Blender UI paper cuts

Yes, somewhat - I did find out (or better - was reminded) about them later. The nodal operators don’t save the last setting, do they? Also at least “Only selected” does not seem to be reachable by nodal shortcuts and to me it feels weird that there are operators which are simply only reachably by keyboard only. But if that’s by design then that’s the way it is. I also found out that [Alt] followed by [K] invokes the tool instead of the nodal which I found out by total accident. If the tool would display it somehow like C4D does (“Alt ~ K”) then at least this would have been clearer. Maxon use “~” as a way to communicate a key succession as opposed to a Key combination.
It’s okay now that I know but it certainly wasn’t too intuitive to find out.

ON a totally different note (maybe I will be corrected here as well): Adaptive grid size seems to be not working in 3D view.
In orthographic view the grid adjusts when zooming in and out and also displays the current measurement of the grid. Cool!
In 3D view it doesn’t. If you want to work in perspective with a smaller grid (in centimeters for example) you have to adjust the size in the viewport overlay. Which in turn screws with the display in orthographic again (because it shows an adjusted value).

The grid should scale to

1 Like

Ok, so this one tripped me up for a bit:

GIF 27.02.2020 14-41-12

Can you guess what’s wrong here?

Spoiler

Edit mode as activated.

6 Likes

What’s the beef here?
Tried to uncheck “lock object modes” in the edit menu? (terrible place for this setting btw)

The beef is that I shouldn’t even be able to have that semi-selection-highlight move around when I click in the outliner when I’m in edit mode.

If, instead, say that highlight would have just flashed a little bit and disappeared, it could have highlighted to me that something else was up.

(I didn’t know about that option you showed, btw, so thanks for that.)

4 Likes

Same goes for moving objects, it seems. If you select a hierarchy, and then drag it over to another collection in the outliner, only a single object will be moved.

If you, however, use “move to collection” in the viewport, they all move over.

1 Like

About those selection highlights, I hate them. :slight_smile:

My man Red wax once requested an alpha option in the themes for that selection highlight so we could be able to turn that off if we wished so, but still no love.
The text in the outliner already changes color when selected, why on earth do I need those giant bar highlights. That’s just too much clutter to me.

2 Likes

There’s no right-click option to “change shortcut” for menus with submenus:

3 Likes

On the Outliner I can assign any shortcut to the Delete operation, but sadly the Delete key after being assigned it doesn’t work, but if I assign the Backspace key then it works… Bug, limitation, design?

1 Like

You could call it a key conflict or you could call it poor design. Instead of having one operator to delete anything in the Outliner there is a separate operator for deleting objects and for deleting collection (poor design) and if you bind both to the same key then you get a key conflict. As a workaround you can set one of them to activate on Press and the other to activate on Release.

See here:
https://developer.blender.org/T67462#882366

Did that proposal ever make it onto Right Click Select? It seems to me that the GSoC 2019 threads are no longer a good forum to bring up issues since it is over.

2 Likes

RCS is like throwing trash into volcano…

This seems like a pretty simple thing to implement (or maybe it’s too hard), but unfortunately no one is willing to take a look.

2 Likes

It’s a bit Sisyphean I guess. Which void would you like to shout into? A GSoC thread that is no longer read or a focused RCS proposal that is ignored? :disappointed:

2 Likes

Zooming in onto a color ramp and trying to choose the color is a bit painful at times (color wheel disappears when zoomed in the shader editor) -

3 Likes

sisyphus cheated death twice before his fate with that boulder, so it can’t be all that bad

Thanks for pointing out. Funny how there can’t be an "universal " delete key like in any other software, from excel to PowerPoint to photoshop for example.

1 Like

Is this a bug or I remember it wrong that it behaved correctly before?
If I set the Viewport Shading Background to World I expect the background to use the World background (just like in material preview and rendered modes)
Otherwise what’s the purpose? It just changes slightly from the theme grey to a lighter grey.

1 Like

Open the “viewport display panel” and change the color there…

1 Like

Thanks a lot.
It’s logical… perhaps… but not at first sight. It’s hidden.
We use nodes by default which is great - but if I turn that off, the viewport display syncs with the color above. Makes sense, sure.

But can it be a paper-cut request that it still syncs in node mode as long as it’s just a single color?

Any UI proposal in RCS is wasted time… it’s not important the numbers of likes that you have.

Don’t know if this is still considered UI:
Any kind of edge marking could really benefit from an additional “mark selection border”.
Otherwise it’s always select boundary loop first, then select edge sharp, seam etc.

Despite 2.8 cutting down on shortcuts, I still managed to trip a shortcut booby trap today. Can you guess why all objects move instead of just one here?

GIF

The first part is just visual chaos (whyyyyy, designers, whyyyy?), but the second part should give you a clue.

Spoiler

The proportional editing was on, because I accidentally hit O. Now, luckily there’s actually a highlight on the proportional editing icon that I should have spotted, but two important things:

1. The circle was so large that it was outside my entire viewport, and hence invisible!
  2. Imagine instead if there would have been a heat map colorization on the influenced objects.
3 Likes