2024-06-13 Pipeline, Assets & I/O Meeting

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CEST.

Present: Bastien Montagne, Jesse Yurkovich, Micheal Kowalski, Sergey Sharybin

The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).

Links

USD

Targets for Blender 4.2

Targets for Blender 4.2

Micheal created the task, porting over unfinished targets from 4.2 (Scene unit scaling on import, Scene graph instancing export, Point instancing export, Point cloud to UsdGeomPoints export and Specify material purpose on import).

Micheal also had requests from user to not force the export of custom data into their own ‘User Properties’ namespace.

Improved Integration of USD in Blender

See also the synthetic task.

Collection Export

See also the design task.

There are still some topics that could use some work before 4.2 release:

• Linked collections in ViewLayer have collection export settings visible and active: PR is being worked on.

Design Discussion About Next Steps

Not much to report since design meeting two weeks ago.

Readonly Instancing

Display and very basic interaction/editing of USD data without actually importing it in Blender.

Charles created a demo video of his current prototype.

Content Generation for USD

Improve Blender capacities to generate data compatible with more USD features. E.g. create variants, define layers, etc.

Jesse has been gathering more information, and looking at current situations in other applications and pipelines.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 27th June, 17:00 CEST/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2024-06-17T15:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.

3 Likes