Present: Brecht Van Lommel, Campbell Barton, Julian Eisel, Nathan Craddock, Pablo Vazquez
- Nathan Craddock is now part of the core UI team. Welcome!
- Bcon3 starts next Wednesday.
- Properties search:
- Evaluate current design, if we still want to do changes it has to happen now.
- Pablo is going to open a task for possible tweaks.
- Data-block selector design changes (D8554):
- Mostly done, some monkey work is left and we can keep fine-tuning things.
- However: Julian doesn’t have much time for this and Bcon3 is too close.
-> Will be moved to 2.92. It’s not unimportant, but not a high priority either.
- Root issue of many of the UI team’s struggles is the big amount of projects that need involvement.
- The team reconfirms: We need to be more wary about which projects we pick up.
- Focus more on fewer projects. Avoid having only one person responsible for bigger ones.
- There will always be incoming patches from contributors.
- Reviewing small changes is regular work. Bigger ones we should be more picky about.
- Try to get contributors more involved with the current roadmap (already mentioned last meeting).
- For each project, create a list of tasks for contributers to pick up.
- Julian will create one for the asset browser.
- Discuss with regular contributors how they could help out.
- Nathan is available for more involvement.
- He could help out with brush system UI changes later. Tools or Asset Browser are an option too.
- More short-term, he agreed on helping out on the directional box selection patch (D9180)
- Often other modules need UI team involvement (e.g. animation channel list redesign).
- Each case is different, we have to discuss them with the other module.
- If we don’t have the resources for a project, discuss with them if they can put it aside for now.
- Or: Ask them to do most design and implementation work and the UI team only reviews things.
- Redesigning the keymap editing UI (T68884) will not be a 2.9x project.
- Everyone agrees it is in a bad state, but we simply can’t give it enough attention currently.
- Smaller changes may still be done (e.g. simple conflict detection).
General Design Review
- File Browser tooltips (D9172)
- Meeting agrees on moving this into a sidebar panel.
- Similar: Tooltips in recent files list (D9028)
-> Seems fine since this adds context you don’t have outside of the File Browser.
Next Meeting: 2020-10-21 (next Wednesday), same time.