Asset Bundle - Base Meshes

Sure that sounds great. Especially for the realistic skull the differences will be very noticeable and useful :+1:

3 Likes

v11- lots of parts are more evenly distributed, including inner parts, bottom part, forehead and eyes.
Eyes seams are simplified (merged), bottom seam added (to split occipital and sphenoidal bones).

I think upper dents also require some attention

1 Like

If you want you can put the palatine suture. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I will put it in place. But I also thought about Vomer…

Maybe something like that will work okay

V12, jaw circular loops, better upper dents, Vomer connection.

I think it is quite ok and ready.
How do you think?

2 Likes

Just one thing, the suture between the temporal and the occipital bone should be like this:

Sorry I have no computer here.

Technically, true, but I has got some problems with interpretation - should not it go right through the holes, for example? This place looks quite complex in different examples, it is a place where sutures turns into actual holes and vice versa.

Connection of a Temporal and Occipital bones remind me minimal surfaces a bit, it looks like Lidinoids)

I found a cleaner example (with basic topology if to turn on wireframe):

Okay, I guess we can do something like that ( seams with changed shape across deep notches) and assume that this can be enough for artistic purposes. Otherwise, a more detailed sculpting is required.
V13

I added the female basemesh to the repo -

I plan on doing another pass and add another subdiv level or two to get some highres detail in there, but will have to see if it’s worth the bigger file size. If so I’d probably do another pass on the inner mouth and include that in the same file.

Currently it’s using a fairly generic set of UVs. I’ll add a couple additional UV sets down the road as well, as they can be useful and don’t inflate the file size too much either.

8 Likes

V14, a bit more regular bottom topology

1 Like

Fantastic! I added it to the bundle.

I’ve been wondering, what about having variations of the realistic characters for a human scale reference. With simplified features and less vertex, without unnecessary data like face sets, seam, and UV map, with pre-configured settings for reference purpose (disable in render for example).

I see some people coming from other DCCs asked why something like that is not bundled and many used the cube (after scaled to a human scale) as a reference for some time.

3 Likes

Because it works)
I guess such a question is going from sketchup users, which has scale figure in the default scene?

Some time ago we in our studio made a planar human figures for schecking scale visually, for example, when were designing and building a theme park for kids, but they was too simple to make including them to bundle worthfull.

Sometimes we make a very optimized variable-density retopology (effectivepoly version) of a characters for massive archviz which can be used for such purposes, but this is not a product we would like to bundle.

Speaking of a generic 3d lowpoly human basemeshes, they are too easy to get nowdays.
After all, the entire Blendswap site is still available)

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but somehow, I don’t think blender should come with a large number of model assets. Perhaps a few light primitives and that’s it. Better not bloat it.

In the long run, Instead, I think, the asset browser should have online functionality. It would link to an official blender foundation hosted cloud, from which the user could download many base models, materials, node groups, and even addons and so on.

Perhaps, a cloud in which the community could share anything for free use, without leaving blender. Or commercial clouds, hosted by other companies, for which the user would pay, and download assets…
Ideally, the official cloud would also host models and materials of actual real products, uploaded by companies (such as furniture companies, building material companies, hardware, etc…) who want users to implement their products into their design projects

1 Like

I understand threads like this have many posts so its hard to read it all,

But everything you mentioned, i already questioned at posts #39 and post #42 (In a more “Polite” way)

(Is there a way to create a hyperlink to a post?)

For the bloated part, Julien wrongfully claimed in response to me that its a “Slippery slope fallacy” , it is the way he sees it AT THE MOMENT but it will become bloated, because there is no system stopping it from being bloated,

“Gentlemen agreement” or a “Committee” will have a fall-off to disagreements.
a budget or a system is too black and white and it will become more and more relaxed to allow more assets, causing bloat, The answer is , there is no answer, it will become bloated, its a matter of time.

so the solution to the bloating problem is… the lack of solution, just accept it will become bloated.

as far as online connectivity, it will not be a part of blender’s core so i have been promised but , it MAY have online connection via a python script as an addon.

Currently i am thinking about a way to phrase it , but i plan to start a thread on devtalk , requesting that any addon that uses python’s subprocess module or any module that can establish remote connection or fork / pipe a process, should have a disclaimer at the addon page : “This add-on may connect to a server online, This add-on may fork a process”.

a way to create a hyperlink to a post?)

Copying the Date of a post gives such hyperlink.
I also has doubts about python based online/clouds. We tried such kind of a system and decided to avoid using it.

1 Like

that was the right decision (to avoid it), well done.

Fundamental design decisions on the Essentials library are being made and feedback is actively being taken into account.
The feature of the “Essentials” asset library is still very new but even then it’s a crucial that “Essentials” assets are lightweight, not causing bloat and being purely for vital aspects of Blender to be usable.
That’s why the decision was made to make base meshes it’s own separate asset bundle. The same will then also apply to extensive materials, textures, achviz assets, and more.

As long as this is being documented, it’s unlikely that these decisions will change, especially because there are no disagreements on this :wink:

2 Likes

I’m sorry I didn’t answer you early, I broke my hand and I’m still adjusting. I’ll try to make it clear in the sculpt. Please be patient with me :crazy_face:

1 Like