorials for doing so are quite hidden.

isn’t alt+shift+z working there?

1 Like

Ah! that does work! Thank you! I was looking for it and I couldn’t find any documentation or keymap for it. Thanks!

When does it end! A preference for Preferences! Does the Save Preferences preference itself get saved?

This is getting circular :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The interactions in the Object menu for setting a Parent and setting a Collection are vastly different.

• One pops up a custom floating window that lets you select a collection (ok, but ugly).
  • The other pops up a tool options window with basically no options (still don’t know how to use it).

EDIT: Ok, so apparently you parent the selection to the active object. A very Blender thing, that a beginner probably has no concept of and get no guidance from the UI, especially since the Collection interaction is presented differently.

This reminds me of how the array tool works with circular arrays… you need a second object and then rotate that object. How the heck is a new user supposed to figure that out? You need to do an online search just to understand that basic operation…

Selecting a hierarchy in the outliner only selects it in the viewport (but we’ve been over this).

A second papercut, however, is that even if you select multiple objects in the outliner (blue highlight), clicking any visibility icon only disables the object you clicked, not the entire selection (which you still need to select manually, each and every last one).

Sculpt brush / texture / rake has never worked very well, maybe it’s time to improve it.

10 Likes