Asset browser so SLOWwww

ATTENTION! At the moment, I have found the following solution to the problem with the speed of loading assets. Each asset (3d object) must be in its own file. Then the loading of the set is very fast! I have not checked the materials yet! I’ll check it out later.

If you have such a file, where you can check everything in comparison to human height, what is the point of using an asset manager?

Imagine that you have thousands of models for tens of gigabytes! The point of AM is to quickly integrate assets (3D models, materials, etc.) into projects. Yes, this can be done through import and other methods, but this is all long and not convenient!

We are using copypaste, keeping libraries clean.
I mean, our libraries are filtered out before being formed. Is the point of AM to manage lots of downloaded trash?

such a scheme would be the most convenient!

Aw, we are talking about kitbash and materials library in the way SP provide it… Okay

What you are showing is a file browser

What I’m showing is the easiest and fastest way to find and add assets from the library to the project! Yes, in fact it is a file manager with a preview. This is the most effective thing! Now they offer to create a link to the directory in the settings so that it would then be displayed in AM))) LOL just think about it! Why so many difficulties))))

And in general, what do you all have here for the habit of ALWAYS justifying the developers in EVERYTHING, even if they are clearly wrong! They are not gods, but young boys only! The community must define! This was the original idea!

Agree, but without rage.

Could you for like 5 minutes not try to stir up a fight?

You’re clearly want your pet annoyance to be fixed, unsure how calling the developers young boys that can’t do anything right unless the community tells them to is going to help you there. There’s ways to work with the developers in constructive ways, this isn’t one of them.

I’m reaching the end of my patience here, last warning for this thread keep it respectful or we’re done here.

6 Likes

LOL dude! Well, block me if it becomes easier for you! I understand perfectly well that it is useless to say anything here! Just like in the right click, this is done so that people can speak into the void! Developers can’t hear! I’m just worried about the blender and you are for civilians, different goals. If you were professionally engaged in 3D, then you would understand what I mean. I will not return here again. And you have problems if you see aggression everywhere! I’m tough but not aggressive! PEACE! BYE!

I would like to live in the world where all my wishes were performed instantly.
Eh…

1 Like

If user has access to the whole system directory then it’s no longer an asset manager but a file browser

Folder navigation like above is indeed the best way to navigate in a library imho

Anyhow,
the whole thread will prolly be deleted thanks to your childish behavior

Have some trust in that the team who have worked on Blender for the past years, and produced all those great improvements we’ve seen, know what they’re doing.

Yes, performance is an issue. Yes, this will be worked on. And the nice thing is: because it’s not done in some add-on, but at the core of Blender itself, it could very well be that other areas of Blender will also benefit from this. It’ll take longer to do, but it’ll have a bigger impact.

15 Likes

Various… Various improvements.
Not all of them are actually great.

We used oiio and c++ backend to speedup thumbnail generation for our Camera Projection Painter addon that need generate thumbnails quickly and non blocking for hundreds of images/cameras from photogrammetry scans.

Generating them or loading them into blender?
What i was talking about above is the loading process

In my python asset manager, This part is taking the longest

New

some users will have a ton of thumbnails and blender loading them one by one is freezing everything

It’s fairly common these days to have massive thumnbail library that freeze everything while it’s loading

Yep. Same but in our case this can be hundreds of 24~61Mpx images that we need generate lot of previews. In our case oiio show better speed.

I didn’t want to continue the conversation here, but the thread did get plenty of attention and it is in fact an important topic to discuss. So I still want to give some information for the more reasonable voices here.

The Asset Browser loads data in two passes, one is reading the list of assets with their metadata from .blend files, the other one is loading the previews (which uses the thumbnail caching of the OS). So it is doing more than just loading some preview icons, and it works quite differently internally from UILayout.template_icon(). Both passes can be sped up greatly, but they require separate solutions.
Here are some things we can do to improve performance:

• Use an asset library cache as mentioned earlier: T82979: Indexing for Performance
  • Properly multi-thread loading of assets & their previews (load multiple .blend files and previews in parallel).
  • Avoid re-reading SDNA (description of the file layout written to the file) for every .blend file in the library. Cache it for the versions read already.
  • Avoid having to load all ID data into memory to find the asset data to read.
  • Check if compressing preview images improves speed.

All these are hypothetical improvements of course that need to be evaluated with some proper profiling.

But again, the issue is not that we don’t know how to improve this, it’s a question of priorities. Right now all focus is on getting the very basics ready for a release with 3.0. Maybe we can squeeze performance improvements in, but even the basics are highly complex and require a lot of attention.

16 Likes