Why user feedback is absolutely useless, practical example

Well, yes, you cant switch from Blender to 3dsmax approach without loosing workflow speed and without shrinking workflow range, since 3dsmax was never designed for that.

I understand that performance of blender viewport and GUI is an important things for users, I myself warned about this problem before the codequest and it didnā€™t help, but this thread is not about that. Itā€™s about how ineffective it is to give user feedback for years, no matter how easy it is to fix some things.

And I have used as an example what happened with quickly hiding or unhiding collections as it was done with layers before 2.79. That with a simple function easy to implement in a couple of hours would reduce the time of work of the users in hours weekly. But there is no way, or I canā€™t find a way, to communicate with the developers without them seeming to not understand this or give it importance. And itā€™s frustrating to see developers in endless debates over hotkeys and minor enhancements that directly affect day-to-day performance seem to have no place in development.

So please, if you want to talk about the speed when editing meshes, the speed of interface response,ā€¦ there are already epsecific threads.

To give another example, I have been proposing for months a super stupid feature that would change the blender workflow for modeling in a brutal way. An automatism to change the pivot to 3D Cursor and back to the previous one the user had without having to interact with the user. But I canā€™t find any way to make some dev (@ideasman42 or @Howard_Trickey ) understand the proposal that would save thousands of weekly user interactions.

And it is a feature that I donā€™t think is complex to implement. Basically it is that when the user places the 3D cursor in some point automatically the pivot mode change to Cursor, and that when the user selects or deselects something returns to the previous pivot mode.

Amused by the time estimates. If you are able to make such simple changes in a couple of hours then why have you not done so? If you are not capable of doing this then you are also not capable of estimating the complexity of the solution or how long it would take.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that excuse too many times and it always fails to worry about it. And Iā€™ve had to endure for months saying that phrase over and over again for them to finally agree to make a patch and it was just a line of code with five minutes of work. So I know perfectly well how lightly some people like to use that statement. If the time I told you about this idea, a month ago, you had spent five minutes reading me instead of making excuses for not listening to me, you would know that. And Iā€™m sorry to be so rude, but Iā€™m tired of reading that nonsense which is quite rude and some of you love to use it, it makes you feel special.

But yes, I also have a basic python implementation that takes five lines and I did it in less than two hours. And I have already shared it several times. So yes, I know that a correct implementation is no big deal. Especially much more correct than the current one. The problem is that I canā€™t learn all the complexity of developing for blender in python for a 5 lines addon with the bad documentation there is to create an addon.

It is pure logic, if disabling or enabling a collection depending on one of its values is something complicated to do is something that takes days of work then the blender architecture will be garbage and to make anything will take months

Iā€™m really sure that you need more time to respond to me that to do the code of what Iā€™m talking about.

You hear that a lot because it is simply the way that the world works, not an excuse for inaction on whatever it is you are advocating for. It simply not possible to estimate how long someone else can implement your idea unless you have enough knowledge of the subject to do it yourself.

No, that has nothing to do with me not listening to you. I personally donā€™t listen to you in particular because you almost always express yourself in a demanding and rude manner. My time is my own and I spend it as I wish and help who I want to help.

1 Like

Do you really need 30 minutes for that answer? That explain a lot.

Well, itā€™s bad luck that you never listen to me because you are always behind me on the forum to answer with that boring statement.

Iā€™m going to use a real example, so you donā€™t complicate yourself with personal attacks as usual.

Today a contractor came to tell me how much my garden wall would cost, 6meters, he gave me a figure of 4 days. I may not know how to do any wall, but my grandfather did the same wall for me years ago, and it took him 4 hours to do a similar wall but half the size. Two weeks ago a neighbor made the same wall and it took 1 day. And yes, I may still not know how to make such a wall, but I know that such a wall does not take 4 days to make.

The same goes for this proposal, I may not have been programming for more than a decade, I may not have the capacity to learn all of python, which I have never used, and the blender API and the way it works. But I know perfectly well that reading the value of a class and changing another value according to it is not something complicated. There may be different ways to approach the problem, how to read the collection tree, what solution is taken if we have a class of one value inside another one of another valueā€¦ But my best friends are programmers, I work with programmers and I see how they work, how long they take to implement things and I know that sometimes some things get complicated, but no, changing one variable to another variable is not complicated. And it never will be unless the last 40 years of computer development have been to complicate things.

Gentle reminder for all involved, to ā€œlighten up a littleā€ and dial down the venom to acceptable levels (which is 0 btwā€¦)

Edit: For all to review : our code of conduct

8 Likes

This can be easily done in Python, no need to tackle C codebase.

However the real point in software engineering is to distinguish between supplied features and feature customization.

Since the feature customization is always very subjective to a specific workflow to a specific user, you canā€™t really be sure when something deserves to become standard or not. Unless thousands of people agree on a common ground that something needs to be a standard (just as happened with selecting with right click - now no one complains about this).

As for example for me personally, I have changed all Photoshop shortcuts to suit my own needs rather than sticking to defaults. Among many changes: Layer transform is Ctrl+R because is closer than T (I dislike stretching my fingers) and duplicate layer is Ctrl+Q because I use it all the time and I actually never quit the software from shortcut.

