Blender UI paper cuts

When using GPU preview rendering, my interface slows to a crawl. Editing nodes and render settings becomes a hassle. I’ll generally use CPU for preview and then switch over to GPU for the final thing, but I’m not sure why this should be necessary in the first place.

I don’t think it’s really a bug per se, but definitely a long standing annoyance that could be solved either by allocating more GPU memory for the UI or allowing preview and final renders to use different devices.

4 Likes

It’s not necessarily the GPU memory that’s the issue there, more than likely the rasterizer and shader units that are pegged. For best results use one dedicated GPU just for interface and GL viewport, and another dedicated card or more for compute. Assuming you are dealing with professional work and can afford a proper decked out workstation, of course.

3 Likes

In edit mode toolbar, knife and vertex slide have almost identical icons. I find myself selecting the wrong tool frequently. Maybe just show a knife icon?

thanks

When you are selecting, the tool tips at the bottom of the Blender interface doesn’t tell me which modifier key adds to the selection and which modifier key subtracts from the selection.

Regardless whether if I hold down shift, control or alt, it just says “Select”.

Capture

It would be nice if the materials context menu had an option to clean up unused material slots.

I can’t even see if the material is currently being used in the object or not.

12 Likes

Yes and also this Blender UI paper cuts

Double-clicking and dragging to select text in the Text Editor

One more little thing - it is quite usual to be able to double-click on a word to select the whole word and drag forward to then grow the selection to the next whole words. This works everywhere - web browsers, text processors, even the simplest text editors and elements of various operating systems even smartphone touch screens(tap and hold and then swipe) but not in Blender’s Text Editor. It would be nice little improvement.

Paper%20Cut

11 Likes

Have blender save the file browser size

1 Like

Column shift select in Outliner!
How it should be:

How it is now:

41 Likes

Managing outliner order manually.
Currently, the object order in the outliner is managed alphabetically. This sometimes in orders like,

• Arm
  • Body
  • Head
  • Leg

which makes no sense.

A drag-and-drop reordering would be handy

13 Likes

Agreed, this area is also one of the more confusing layouts in blender’s UI, I always wished for a bit of redesign work on it.

1 Like

Move the “Cancel” button in the load and save dialogues to the bottom of the U.I or away from the “Save” / “Open” button.

It’s way too easy to hit cancel right now and can result in you accidentally closing the dialogue and having to navigate back though folder structures to the directory you wanted to save to or load something from.

3 Likes

Fix Drag & Drop Parenting Functionality in the Outliner

Dragging and dropping objects onto one another in the outliner to create parent child relationships isn’t implemented fully. In the new View Layer (collections view) mode it doesn’t work at all and in the Scene View only the last selected object is parented when dragging and dropping a bunch of selected objects onto another i.e. an empty.

I know how to use Ctrl+P to parent multiple objects but I feel this functionality should be present in the outliner as it’s the intuitive behavior you’d expect. The lack of any hierarchy in the View Layer (collections view) mode of the outliner also seems odd. There is no visual feedback on parent child relationships whatsoever unless you switch to the Scene mode, other than the dashed lines that appear in the 3d viewport. As View Layer (collections view) is the new default mode for the outliner this again seems counter-intuitive, especially for new users.

12 Likes

it was in blender 2.79 addon “amaranth toolset”, but unfortunately it doesn’t work with 2.80. Maybe someone fix that?

2 Likes

or even worse… maybe you don’t want to save because you changed your mind and end up hitting save

I hope the devs are still reading this topic… here goes nothing.

Currently, the wireframe overlay of an active/selected object in Workbench takes on the color of the outline and looks like this:

As you can see, it’s rather difficult to see the yellow wires on the grey surface because the values of the colors almost match. This is unfortunate, as the wireframe overlay is mostly useful for checking the topology after modifiers and such, and this is most often done on the active object.

In the theme settings, can we have separate color settings for the thick yellow outline around an object and the wireframe overlay?

Photoshop mockup:

11 Likes

I’m not a fan of not-obviously-related settings, especially those placed in different parts of the UI, affecting each other without any kind of user feedback. So I’d definitely say no to AutoSmooth being enabled automatically.

I mean, there would be no issue as long as the user understands what is happening and why. But unless you’ve been using Blender while, this is unlikely.

An alert in the modifier stack or the status bar that AutoSmooth needs to be on for the modifier to work like we have now is much better. Maybe you could even just click the alert to fix the issue. But just having it done automatically could be very confusing.

I’m also ambivalent about having AutoSmooth on by default for new objects. The common use case of direct mesh modelling demands it to be on, while the other very common use case of SubSurf modelling demands it to be off. Now that you can just add AutoSmooth to your quick favorites, it’s much less of a hassle to turn it on manually than it was in 2.79.

I was never talking about this. There can be feedback in form of a warning: ‘WARNING: Auto Smooth has been turned on for this modifier to work.’

Precisely the discussion I was trying to avoid. That is completely another argument. Enabling Auto Smooth automatically after Weighted Normal modifier is added is another matter and should be considered separately from Auto Smooth on on everything by default. Dismissing one should not dismiss the other.

I do not understand your point of view here - when you add a modifier you always want it to work, don’t you? How do you use Weighted Normal modifier then? You can only add it and then you have to go to another tab, enable Auto Smooth and then come back to whatever you where doing with the modifiers. These are extra steps that you always have to do - there is no use case where you don’t do that for adding Weighted Normal modifier. What are your thoughts on this then? There should be no extra steps, the addition of the modifier is the action user takes to indicate they want it to work - that should be sufficient.

I also think you still need to code an operator for enabling Auto Smooth if you wish to assign a shortcut to it or add it to quick favorites. It’s not complicated at all, but still, not that easy. Or am I missing something here? Can you add setting object data’s property to quick favorites menu in 2.80? How?

Edit: Oh, yes, you can add this to quick favorites - that’s really cool! Thanks for pointing this out.

You lost me there. What ‘other’?

OK so we have two arguments here:

1. Should Auto Smooth be enabled by default

2. When adding Weighted Normal modifier it need s to be enabled. I think the action of adding the modifier should enable it automatically.

1 Like