Why doesn't the append operator have "reuse data" option?

Hi,

the new Asset Browser has an ability to reuse existing data when appending a new object. Why doesn’t the Append operator in the File menu have this option too?

It’s very irritating having to manually clean up all the duplicate materials every single time I append the asset that’s supposed to use existing materials. Here I did a very common thing of appending a car interior mesh into a car exterior file. The materials were named the same for the actual purpose of being the same:

Why isn’t there a simple checkbox in the append operator properties, which when enabled, will use existing data block of same name and same type if one is found, and only append it if it’s not?

Especially since this is already implemented for the Asset Browser, can’t the same code be reused here too?

I can feel your pain brother, We can’t even access to the append operator from the asset browser via python

1 Like

This topic is from a time where we did not enforce the ban on feature requests on these forums too strict, under current rules this can’t stay open.