Blender UI paper cuts

You can ctrl LMB in the outliner to isolate Collections. You can do this hovering over the EYE icon, if you keep hovering it will show other hotkeys as well.

Can you elaborate more on what you need or looking for?

Sorry man, but that icon representation is wrong, no matter how people are used to it. You can check out zbrush etc, to see how it is properly done.

Sorry, but unisolating shows everything, so goodbye setup from hunders of collections.
Also - the point of this tool is to manipulate collections visibility through objects selection.
That’s a big difference.
Current isolation realization works for active object only.

2 Likes

I dont have Zbrus, so i cant check it out.

Okay, and what does your unisolating do?

I just found your scripts and was checking what they actually do. The isolate seems handy indeed.
Dont think it would be much work to convert it. Though with collections it does work a bit different i believe.

Well, it’s tactical problem.

For example, if you make table editor like excel, you provide toolset that gives full workflow cycle - for example, setting rows height, columns width etc (not like in revit, where they made one then next year - another)

If somewhere is ability to split in a parts something, there should be ability to join it.

So, that issue concerns collections in 2.8)
It is common layer system with ability to set an infinite amount of collections, released without proper management toolset providen.
I described most of such problems in Layer Maniphest some time ago, based on my experience, so there is need in subset of common tools that provide comfortable work with thousands collections.

Some of tools there can be pretty much simple, but this entire subset yet have to be designed.
Otherwise it will be yet another set of addons that again provides abilities that have to be basic, I want to avoid it this time.

Basically, we need

• ability to temporary turm on all collections/objects with ability to return previous state of all of them as toggle in a single click (maybe with * key, as it is free) - without creating new view layer.
  • ability for ctrl+lmb on visibility icon (isolation) to be toggle, restoring previous state on second click.
  • ability to isolate collections of full selection, not of active object only.
  • ability to invert current visibility state of scene’s collections/objects globally back and forth to check up what is hidden.
  • and ability to swap values (switch) between visibility and renderability states back and forth to view/control as visible state what will be actually rendered.

First one is available in 2.79 by default, layers isolation is in 1D_Scripts, switching prototype is here
https://developer.blender.org/T61578#669517 with GIFs

2 Likes

I haven’t figured out completely how collections work. But isn’t it possible to check to which object a collection belong? If so than you can loop over all objects, if there are active than add the collections to a list. Than you can loop over the collections and hide all which aren’t in that prior list. This was just a quick thought I had, I don’t know if actually works.

I didn’t know it was a toggle button as well. Yet trust button one isn’t very clear, I’m looking at it with my phone. I can’t seem to understand what the concert actually does, i see it jumping between render or not, but not sure where it gets that info from.

When you switch the renderbility is also see the visibility switching??

Explanation: visibility and renderability lists swaps their values.
That makes possible to view renderability state of scene as visibility.

if there are active than add the collections to a list. Than you can loop over the collections and hide all which aren’t in that prior list.

Do you mean to make an addon?

Selected vertices in the edit mode of the Lattice object are barely visible in 2.80. Their size is linked to the vertex size of the mesh’s edit mode, through theme settings. I find the default setting 3 px for the size of vertices perfect in the edit mode of meshes… but in Lattice’s edit mode they’re barely visible when selected, and basically invisible when unselected. It looks like as if I was in the “edge” edit mode.

In Blender 2.79 the size of them looked fine.

10 Likes

Back to talking about the design of the Editor Type menu.

When I try to switch editor type, for example, to the Text Editor, the mouse trajectory goes through the Mode select menu, and the Editor Type menu closes.

It’s really annoying.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

9 Likes

Every menu works like that. Just make sure you don’t accidentally hover on other menus when making the move. lol

3 Likes

Yes, of course, each menu works in this way. But only “Editor Type” menu has four columns, which makes it very wide and causes this problem. The only problem is with this particular menu.

And, of course, everybody always moves the cursor along the shortest path, i.e. in a straight line.

It would be convenient to have a keyboard shortcut to quickly remove vertices / edges / faces, depending on the current mode.

In vertex selection mode, Shift + X calls bpy.ops.mesh.delete (type = ‘VERT’)

In edge selection mode, Shift + X calls bpy.ops.mesh.delete (type = ‘EDGE’)

In face selection mode, Shift + X calls bpy.ops.mesh.delete (type = ‘FACE’)

8 Likes

It would be convenient to be able to block cursor transformations.

7 Likes

Constant textual information is often not needed, and when working with a static scene, you can accidentally start playback and not notice it.

It would be convenient to display the number of the current frame (+FPS) only during the playback of the animation, separately from the text information of the scene (or as a separate option in the overlay menu).

3 Likes

Sun light doesn’t have an option for visualising near and far shadow clip planes (in EEVEE render), it makes setting up shadows in large scenes a bit difficult. Or I just did not find it?

1 Like

It would be convenient to assign keyboard shortcuts directly to the search menu.

12 Likes

i find some of the 2.80 changes really unnecessary like in the toolbar
just look at the all wasted space…

when we could have something like this and then collapses to just two columns of icons. if it’s “too much” scrolling then bring back tabs in the toolbar and put them there or something.

1 Like