The meeting will be open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
People present are referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name.
- Google Meet. Note that there are no recordings of the meeting. This way everybody is free to say or show anything.
- A&R Module Meetings agenda for inclusion in your own calendar
- Previous and next meeting notes
- #animation-module chat channel
- Christoph’s first week as a devfund grant recipient!
- The Animation 2025 project is slated to start on 1 January 2023. Before that there’s lots of planning and concretifying to do.
Blog post about the workshop is published. Mostly written by Sybren, with feedback from many module members.
- Andres Stephens pointed us to a prototype for editable motion paths
- Previous meeting was an off-schedule meeting. The next off-schedule one will be on a Tuesday, as that gives Sybren some time to prepare.
- Today at Blender Animation Studio, Rik pitched a new short, codename “Dog Cat Science” (play on “rocket science”). One of the technical aspects they want to investigate / invest in is the ability to sculpt / shapekey animated characters.
- 970be7e65ae7: Fix T100491: Mouse selection is inaccurate in NLA Editor
80249ce6e4f9: Asset Browser: Allow changing active catalog from Python
- Relevant for this module too, as this also impacts the pose library.
T101130: Regression: Scaling of NLA Strip Via S Hotkey Not Working
- Nate Rupsis took over from Thibault de Villèle, but also got a bit stuck.
- Sybren and Nate will plan a video call and look at the issue together.
T87548: Propagate Pose, Next Keyframe
- Up for grabs.
T87413: Driving object scale also scales its particle instances
- Sybren filed the task as “known issue”. It is likely that the driver is actually doing the correct thing: scaling particles along with the object they’re attached to, in the same way that they rotate and translate along with that object. This would mean that fixing this issue would very likely break people’s files (because scaling the object will all of a sudden have an effect on the particle scale). The reporter has been pointed towards Geometry Nodes.
Maybe we should add a task to finally remove the last deprecated bits of the old pose library?
- Module says yes
D16574: FCurves/modifiers RNA paths
- Sybren explains the fragility of using indices for accessing FCurves, FCurve modifiers, etc.
- Module agrees with Sybren about fragility.
Christoph looking into FCurve smoothing.
- A Butterworth filter only looks backward, causing a shift in time.
- He’d like to have input on other filters to try out.
- RCS: Timeline editor: differentiate between group and single channel keyframes
- The idea is appreciated by the module.
- Jason: is bold the right thing? Maybe it should also differentiate between “all grouped channels keyed” vs. “some grouped channels keyed”?
- Marion: shapes are already used for other purposes, might get confusing if they also try to convey “all” vs" partially" keyed.
- Sybren: maybe an idea to solve T79857: KeyFrame Types redesign first.
- Christoph: for the dopesheet this is more important than the key type. Key type is more for the graph editor.
- Colin: bold is visually overpowering. Maybe use the channel background for the same info?
- Ingo: agrees, bold adds additional clutter. BG colour change is good.
- Sybren: will summarise in RCS comment.
- Might need help from UI module: T97530: NLA viewport jumps upward when track search input is focused
- Ready to land, but needs to be checked for Git conflicts: D8808: Armature Animation Baking: Important performance patch
- Colin is on it.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 1 December, 18:00-19 CEST (Your local time: 2022-12-01T17:00:00Z). Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.