Blender UI paper cuts

viewport shading settings don’t get saved with files.

Each time I load a file I first have to go enable cavity, switch screen/world mode, set distance, adjust strength, etc.

I’d rather not save this into the startup file (if you can do that) as I only really want it on particular files, and in any case for something like world cavity distance, that would depend on the scale of the scene.

(I put this here because it doesn’t feel entirely like a bug or a full-fledged feature request, but it is ui-related.)

1 Like

Viewport shading does, in fact, get saved with files.

1 Like

Heck, that’s embarassing. At some point I must have unchecked “load ui” in the file browser and forgotten about it, and meanwhile I’ve been opening the file from the splash screen. I hereby retract my paper cut.

1 Like

Could Load UI be disabled as default when the file is from the blender 2.7x?

1 Like

yes from the preference —> save & loading ->blend files-> load ui

Nitpick alert :sweat_smile:

No matter how wide the window is, these options are always squished:

There’s also a spacing issue in the scale option of the export menu (though the whole thing could be greatly cleaned up):

8 Likes

yeah that window needs to be cleaned up a bit

I agree, it’s tons frustrating to forget you’re in object mode and you tap 2 to go into edge mode and all your collections magically disappear. Not to mention it’s not obvious how to get back (CTRL+Z). Toggling the 1 key ought to switch back. IMO, I’d like to set the default functionality to nothing, and let power uses check a box in User Prefs to be able to use it.

Isn’t the playhead supposed to be rounded and anti-aliased?
Why it looks like this?

4 Likes

Yep, anti-aliasing please.

gizmo

8 Likes

It also annoys me slightly that the navigation buttons next to the axes aren’t anti-aliased :wink:

1 Like

the navigation buttons and this 3d gizmo should be separated. For the moment you can either hide them all or show all which is annoying. I m not bother too much with the gizmo even I barely used it becuase its a nice UI element. The navigation buttons on the other hand, not much so

1 Like

Should be a bit rounded and anti-aliased-ish. Mine looks like this right now at 1x scale:

playheadnew

I say “-ish” because it is a solid shape with an anti-aliased border around it so there are some imperfections where the two parts meet. For (boring) reasons we can have nice anti-aliasing (by redrawing with some jitter) or we can have 100% opacity, but not both at once.

For almost all cases you’d never notice that our nicely anti-aliased shapes are not completely opaque because they are drawn over something solid. But in this case the shape had to be completely opaque to cover timeline numbers previously drawn so had to make due with a hybrid approach.

Hi people I think the material panel can be a little bit more optimized.

As you can see in the picture, there is a lot of space unused but it is still difficult to read the full name of the textures is plugged in.

8 Likes

I have always found all this empty space annoying, from my point of view it is a great waste …
but apparently it’s a design choice, and I have to swallow the bullet as it is

1 Like

White space is not your enemy!
I’m glad that we have a more coherent and simple to undertand structure even though we gained some “wasted space”.
Here is what you get if you fill up everthing. Enjoy.

2 Likes

The issue is that the UI is generated from nodes. That’s why some of the items have no titles. Not sure if it can easily be fixed.

man, what is this shit?
we don’t see it at all that you like to win easy.

Yup, if that advertising page is “proof” that whitespace is good, then a similarly hyperbolic blank white page would be proof that whitespace is also evil. What do you do in such a conflicted state? I’d don’t know… maybe something in between those extremes. LOL

2 Likes

in the file browser

miss being able to name favorites