The main goal of this meeting was a status update on ongoing work, and demonstrations of the upcoming Pose Library and the Procedural FCurve Editor add-on.
The meeting was open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
Present: bird_d, Christoph Lendenfeld, Daniel Salazar, Demeter Dzadik, Luciano Muñoz, Sebastian Parborg, Sybren Stüvel
- Google Meet NOTE: this is a new link!
- Previous meeting notes
- #animation-module chat channel
Since the Last Meeting / Announcements
The new pose breakdowner design by Christoph (D9054) was demo’d to Ton. He rejected the design, so we will work on improvements.
- There should be no overlay / overlap in 3D viewport. This makes the interface too messy.
- Probably the interface will move to the space of the menu bar of the 3D viewport, temporarily hiding the menu itself while the tool is active.
- Sebastian and Sybren will have a meeting about this next week, hopefully with a few rapid iterations with Ton.
Sybren showed the progress on Asset Browser / Pose Library project.
- “Create Pose Asset” button currently copies animation keys. Luciano: don’t look at keys, only look at the current pose of the bones.
- Luciano: the pose should be determined by the loc/rot/scale of the bones, the bbbone properties, and maybe the values of custom properties when they are changed from their defaults.
- Sybren: prefers to not limit to these, and suggests to store all keyed properties at their current value.
- Daniel: how about animation snippets? They could be copied into the current action of the rig, or possibly added to the NLA.
- Sybren: this is on the radar, and is one of the reasons that the new Pose Library uses an Action per pose (the current system uses a frame per pose, and an Action is a whole library of poses).
Demeter created task T85796: Alt+Click to select overlapping bones.
- Sebastian has patch, it’s working in edit + pose mode. Demeter tested and is in heaven. Still needs discussion with Sybren about merging & code quality of legacy code.
T57003: Copy visual pose and paste over frame range
- On hold due to Sybren’s work on the Asset Browser / Pose Library. It is kept as short-term goal, as it is still an indication that this is on the shortlist for development.
- T83068: Motion Paths: Refresh all is kept on the short-term goals for the same reason.
T84520: Confusing Symmetry settings in Weight Painting: Sebastian Parborg is working on this.
- Counter-argument for keeping the old options was given, but no response yet with actual workflow that would be improved by keeping the old stuff.
- Sebastian will move option-graying-out code to RNA/C and depend on the object mode, instead of having it in the panel drawing code. That should make things more consistent & easier to update.
Time Selection in Animation Editors
- Demo of the Procedural FCurve Editor add-on by the author, @bird_d.
- Demo video
- The add-on features time range selection with falloff. Falloff can be selected with fcurve interpolation modes.
- On the selected time range, certain operators can be run to modify the keyframes in that range.
- Daniel: we could use the same UI for setting the effective range of FCurve Modifiers.
- As a bonus feature, the add-on can add FCurve Modifiers to all selected FCurves at once.
- Luciano: Future idea, to give a name to FCurve Modifiers, so that alt-click to change a property can work across multiple selected FCurves (just like with Object Modifiers). This would make working on similar modifiers on all curves of the same object much easier.
- Luciano: T86180: Select Grouped for Animation Editors
- Sybren: we need to figure out how the current selection gets translated to a search pattern.
- Luciano: T79857: KeyFrame Types redesign.
- Luciano: will add “curve extremes” in there as well.
Sybren: Sprite Fright is going to be animated on two’s.
- Luciano: ‘Stepped’ FCurve Modifier can help with this; see the problem above for why this could be problematic.
- bird_d: suggests an Action modfier, that gets applied to all FCurves on the Action.
Christoph: How about making Alt-click work to select things behind a gyzmo? For example for selecting bones that are obscured by a Rotate gyzmo.
- Sebastian: This already works in object mode. Give D10426 a try, it might work for you, as that patch just does the same but for bone selection.
- This was discussed, and all present agreed to move the meetings one hour later, to 17:00 CET.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 18 March, 17:00 CET/Amsterdam time. Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.