Asset Bundle - Base Meshes

Oh… Sorry I miss this, I retouch the sculp earlier to fix the sagital suture and make others more prominent. I’ll upload it in case you want to take a look

I think it is not necessary, since we currently simplify all the sutures for the sake of a more regular topology compatible with multires, and especially sagital suture which is also better to be kept straight for the sake of a mirroring/symmetry.

Great, only one thing, it is posible to have the topology folow this crest? it is a very importan crest for the shape of the skull.

Also there is no need for a sutural bone in the suture of the glabela and nasal bones, it was an artifact of the mirroring I did.
Captura desde 2023-02-28 22-06-53

1 Like

@JulienKaspar I’ll do the teeth and the multirres for it, or you don’t need it?

I tried my best following crest, but the right part is challenging and also flat, so I succeed only at 80%

1 Like

just in case, the skull fix:

I tried to make it more pronounce in this last one, but anyhow, don’t worry it is pretty nice probable better than anything I could do.

I did some teeth retopology , do you think it is enough topology?

2 Likes

For sure, it is technically possible to close demand loop like that, but it will bring some junctions that may cause problems with multires, which loves topological regularity.

@Tonatiuh The teeth look great! Ideal for multires sculpting :+1:
They might loose some shape when just using a Subdivision Surface modifier but the “Apply Base” operator could prevent most of that.

Ok, you choose what is best, thanks for trying.

Ok, so if @1D_Inc thinks he is finished with the retopo, I’ll finish the teeth, and bake the details in the multitres, up to 4 subdiv? Also aplay base so if they use a subdivision modifier the shape is maintain?

UPD, v10, many places are reworked, nose fixed, a full crest added to test if it is worth-full.

Cleaned up nose, extracted eyes demand loops, less articulated notch above the eye

4 Likes

Looks great!

Btw if anyone in interested in having a look at the cartoony base meshes, I was imagining it to follow a much simpler style like for example the Sprite Fright characters (just more generic)

• Smooth tube limbs
  • Rounded cartoony head
  • Big flat eyes (Kept inside the head through a lattice)
  • Simpsons-like hands

What do you think?

(This example image has clothing because there is no body mesh. The base meshes should not have any clothing.)

Here’s a .blend file if you want a closer look at this one.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NRMyly3PmfYoz-8JZ6z60cEzKL0aOpal?usp=share_link

Also all of the character files for that movie are available for free here:

2 Likes

Something like a “rubber-hose era” character? Are you looking into someone adapting the model of Ellie so it’s more generic? Or what it is what’s missing?

Definitely going more rubber hose :+1:
I just wanted to drop that info here to see what people think. I’d make that info more clear in the main description as well.

Once I’d get time to focus on base meshes I’d just create these myself, but just in case someones interested in taking over those I wanted to be clear.

I could have a look at it and might give it a go, if it’s not a problem. I think I have a bit of experience with that kind of characters, as you can see here: Mickey Mouse, Cartoon Hand. I assume that you are aiming to have a higher polycount than my examples, something a bit more midpoly, no?

That would be great! Yes, the topology should be more evenly distributed mid-poly, so that multires sculpting is an easy option. (Similar topology as the other base meshes).

A T-pose is also preffered for the cartoony base meshes, unlike the A-pose for the stylized and realistic ones.

1 Like

@JulienKaspar It seams that in the list of assets there are no female skulls, planar or realistic, but they have enough differences to have separate assets, I can try out, I’m going slowly because I have a lot in my plate, but I think it is worth it

4 Likes