Blender UI paper cuts

Yes, but also for the the System shortcuts even though those aren’t added by users. What I mean is the system shortcuts, like “Document” or “Desktop” are just the names of those folders. If you map your desktop to “d:\desktop\junk”, for a bad example, it would be shown as “junk” when it should always show as “Desktop”. It would be clearer, be translatable, etc.

Just realized I could double click on the favorite and change the name. disregard papercut.

1 Like

when starting a new object, I wish the text entry field for dimensions could smartly interpret strings like:

“17.4 x 8.8 x 6.8 cm”
“6 feet”
“1 1/3 x 2 x 4 in”
“6.8 x 2 x 2.6 inches”

and autoconvert from those units into my scene’s units.

it would be oh so handy when making things that are scaled properly from the start.

Blender already handles unit conversions for you nicely. But that’s a good idea to support typing in all three dimensions. However that definitely belongs as a feature request in Right Click Select, not a papercut here. Post it there and I’d be happy to vote for it!

2 Likes

Awesome Idea. thanks!

Some popup menus appear centered on mouse cursor, others not.
Here is example where invoke_props_dialog invoked centered on mouse cursor, but invoke_props_popup is not.

Since I call operator popup (F9) very frequently it became very annoying to always correct popup position because it appears on the right from where my mouse cursor is.

3 Likes

To my knowledge it’s currently not really possible to assign a hotkey to Join Area. I find it takes too much effort to manually drag the little corners of areas to join them or to right click on the separator and choose Join Area.

There is a great way to Split Areas via Hotkey, and we can even choose which direction to split, after hitting the Hotkey. However, for Join area, if you assign a hotkey, it’s only going to work based on those exact coordinates on the screen. So basically the hotkey is useless. Please give us the possibility to Join the area the mouse hovers over, by using a hotkey.

2 Likes

Right now blender file browser has tabs for volumes, system, favorites
Windows 10 supports pinning locations to ‘quick access’ (it seems this was called favorites before)

It would be very beneficial if either system or favorites could mirror this quick access from Windows 10.
This way I wouldn’t have to keep replicating things over between the two file browsers.

2 Likes

Why rotation mode for bones are quaternion by default since everything else are Euler?

Sometimes I just forget to change it and animate it in quaternion. Really annoying, because Euler are easier to fix curves and, I wouldn’t say it but since animation is the most alike between softwares, it is industry standard.

So, is there a reason to keep like this or could we move to Euler as default instead?

1 Like

I noticed inconsistency in snapping options popup. Affect option from 3D viewport affects UV editor too, but in UV editor there is no option to change it. Other things are pretty consistent in both toolbars, is there a reason why it is that different?

4 Likes

You should report this as a bug. This goes beyond paper cut status.

1 Like

papercuts:

1. The tool tips rarely show keyboard shortcuts.
  2. The image of the axis at top-right disappears when moving, rotating and scaling. Sometimes they’re necessary for orientation.
  3. The state for Snap is shared between the 3D View and the Node Editor. It’s annoying and such an anti-feature.
  4. the keyboard press ‘o’ for Proportional Editing (proportional to what?) should (In my opinion) be triggered after having initiated a transformation. So G (for grab), then O, for proportional editing should work (In my opinion)
5 Likes

Hello, i don’t know if it’s a papercut or just that I haven’t found it, I’d like to know where the 2D tracking display option in 2.8.

1282_blender_Blender_26_06-19_09h57(224x484)_XaLI

1 Like

In many search box the behaviour is that when you type some characters the results below are filtered to show any string that contains those characters. e.g. if you have a material named GengisKhan and you type ‘sk’ it will show up; if you type ‘xr’ in filebrowser’s search box all *.exr files are shown; and so on.
This very convenient behaviour is not featured in the command search (F3). In this field you have to type the beginning of the words.
I wish it was just like the other way

3 Likes

This is probably intentional to avoid a very long list of results when you type a short string of letters. Maybe a wildcard at the beginning could be allowed, for example *sk (that should work like *sk* to not complicate things much)

3 Likes

The constraints on the ends of the stack lose the icon with the arrow because its function is not necessary, but this alters the alignment, and in addition to the visual disorder, confuses when you want to raise the order of the last constraint, since the vertical arrow jumps from the right position to the left. Involuntarily I go up and down the same Constraint for this reason.

23 Likes

I like it :slightly_smiling_face:. I’d be fine even without graying out the two buttons on the ends of the stack. It could be like the modifier stack, where the raise and lower buttons are clickable (not grayed out), even at the ends. Except at the ends, that button just doesn’t do anything when it is clicked.

2 Likes

There are many many improvements that could be done to the modifier stack UI.

After 2.80, we will lay out a plan for how to handle modifiers in the future, when the various parts will be influenced by nodes, and how this will affect the UI and interaction.

8 Likes

Note that @wevon is talking about the constraints there though. :slight_smile:

Hopefully what William wrote is valid also if you say constraints :wink:

1 Like