Blender UI paper cuts

can’t this be OS dependent?

must call that menu: “prefs”
and slap it after “help” …
I understand their intention to put all things rarely use in a “closet”

… and “quit” put it back under file.

the question is that it must be explicitly told what that menu is … otherwise people don’t get it :slight_smile:
we will all look for preferences under edit or file,
and still today, I who now know that we are quit from that menu, I always click on file and deceive me.
:joy:

2 Likes

I think the modifier stack should have clear titles per modifier used. In case this change is not made, a separator for the modifiers would be good, since the title wouldn’t be serving as one.

When you paint the textures in Texture Paint and you want to add a texture to the brush, it is difficult to understand where the texture is modified, a shuttle would be ideal for newbies.

1 Like

10 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Hue Slider Resets if Saturation is 0

Is it normal that if I do Ctrl+N (for a new file) inside a floating windows like the preferences, the new “file close” dialog appear centered inside of that window, stays there and moves with it?

3 Likes

The color picker slider already works like this, so I guess it’s not impossible to add that functionality.

2019-05-17_23-31-58

It would be a game changer. :wink:

3 Likes

A game changer? You are weird one dude.

Hahaha, trust me, the difference is like night and day. Blender’s sliders are a pain in the ass and very laggy.

Hi gents. I made the same proposal on this site the same day you guys were talking about this.

I see that your proposals got a lot of likes. I’m trying very hard to get the devs to do it the way we’ve all proposed. They have locked down the active tools so that there is no way to make this happen using python. You have to edit the C code, otherwise I would have this working by now. I have an addon that puts the move, rotate and scale buttons in the top bar. They also allow for either switching directly from one to the other exclusively or pressing the shift key to add multiple gizmos. Give it a try!

I really think this is important and can’t seem to get the devs to agree with me. They see it as simple as making an easy way to switch drag behaviors on for the tools on the fly, but that is far too slow and hidden. We need simple transform gizmos that don’t lock you out of multi selection and allow you to use other tools with the transforms active (ie extrude with the scale tool active).

Help me push this on the devs. They don’t seem to see what a workflow bottleneck the transform active tools are. They are too close to the project to see them from the perspective of end users - especially those coming from other software or for god’s sake the last version of blender!

6 Likes

On Windows it’s quite annoying that the file browser does not recognise folder shortcuts (.link folders).
Blender essentially treates these as normal files and I even tried loading one as an image which makes zero sense?

6 Likes

I think that has to do with the openGL context in which it appears. Blender’s popups/dialogs are not windows in the ‘window manager’ sense of the term, they are internal to the Blender window which is basically a ‘fixed’ graphical rendering of an interface.
Wow, do I not know what I’m talking about heheh.

1 Like

you’re right, because with the sliders to be dragged every shift-new parameter is processed and the lag is noticeable on the heavy scenes.
while with a “click-set a parameter” the calculation of the parameter is processed only once

2 Likes

Are you referring to shortcuts to folders (folder icon with arrow overlay) or to symlinks to folders (made with mklink for example)?

I propose an alternative for gizmo. If you select three manipulators with the Shift key held down, the fourth one appears. alternative to checkboxes.
alt

10 Likes

Well I’m not that technical with windows but I’ll try and elaborate:
If I right click a folder in Windows I hey the option to “send to desktop as a shortcut”.
I guess it’s that folder with the arrow you mention.
But when I navigate to somewhere with such a shortcut-folder in blender it just shows as a “.link” file.
And I can choose that file as any other file. Img, video, txt whatever.
But what I expected was for the file browser to navigate to the folder amyhst the .link file points to…
Makes sense?

Btw. The .link files also only shows up if Alle filter options are turned off…

Ctrl+Left or Right arrow seems like an unused shortcut, can’t it be reverted to its old functionality, that was “change workspace”? It could cycle through the workflow tabs on top of the interface

Perfect. So it’s a shortcut to a folder. I’ll add that to my notes of possible things to do later on. If I remember right those can be a pain to deal with well in a file browser like this because the target could be a file, directory, search result, etc.

2 Likes

And it’s a binary format, too.

1 Like