Blender is moving in the wrong direction

This is my configuration for 2.8 a mix between 2.8 and 2.7. hope it can help you.

1 Like

Nice, I’ll try that. I am a bit spoiled from Blender Sensei content aware delete, but it may be time I move on.

Thanks, that’s good for reference.

@AdamPreisler @Lluc3D nice tips guys …

one thing that I’m finding very useful is the repeat history menu to be called via shortcut … I suggest to put it in a free sporadic key

I’m discovering that when model, sometimes due to the fact that it repeats already completed actions, it is more faster than to go to reselect shortcuts and tings and redo the whole operation …

Screenshot%20(34) Screenshot%20(33)

Support for Tab for edit and pie-menu, Z for wire toggle and draw modes has been added as a preference.

Enable “Pie Menu on Drag”, in the keymap preferences, check the tooltip for keys which have modified functionality.

developer.blender.org/rBb42333fba63b814e1762d277cd1cdb0c01ba0d27
developer.blender.org/rB665d987e7ba6a5037b7c14e84433a0854f2b5f77

Exact behavior can be further extended if users find it useful.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: How to call menus when fullscreen?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Long press events?

The most helpful hot key I have ever made was double middle click for Show Active, it is something needed extremely often and the Keypad isn’t a decent place for it since not everyone has one and the right side of the keyboard last place beginners look and learn.

Which brings me to my issue, when right clicking and pressing the Change Shortcut… you cant record double clicks.

I say this often but doubles are under used and could help with a lot of the confusion. Middle mouse is designed for navigation, and it is where people are expecting to find navigation options.

Double middle = View Active
Shift Double middle = Local View
Ctrl Double Middle = Camera View
Alt Double Middle = Perspective

This is consistent with Blenders theme and even helps complete it, but most importantly it gives people with out keypads options. I really think it should considered in 2.8 as a default, or at least an emulate keypad option.

Double click events (and long press events) fall under things that don’t work all the time, they’re a bad keypress type to be primary, especially if you’re then not going to learn the proper shortcut for something in lieu of them. They belong being assigned by the user.

They delay other types of keypress events
They don’t work when you get into dense meshes or scenes, if anything intensive slows the ui they fail.

Thanks for letting me know, that’s very interesting and disappointing. It is a theme I have been using and sharing with my friends/beginners for a long time. Its so intuitive I never have to tell them, they always stumble upon in minutes. We manly do assets/character modelling, which is not as intense as a cinematic scenes.

Blender “original theme” was no double clicks, avoid drag as much as possible (specially when precision needed), spread actions over all 3 buttons (wheel came later), combine keyboard and mouse all the time. IMO serious anti-RSI approach. IIRC Ton even said he swapped the mouse from one hand to the other periodically.

But if you like that as personal config, great. Not a huge fan of wheel, but it seems to be mostly free in 3d view, I would try that instead (with 3 single mods give 6 actions, more with combos).

That is awesome to hear how Blender has grown, and I’m sure with good reason. Blender being unique with its middle mouse navigation comes with some strong advantages over many programs (like being able to at least rotate before learning modifier keys). Though we are all happy and content with the current set up, it doesn’t mean there isn’t still room to grow. For example, Blender uses Ctrl for snapping in every aspect of Blender except navigation where it uses Alt (not everyone knows it exist, probably because it is inconsistent). So yes I realize that currently using double clicks aren’t reliable enough in certain scenarios to be used as default, but for as skilled as the Devs are, I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually find a way… Maybe years to come but for the possible potential, I think it is worth keeping an open mind too.

Also to clarify, I wasn’t suggesting that those keys replace the numpad completely, but in the same way you can use Alt to emulate half of the keypad, I am suggesting we also continue to emulate the rest of it.

I used a Dvorak analogy in the other thread, so here, I’ll just say “dinosaurs had their chance and nature selected them for extinction”… :wink:

1 Like

Not so unique, other softwares use middle in some ways. Sometimes to handle all view things too, see Microstation tutorial.

Sometimes they are inconsistent and wrong, other times it’s just because things collide and something had to be used.

Devs getting into gene editing so humans don’t get RSI? wink If you mean about being able to configure mode, the popup should match the Preferences interface as much as possible. That way it’s not just more consistent, but user can adjust everything in one go (double click, release, drag, etc, and modifiers) and even see what will be called and where it will be in Preferences.

Are yo uthe same guy, posted the same thing on Facebook few months ago?

Irony, how did I end up making suggestions about adding things to Blender in this thread.

Yes Cad and others like Marvelous have middle integrate but Blender uses it as its main. I find the middle mouse more intuitive than Maya, Substance, or Unity styled layouts, of course not as intuitive as Zbrush, 3Dconnexion, or touch for apps but that is because Blender specializes in generalizing. . After learning all those different programs and their perspectives, it’s hard not to see where Blender is very strong but still has some untapped potential.

Not so much of configuring a mode, similar to the way they recently changed how blender opens certain files incrementally so it doesn’t overload on the bigger ones. There may be a way to set priorities or save a bit of resources that are sectored off and designated to input. So that way even if it is too laggy to respond, it still would now the difference between a double and single. I know it is something Photoshop has be playing with over the past couple years (not that there’s turned out that great). I’m not expecting anything, but at the same time I would not be surprised.

Max if you are talking about me, possibly, I don’t hide my name and have a pretty consistent opinion on this subject, sorry if it gets redundant.

Agree, so many useful tools were changed and make me angry.
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Of course EEVEE is amazing, but a lot of significant items removed and useless toys added =(

I DON’T NEED ICONS, I could feel my 2.79 blender with my fingertips.

It just a small example.
I am still can not maximize windows using shift+space for example, as easy as I can did it in 2.79
But in my shortcut list I can see it set to Ctrl+Spacebar and it does not work.
Many-many-many annoying things =(

2 Likes

Tried factory settings?

talking about ouro :slight_smile:

Lol, I think I have seen him on the Procreate App forums too