2024-1-16 User Interface Meeting

User Interface Module Meeting

Regular User Interface module meeting for planning and coordination. Last meeting was December, next meeting on January 30.

Attendees

• Hans Goody
  • Harley Acheson
  • Jonas Holzman
  • Julien Kaspar
  • Lukas Tönne
  • Pablo Vazquez
  • Sebastian Parborg
  • Thomas Dinges

Merged Since Last Meeting

Review

Discussion

Demos and Experiments

14 Likes

Hi @Harleya
Can you please consider, to make experiment and give a try for exponential value sliders, or something to improve accuracy and comfort of work with small values?

1 Like

@nickonimus

I’d need much more detailed information about the problem than “improve accuracy and comfort.” Feel free to DM me with specifics of what is not working well and what you are proposing should be experimented with.

3 Likes

I assume he’s talking for things like editing values such as “0.005” (default curve radius for hair curve in geometry nodes). Right now we either slide directly, which will make it 0.105, 0.205. or we can hold ctrl and slide to make it change in a 0.015, 0.025 manners. It’s kind of very inconvenient and not precise.

Here’s a sample solution in H…software, although I don’t think it’s too optimal: if you hit middle mouse button on a value, there will be a vertical panel listing different scales of value, such as 100, 10, 1, 0.1, 0.01, etc. and you can select a scale and slide, so that you are sure you are changing value in that scale.

I will join too.
Pablo suggested that we can briefly talk about #113122 and #113115 and if/how we want to push for them in 4.1.

The ladder system in Copperfield is great, but their vector properties are displayed side-by-side instead of vertically as in Blender… this fact makes ladders more difficult to integrate in Blender, because there’s a conflict with multi-value editing.

That being said I don’t think this functionality necessarily calls for such a system, the current modifier key approach works -and it could be extended with additional key combinations, for instance shift+ctrl to decrease sensitivity to the 1/1000th, as well as provide visual hints near the value field to communicate to the user which “ladder” or “scale” is currently active.

2 Likes

I see this got discussed:

The meeting notes say:

Will keep in the review pile. Harley will try some tweaks.

What does this mean?

@josephhansen - What does this mean?

It is something we are (again) actively considering, so we have a real possibility of getting this if we can make some changes and get some consensus.

The tweaks I will try include having a different way of indicating selection of those nav icons. For example, when you now click the “Camera” icon it could show a blue highlight background while the view matches the camera view. And so we could do similar for Lock view to camera.

Another issue is that the icons used for lock/unlock using the PR look disproportionately small. But I just received a message from someone with new versions.

9 Likes