Left click Default?

@LudvikKoutny If I would go with your kind of thinking, I can make the following argument:

4.300 views and only 538 likes it means 80% of the viewers didn’t liked the video!

But this argument is also false because verry few people also dont like videos when they like it!

1 Like

Wow, that’s… that’s a really poor attempt at using logic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not all people like or unlike videos. If people unlike the normally use the unlike.

1 Like

oops I wrote 534 but it was 584

I really like the video, but I don’t hit the like or dislike button :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I wish this was true but there is missing some modal keymaps like for loopcut, inset and bevel.

1 Like

This.
On all softwares, people have been using different keymaps, UIs, even languages, … Yet we seem to be surviving it. At the end of the day, you always find at least one tutorial for your taste when you need to start. And usually, when you made a change in your keymap, you don’t forget it when you watch a tutorial. And mostly, after a few days or weeks, you don’t even pay attention to such things anymore, you’ve passed over the point of basic controls learning.

I’m shocked to see how suddenly RCS users are freaking out and pointing issues that LCS advocates have been fighting for 23 years. Especially now as those issues are solved (or on their way to be).

I’ll quote myself here, but just to remind some people here:

Up to 2.7 there was no way to a new user to either understand at a glance what’s going on nor how to do the very simple thing of selecting (it’s just the n°1 basic thing you learned to do with LC from your first second on a computer until Blender).
(…)
A simple thing as selecting shouldn’t require anything, it’s not rocket science. Either the basic feature behaves as in other softwares do, either the software provides the information clearly from the first second, as well as a way to switch to a more conventional behavior. AND the conventional behavior should actually work and not penalize the user for choosing it.

This has been the kind fights of LCS advocates for 23 years. Not mentioning the strong opposition from RCS advocates which had the edge until now and was often hostile towards LCS advocates or even to the simple idea to let the user know about RCS from startup and there is optionally LCS. But fortunately, such unilateral debates will become old stories very soon.

But now, look at what 2.8 is doing:

• Clear information of both sets from the first start
  • Let it to the user choice, both at startup or at any time he wants, instead of forcing it
  • Actual functioning and painless LCS behavior
  • Abstraction of mouse buttons (SELECTMOUSE and ACTIONMOUSE) are independent of user preferences

Changes are being made to make Blender more open, not only on the source code license but also on the usability, user-friendliness. Of course, changes are changes, people already there will need to change some of their habits. But understand that in the long run, it will be beneficial for everyone.

More people → more tutorials → more documentations →more addons → more funds → more dev power → more awesomeness → more industry usage → more people…

Don’t bother about tutorials, this is not an issue. I bet you watched a lot of LCS blender tutos without even noticing it.

And honestly, now that it’s done and that everyone can finally be aware and choose for themselves, let’s get back to the real stakes of 2.8: EEVEE, cycles improvements, UDIMs, opensubdiv, etc… It’s way more interesting, isn’t it ?

6 Likes

Can’t believe some guys are moaning about Blender using universal and standard inputs more and more while leaving the old weird behavior still available.

2 Likes

I hope, I really hope you are right.

PS there is an issue when i do a clean install on OSX. I did not get the quicksettings menu in the splash screen. It only showed when i had set my settings and saved this and then moved/deleted “userpref.blend”.

Also i see a lot of fuzz about left being the default, for me right was the default when i start blender 2.8

Using this hash

PS is it really 50/50 with LMB vs RMB??? My guess it was perhaps 10/90 orso. I know perhaps one guy which uses LMB but he also hacked ALL key codes and made tons of adjustments, HEAVYPOLY has a complete different approach using blender. They are pretty cool to watch, but switch is super hard i guess. I also remember some one guy which made a custom setup with all kinds of new menus. He said after switching it took a couple days but he was way faster modelling afterwards. But that was perhaps 1 or 2 years ago.

I already have hard time couping with this new layout. Im glad i can still keep the RMB, as i pointed out for me this was default on OSX. Im also curious whats gonna happen to tuts now. Perhaps de icons on the bottom should show the action al long with the button. Because this will depend on the preset now.

I feel betrayed with this.
I have learned blender the way it is
Left handed ,using the right hand, clicking with the right mouse button,reading and watching english tutorials.
Then they change it to be friendly to new users coming from autodesk softwares.
Obviusly the right click will be left.
At least blender will have more support.