Hi, in that case I propose that to solve the problem that devs wanted to solve by the lack of a way to work with a editable pivot point in transform operations. So instead of some ideas to add a new pivot operation mode I propose to allow users work with 3D Cursor like a editable pivot point with the classic Cursor with that change.

Well, specifically right click select have nothing to do with thousands of people.
The arguments for it (gizmo using and weight painting) are just not strong enough and can be substituted for a wide range of workflows without loss.

The index finger has anatomically better mobility, frequent alternation of fingers during using RCS leads to stress on the wrist as well (which requires special training), so LCS was a wise choice in general. Also RCS is available, so there is no need to complain anyway.

The same reason is, for example, for GRS instead of WER - they can be used with relaxed palm in WASD way and most frequent actions (G and R) are used with fingers with better mobility - according to the relevance.

Its all about wise choises.

1 Like

ā€œUser feedback is useless, now please read this wall of text with 50 bullet points kthxā€

This has to be some sort of niche troll hobby of yours, right?

Like a distributed community run social experiment or something, where a group of people use your account to complain for what has to be weeks of manhours, just squawking away at devs of a FOSS DCC, gathering data for some inane study of nag tolerance.

500 words = Wall of text
200 words = Little information
40 words = no contribution

The usual whining of those who find everything that does not fit in a tweet excessive.

1 Like

I come here infrequently, and yet I know you because without fail you are complaining about something. Not just, ā€œHey check this out, thanksā€ but, because of the rules, lets just say you are abraisive.

You are detrimental to your own cause, to a staggering and consistent degree.

Alberto, you could be nice and helpful. Or you could just conduct yourself like a normal human being.

It would still be depressing, the amount of time you are spending here.

Hell, you could be a developer, and I would still feel a little sorry for you.

Letā€™s take a step back from that more plausible and forgivable scenario.

Just look around and ask yourself, ā€œIs anybody else on here as much as Alberto? What is it, that I do here?ā€

You do nothing. You blame everyone else for your troubles, and are totally ungrateful for something that you are not only given for free, but can use to make any amount of money you are able to get your greedy little hands on.

Beyond that, you are free to fix things to your heartā€™s content, and there are lots of people just sitting around waiting to give you what assistance they can offer.

But youā€™ve probably burned every possible bridge you can.

Whatever ā€œtime youā€™ve lostā€ because of the latest flavor of the moment complaint you have, it doesnā€™t really matter.

That time would be more than made up for by not obsessivley posting here about it.

Have you ever considered that you might be a ghost, haunting the machine that hosts these very forums?

ā€œBooOoOooOOo! jUsT A fEw LinEs oF CodE!!! fiX My pRobLeMs!!!ā€ :crazy_face:

We heard you the first time. Relax

1 Like

I think that developers get just an insane amount of mutually exclusive feedback during development.
But it is not clean enough how to provide feedback about critical usability issues that breaks the ability to use the programā€¦

I donā€™t know whether to answer this or passā€¦ Especially because of how poorly worded it is, it almost gives me the impression that you donā€™t know how to express yourself. In your mind I understand that your whole message seemed spectacular, like when a criminologist takes apart the killerā€™s mind or something.

That unhealthy behavior of which you speak to me with which I lose so much time of my lifeā€¦ has made that in the last 6 months I write the incredible figure of 40-50 messages and almost all giving ideas in the thread of geometry nodes. I estimate that in writing those 50 messages I will have wastedā€¦ I donā€™t know, 6-7 hours. Itā€™s a somewhat rare unhealthy behavior for which in the last six months Iā€™ve only lost a few hours. And I almost always get through because I get a notification to my email, otherwise I donā€™t even get through. And you say that you always see me, maybe you have noticed that few people write in this forum.

I think this alone should be enough to see the nonsense you are sayingā€¦ but well, Iā€™ll keep answering.

You say that I am detrimental to my cause, I am not afraid to tell you that I must be one of the users who have achieved more things for ā€œtheir causeā€. But I donā€™t need to explain it to you because I donā€™t think you would understand it. I know completely my history with the blender foundation and with the developers. And I can assure you that I know the history of another ten or so users with another ten or so different ways of communicating and they get much worse results than me. I know perfectly well that there is a cultural barrier that you donā€™t even understand (and thatā€™s why you think Iā€™m crazy) and also there is an artist/programmer barrier that in the case of blender developers is even thicker than usual. I would like it to be more cordial? of course, but if time has taught me anything itā€™s that itā€™s not possible and not because of me.

Having said all that, my fiancƩe and almost all my friends are psychologists (basically all my friends are divided in programmers or psychologists and these last ones win in quantity). If I were sick I think I would know that. What I can tell you is that if you have not written this message with so many line breaks on purpose, it is best that you consider going to a psychiatrist or a psychologist because you have a pretty obvious problem that prevents you from communicating like a normal person.

I hope this message did not look like a wall of text to you, because in my country it is a normal message with nothing special.

So much concentrated venomā€¦

It is often not clean who determines that some feature is an obsolete and for what reasons.
A lot of things required protection from being corrupted.
A lot of things was removed and corrupted, basically, because they was used wrong, in such cases it is hard to define certain steps to form a proper provement.