Asset browser so SLOWwww

Hey! I wrote above how to deal with the speed problem (it is enough to have each asset in its own file and the download is fast). But now I am concerned about another question - why complicate the process of accessing data so much! At the moment, in order to access the directory with resources, I need to go to the settings, create a link to this folder there, and only then have it in AM! It’s a very long journey! Think about it! I propose just such a scheme which is implemented here in this addon! Aqueduct - Asset Manager - Blender Market

1 Like

Yes, we have thought about lots of things. At some point it’s time to actually make software, rather than keep thinking about ways in which to keep changing the design.

Also, changes like the SDNA reading improvements @julianeisel mentioned will potentially affect all blend file loading, and not just the asset browser. It might make the loading of complex scenes faster as well. To me that’s definitely worth the effort.

Having to work with parts of the code that have their roots 20+ years ago isn’t the easiest. It certainly is lot harder than only writing a single add-on that has to optimise a single purpose.

The foundation that we’re laying now should be good enough to last another decade. It’s worth it to make sure the technical details are designed well (and we’re not at that point yet). If we do our job well, it’ll be fairly trivial to add shortcuts and optimise user experience.

15 Likes

Cleaned the thread from more offtopic/personal chatter, keep it on the rails people, be nice…

Can you clean up sybren Doctor messages? He speaks like a politician just pouring water! He didn’t say anything about the case! This will be a test for you!

Allright that is enough, I gave this thread plenty chances to have some constructive conversation, sadly a different path was chosen for it.

10 Likes