1 Like

Another good reason to implement a “back to quick setting” button in the regular splash screen.

See here.

2 Likes

The setup splash screen only happens if you never used 2.8.

The way this works technically, is that Blender looks for the 2.8 library folder, which is generated when you use it the first time.

If there is already a folder, Blender deduces that you are already using it, and so you won’t see this setup screen. If there is no folder, it knows that you never installed 2.8 before, and so you see that screen.

On the Mac, this folder is in Library/Application Support/Blender. If you delete your 2.8 folder and relaunch Blender, you see it.

So, it’s prerry simple. It could be even smarter somehow, but probably not worth it. These options are identical to what you can find in Preferences anyway - it’s mainly useful for when you install Blender on a new machine, and you can then set up the very basics in a quick way.

Few important questions i have to blender developers.

First. As plugin creator does it means that now i have to make interface and workflow in my plugin both for left and right selection or is this handled automaticly by api?
next question kinda links with first one. by makeing left as defult does that mean that all later blender development will be done with left clicking in mind. that means that right click select will be pain to use in future like it was till 2.8 with left click. because i personally don’t belive that u will develop program for left click and right click there will be allways bias. and main setup…

and the biggest problem with 2.8.
you wanted to make it easy for new people. by changing exactly everything? there is to change… so old tutorials are no longer valid. means with lunch of 2.8 there will be like 0 tutorials for it. I don’t know how is this user friendly exp for new comers. And as a tutorial makeing person… what should i choose left right? i mean this is really wird. and chaos.

i think blender should stay right. so at least one thing is as it was… and just give option on lunch for left and that is all.

it is not really about pros because we can handle the changes… but new people and general future development it will be clusterfuck in longterm… and i simply don’t belive in option to have left or right select workflows. because it is just to big problem to dill with. We have to just choose one.

1 Like

I think that the initial splash screen with LMB/RMB setup should be at the very least reset for final beta release. There may be a lot of people, who gave 2.8 a try in early alpha with some high expectations, and were left disappointed by input mapping not being improved yet. They may want to give Blender another try once Beta release makes waves, but since they already ran 2.8 once, the folders are created so such people won’t see that new choice.

2 Likes

Oh come on, will you guys stop this nonsense?
I’m maybe biased since I feel comfortable with either modes, but claims like this are really ridiculous.
I’m one of those that advocate “don’t follow mainstream just because it is mainstream”, but really, come on! Left click is coming from everywhere! any software out there, beginning with operating systems.

Right click select will continue to be supported.

This is why this change was done now rather than later. 2.8 is so different anyway that many tutorials are outdated in any case. It’s best to do these big overhauls in chunks as much as possible. Besides, we cannot let old tutorials hold development back, or we could never improve or change anything.

Blender has had an option for left or right selection for over a decade.

4 Likes

You are biased, sure me too,
let me say something.

When I used blender for the first time I quickly learned the left ckick way to do stuff and being honest, its much more efficient and comfortable.

The argument that left is the default in all systems is like saying that left is better when actually it right is just more efficient, left is just more popular.

My main concern is that new users that learn the left keymap will not be as good as they could be if they use the Right click.

1 Like

i know i use blender since 2.4x my point is just because there was option it was not working at all… i mean what in last days devs are doing… makeing left select acctualy workable so when u switch for left select the blender works. normally back in time well just in 2.79 if u switch to left select the workflow is just terrible as hell. now they are fixing that and changed most of the stuff, so left is now def. Yes u can switch now back to right for example… but the addons the other new features that will born… will be designed with left select in mind. so if u switch to right select or stay with right select. u will have terrible UX.

do u get my point like. This is huge change left or right selection. because it is not just oposite switch that left click does right click and right click does left click. because that would be hella simple.

what they have done is… replace left click function with right click function and for the right click function they put menu. And if u stick with right selection. u don’t get menu on left click.

u see the point? It is not just what button does selection nope. it is whole diffrent workflows. And sadly but i don’t think blender have time to develop 2 workflows at the same time. i mean jiz. they don’t even have time to do proper documentation of blender it self…

So you are saying that you would like Blender to work badly?