Blender UI paper cuts

In local view, both the shortcuts for “move to collection” and the menu options for that are disabled.

You can still, however, move any object to a different collection using the outliner.

So, I don’t see why that functionality has to be disabled in the menus.

Can anyone guess why the “convert to mesh” option is greyed out?

Spoiler

The last de-selected object was the empty, and not one of the mesh objects.

As to why I want to use the “convert to mesh” option in the first place… well, I found a thread about this from 2015 and I believe it’s still the only way to apply modifiers to multiple objects (and there still doesn’t seem to be a way to only apply a single modifier to multiple selected objects).

Sequence Editor

Strips are hidden behind the timeline marker bar if the sequences are scaled down.

1 Like

Cross link to here:

Modifier warnings related to to “Auto Smooth” in Weighted Normals, Normal Edit, Data Transfer and Bevel refer to “Mesh Settings” as opposed to “Object Data Properties”.

5 Likes

Edit mode should also have a warning when there is a non-unfiorm scale just like in sculpt mode.
warning

Here is an example where some tools don’t work correctly like extrude along normals…
I have run into this issue many times and after many steps of modeling i forgot that you have to apply scale before using certain tools and had to redo few parts, this could easily be avoided with a reminder to apply the scale.

Left before - Right After.

10 Likes

Harleya.

I’m ready to start on this from W/c 16th March 2020.

In removing ‘:’ are we talking about just removing it from things like the N Panel?

Does this include anything in the Modifiers & Constraint Panels?

And what about Blender Addons & Contrib?

Query over the layout style within the Properties Editor.

With the Eevee Render Engine selected. If you expand out all the items under the Render Properties tab, for the most part most items are indented in from the right hand side.

With the Cycles Render Engine selected. If you expand out all the items under the Render Properties tab, the opposite it true. There is no right hand side margin.

Is there a reason?
Is one layout style preferred over the other?

Query over the use of Check Boxes to Enable/Disable certain features within the Properties Editor.

With the Render Engine set to Eevee and the Render Properties tab selected.

1. Ambient Occlusion:
    With the Check box unchecked, you can expand it and whilst the all then settings are somewhat muted, you can still make changes to the options. For the most part, within the Properties Editor and even across most of the Blender interface as a whole, this seems to be the case.

2. Color Management (bottom of the list). Expand this out, and there is a separate entity with a Check Box, called ‘Use Curves’. With the Check Box unchecked, the settings seem somewhat muted, but this time, you cannot make any changes until the Check Box is checked.

Why the difference?

i need to make a better chinese translation in UI, but i found out that i can’t add new msgid item in PO file.
for example, those 3 “parent” items only has 2 msgid, how can i separate those shared msgid?
thanks for your reply.

I think this was missed or something, the Annotation settings in the topbar don’t have onion skinning there.
I would rather have it there instead of the sidebar, it’s much faster to access it and if you don’t need it then it’s not in your way.

1 Like

The strips hidden behind the marker area has already been reported as a bug here: https://developer.blender.org/T57976

1 Like

Linked Collections automatically get an empty parented to it so you can move it around.

Linked Objects do not (you can’t even manually add it to a linked object, they’re forever, rather uselessly, frozen in place).

That feels very inconsistent.

EDIT: Is it a bug that after I’ve deleted linked objects, and try to do append on those objects instead, they also become linked instead? I de-selected “localize all” at one point, and selected it again, but perhaps it didn’t stick? My Blender is either way permanently stuck at linking everything now, and not appending, it seems, even between restarts… :frowning:

1 Like

This is larger than a papercut, but I had a simple object (a cube) that I boolean subtracted from several other objects, some containing 5+ million polygons.

I then went into local mode and edit mode to scale the cube a bit, and it was so excruciatingly slow that I just had to cancel it.

Seems all modifiers of hidden objects are still real-time evaluated in local mode?

I don’t use the gizmo, this idea doesn’t work for everybody.

1 Like

I just submitted suggestion to RCS and I think it perfectly fits here. Arrow which shows sorting order in File dialog for some reason points in other direction than any other file manager like Explorer or Total commander.

9 Likes

Just seems like it ought to be possible here…

4 Likes

I’m sure it’s not included for a reason, I imagine there is something fundamental about the UVs that makes synced island selection impossible. For instance in vertex select mode one 3D vertex can equal multiple 2D UV coordinates if there is a seam.

In the mean time you can switch to face mode, hover over an island and press L for linked, which is kind of the same. Although it’s not really a proper substitute.

1 Like

Maybe the oldest complaint - I totally concur. I’m sure it’ll be addressed one day.