The main goal of this meeting was a status update on & discussion of ongoing work.
The meeting was be open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet (link below).
Present: Bassam Kurdali, Christoph Lendenfeld, Demeter Dzadik, Juan Pablo Bouza, Scott Wilson, Sybren Stüvel, Wayde Moss
People present will be referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name for clarity.
Since the Last Meeting / Announcements
- The new pose breakdowner design by Christoph (D9054) has seen some improvement. Decisions need to be made.
- Slider is gone, functionally the same as before. Just a reduced GUI.
- Sybren will post the argument for this UI change on the tracker.
- Christoph: Once accepted can be relatively quickly split off into generic code for other operators to use.
- Progress on Asset Browser / Pose Library project:
- “Create Pose Asset” button copies current pose of the bones, bbone properties, and any other animated properties.
- “Copy Pose as Asset” button creates the asset in a single-datablock temporary blend file, then puts the filename on the clipboard. Pasting it into Blender appends the asset to the current blend file.
- T85796: Alt+Click to select overlapping bones still needs discussion.
T57003: Copy visual pose and paste over frame range
- On hold due to Sybren’s work on the Asset Browser / Pose Library. It is kept as short-term goal, as it is still an indication that this is on the shortlist for development.
- T83068: Motion Paths: Refresh all is kept on the short-term goals for the same reason.
- T84520: Confusing Symmetry settings in Weight Painting: Sebastian Parborg has a patch, which just needs some review/feedback on how to move forward.
D7685: Armature: Add Display Axis Offset: some different opinions on where to put the bone axis position slider. Needs a decision.
- Bassam: User Preference is too hidden, per-Armature option is much more visible. Having the Axis Position slider next to the Axis enable/disable checkbox is important.
- Bassam: maybe even not make it configurable, always set to the head position. For sure don’t make it “smart”.
- Scott: maybe move it to the overlays, and make it an option there. Bassam: possible, but move show/hide axes toggle there too.
- Module agreed that the current state of the patch (per armature setting, position slider next to axis enable checkbox) is the best choice for now.
- Bassam: default to head of bone, but versioning to ensure old files stay at tail.
- Sybren: be careful with default, understand why current is chosen. If we keep the current behaviour as default, maybe the change is small enough to still be sequeezed into 2.93, otherwise 3.0 is more suitable.
- Bassam: we could change default later as well.
- Scott: will keep default to tip.
- Scott: will test with custom bone shapes.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 1 April, 17:00 CET/Amsterdam time. Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.