Blender 2.8 - Shortcuts feedback

Shortcuts for each buttons in the menu.
In 3d mesh edit mode, for example, the header has several buttons (add/select/mesh/vertex/edge/face) while only the add/vertex/edge/face have their own shortcuts.
Having shortcuts for the rest would be very helpful.

@billrey
Suggestions for the Spacebar Shortcuts:
Space%20Bar%20Shortcut%20Keymap

Spacebar = Play/Pause

Shift + Spacebar = Search

The above mentioned may be the defaults and can be swapped in the “Settings > Input > Preferences menu” if the user wants to change that.

For the Tools list

"Hold Spacebar" with a mouse cursor or pen to Hover and leave Spacebar to Select a tool (which already works fine in the latest build) = Tools list

or

Alt + Spacebar = Tools List

If all these work fine, We may not need the “Spacebar” option in the splash screen quick setup.

I want to add the option to use context menu or not. Could be better to have that option.

double spacebar pressure would be enough to activate the search menu

The problem with that is the hotkeys. The toolbar was conceived to use hotkeys to access to the tools, instead of a unified solution. And the list solution of the toolbar is other problem.

A better could be a cloud of icons in the toolbar, if you press any key it make a search.

What do you think about this?
G -> F: drag the object in XY plane BUT also with the mouse wheel goes up or down on the z axis. I find it very interesting because with a shortcut you can position an object using the 3 axes at the same time.

Other shortcut Grab, Rotate and Scale Toggles (as A):
Example: g start g end>
Advantage: no click for confirmation

You can constrain to the XY plane by using G -> Shift+Z.
If you wanted to add mouse wheel for the third axis it makes sense to just add it to the shift+axis feature that already exists.

You’re right, what you say is consistent with the rest of the shortcuts. But I also like a more comfortable way to activate this option because I think it can be very used.

I would like to have the move up/down and left/right especially for grease pencil workflows.

1 Like

This is feedback from me and my colleague on what shortcuts we realy miss.

1.Set object origin shortcut.
It doesn’t need to be (ctrl + shift + alt + c) just make a shortcut.
2. Camera WALK (shift + f)
3. viewport camera rotation and axis movement
(ctrl + shift + wheel)

1. u can add your own shortcuts
  2. shift+~

Thank you for Camera Walk
Set object origin should be default

Alt+mouse-wheel scrolling for frames offesting is not brought back,i ported mine from 2.79…it’s really an awesome one…it should be a default shortcut.

What I find confusing is that while 2.8 moved in the correct direction for the selection modes, from Ctrl+Tab + Click to just a single button press for each mode, it has done the opposite for toggling wireframe and for pivot points.

The radial menus are much more tedious and time-consuming to use, especially considering that 90% of the time you only want the same two options. You want solid or wireframe on Z, and you want 3D cursor or bounding box/median on period.

Obviously people can set up these configurations for themselves. but I worry a lot about the impression Blender 2.8 will give totally new users, because it’s less easy to use efficiently when you’re actually trying to work than 2.79.

Actually pie menus can be much faster, because you can use muscle memory in a gesture to activate something. It also means that we can provide quicker access to more commands, because one key (say, comma) now gives quick gestural access to many commands.

Just using comma and period gives shortcut access to all the pivot point and transform orientations right there. You only need to learn and remember two shortcuts to do all these things, vs dozens of of separate shortcuts that most users are not likely to remember, and for which there isn’t space on the keyboard for regardless.

1 Like

It may be theoretically faster if people actually used all of those options with equal frequency, but, 90% of the time I’m only toggling between two things in these pie menus, and hitting one key is faster than hitting one key, flicking the mouse, and clicking. And if I’m keyboard modeling, I also have to reach for the mouse first.

And if I need the pie menus, I just do Shift + Z, which I do maybe once every hour as opposed to every other minute.

You actually don’t need to even click. That’s why it’s so fast.

Hold key, flick, release.

We should include some sort of tutorial to teach users this.

CTRL + left arrow - rotate edge CCW
CTRL + right arrow - rotate edge CW

Ah yes, that does rather improve it, and isn’t immediately self evident.

1 Like