The meeting will be open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
Present: Brad Clark, Christoph Lendenfeld, Daniel Salazar, Ivan Cappiello, Jason Schleifer, Marc, Marion Stalke, Nate Rupsis, Nathan Vegdahl, Pierrick Picaut, Rik Schutte, Sybren Stüvel, Shriyansh Gupta
People present are referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name.
- Google Meet. Note that there are no recordings of the meeting. This way everybody is free to say or show anything.
- A&R Module Meetings agenda for inclusion in your own calendar
- Previous and next meeting notes
- #animation-module chat channel
Since the Last Meeting / Announcements
- Christoph made an overview of A&R issues.
- Blender 3.4 is now in BCON4.
Sybren is working on Opportunity Solution Tree of the Animation 2025 topics.
- Nathan: needs “what do workflows look like” / the “feeling” of working as animator/rigger. User stories.
- Nathan: we need to stay flexibe, prototype’y.
- The workshop got some attention on Blender Nation
- 58c8c4fde35c: Animation: Improve performance of Bake Action operator
- 705fe08b6113: Fix T99400: “Jump to Keyframe” preserves subframe offset
- e97443478e32: Fix T102797: Unlinking an Orphan Action crashes
- c47b6978e327: Animation: Make Bake Animation operator use preview range when enabled
- rBM9728: Pose library: add note that the poselib is an addon
- b5ebc9bb24ae: Fix T101996: merge fcurve keyframes on the same frame after snapping
T101130: Regression: Scaling of NLA Strip Via S Hotkey Not Working
- Sybren and Nate will have a video call and look at the issue together.
- D16643: Fix T101130: Regression: Scaling of NLA Strip Via S Hotkey Not Working
- Possible alternative is available (just changing the playback scale per strip). Module says no, that’s not good.
- Sybren will create test build for Brad.
- Nate and Sybren discussed doing more ad-hoc working sessions, pairing up to work on specific bugs. Marion, Nathan, and Brad are interested in joining.
T87548: Propagate Pose, Next Keyframe
- Christoph is working on a fix: D16654
- Test builds available
T93406: Removal of most of the old pose library
- Sybren will likely tackle (unless someone beats him to it).
Patch Review & Decision Time
T102488: Not possible to add keyframes to HSV values
- Christoph: you can key RGB, and then update HSV and it’ll update the RGB keys.
- Nathan: if we want to support this properly (from a colour perspective) it’ll get really complicated. Could be done like we have rotation modes.
- Sybren: interpolation is interseting
- Pierrick: you can key “Combine Colour” nodes, but it’s still a hack.
- Sybren: let’s close this as a design limitation of Blender.
- Nathan: this is bigger than just animation module, it’s about colour handling in all of Blender.
- Marion: GP module may be interested in this as well.
- Jason: maybe close & create a bigger design task?
- Sybren will check with the module responsible.
T100659: “Add F-Curve Modifier” apply only at Active F-Curve
- Pierrick: can we make it easier to add modifiers to groups of curves?
- Ivan: add via NLA?
- Nathan: “animation modifier nodes”?
- Marion: not sure if you want to have another window open for those.
- Sybren: maybe put them on the curve groups, instead of on individual FCurves? Like the Digital Audio Workstation software Reaper. People agree.
- Jason: The big problem in T100659 is confusion. Maybe just add two menu items, so that the description can be clarified.
- Nathan: Suzanne principle, do it like object modifiers.
- Jason: What is active is unclear in the UI, everything in the channel list is yellow.
- Sybren: the object constraints is the closest (because from menu), but it acts a bit strange.
- Brad: Adding FCurve modifiers is under “Keys”, which is weird.
- Nathan: short term, Jason’s approach to add two menu items seems best. Long term, Blender needs a bit of an overhaul wrt selection & adding things.
- Sybren: yeah, I have a list of bone/FCurve selection issues collected already.
Christoph is working on an FCurve smoothing filter, will give a demo to gather needs feedback.
- His implementation causes ringing (similar to JPEG compression artefacts around sharp edges).
- Brad: better to have the frequency cutoff in Hz, instead of a 0-1 scale.
- Christoph explains how the 0-1 scale affects the combination of cutoff frequency and sample rate.
- Pierrick: AnimAide Smooth seems to work well.
- Nathan: throws the words “wavelet decomposition” into the mix.
Colin Basnett is working on an NLA drawing issue (T97530), and needs some help with the UI code: Fixing artificial header UI in animation editors
- Nate: graph editor also has this, not just NLA.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 8 December, 18:00-19 CEST (Your local time: 2022-12-08T17:00:00Z). Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.