The meeting will be open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
People present are referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name.
- Google Meet
- A&R Module Meetings agenda for inclusion in your own calendar
- Previous and next meeting notes
- #animation-module chat channel
- New faces:
- Dmitriy Ostrovko, character artist, uses ZBrush + Blender.
- Kevin Curry, engineering manager @ Unity, before that did 3D Modeling, works on democratizing 3D on the web.
- Sonny Campbell, engineer at Unity for 2 years, looking at helping out Blender development at the crossover points between Unity & Blender. Also visited the Pipeline, Assets & IO meeting last week.
- Agnes Masanja, sw eng at Unity. Wrote her own game engine at university. Want to improve user experience when using Blender & Unity. Also visited the Pipeline, Assets & IO meeting last week.
- Nathan Vegdahl, animator, worked on Big Buck Bunny and Sintel, now working with Ian Hubert.
- Jeremy Bot, used Maya for 20 years as animator, has been following Blender since Elephants Dream. Works at animation studio now, worked on Barbie, Madagascar. Has some contributions for Blender as well.
- A new bone-less character system by Pixar: https://graphics.pixar.com/library/ProfileMover/paper.pdf
- Ton is contacting Pixar to see if we can collaborate on getting this into Blender.
- We should plan an Animation & Rigging workshop. The main goal of the workshop: to define the next 5 years of Blender development.
- Sybren asks for some random, bigger ideas, just to get some balls rolling & heads thinking:
- Kevin B: parallel evaluation of character rigs, speed improvements.
- Dmitriy: nodes! Please nodes! Everything, rigging and animation.
- Jeremy: a way to reverse-engineer a rig. Get a node-like overview of what an existing rig is made of.
- Nathan: fixing foundational things. Animation system is assuming actions map to individual objects. This is unfortunate when coordinating multiple objects, or doing layering of animations that conceptually group multiple objects as one entity.
- Sybren: node system for transforms, constraints, parenting.
- Nathan: collaboration with Geometry Nodes, to have deformation run through that instead of modifiers.
- Kevin B: weight painting workflow needs work.
T97980: N-panel visible by default in Animation editors
- Nate Rupsis working on D14910: default N-panel open for animation editors, is ready to land, but:
- He found some other weirdnesses, Sybren proposed to fix that weirdness, and commit the fix and the above patch in quick succession.
D14658: Changes to the actions performed by the ‘Start’ and ‘End’ fields of a NLA strip in the NLA editor
- Under review by Sybren.
D14163: Weight & Vertex Paint: always respect edit mode hiding on faces.
- Module gives thumbs up!
- Under review by Sybren.
D15139: Added ‘Update Pose’ feature to Pose Library
- Kevin B gives a demo Demo, some feedback is given.
D4029: Implement a Track Surface constraint
- Dmitriy voices interest to work on this.
T94370: New Icons: Global Menus & Animation Editors
- Takes a long time, Kevin B. perceives the silence from the UI module as a bit rude.
- Sybren explains the UI module is without owner at the moment, and the members are stretched rather thin over lots of different topics.
- We might trim down the number of icons to be more Anim/Rigging-centred, so we can move forward easier.
T97477: Dope Sheet standard mode does not show Grease Pencil keyframes
- Amélie is moving forward with the patch.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 23 June, 18:00-19 CEST (Your local time: 2022-06-23T16:00:00Z). Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.