2024-06-27 Pipeline, Assets & I/O Meeting

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CEST.

Present: Bastien Montagne, Charles Wardlaw, Jesse Yurkovich, Matt McLin, Michael Johnson, Micheal Kowalski, Sergey Sharybin

The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).



Upcoming Blender 4.2 LTS release

There are some more bugfixes being processed for 4.2 release. The deadline for these is 10th of July.

Targets for Blender 4.3

Charles report issues with usdz & udim. It seems to be a general issue currently in USD, and can probably be ignored for now.

Micheal will check targets for 4.3, and create design/TODO tasks for the non-trivial ones.

Regarding the enforced creation of a ‘User Properties’ namespace, it seems to be fairly universally accepted to export these custom properties into non-standard name-spaces. Could be a bugfix for 4.2 if time allows, otherwise fix will target 4.3.

Jesse has two more potentially big topics for the near future:

  • Import of animated properties. This likely could be done by generating animation curves and actions. Getting an accepted design for this would be a good target for 4.3.
  • There are recurrent Mesh Sequence Cache issues (limited support for import options), question is how many more explicit options need to be added, vs. having code that can automatically define these options to their proper value.

Improved Integration of USD in Blender

See also the synthetic task.

Collection Export

See also the design task.

The last main TODO for 4.2 (disabling export handling for linked/liboverridden collections) has been merged in the release branch.

Design Discussion About Next Steps

Not much to report since design meeting one month ago.

Readonly Instancing

Display and very basic interaction/editing of USD data without actually importing it in Blender.

Charles has had little time to work on design tasks.

Content Generation for USD

Improve Blender capacities to generate data compatible with more USD features. E.g. create variants, define layers, etc.

Jesse keeps thinking about it.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 11th July, 17:00 CEST/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2024-07-11T15:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.