Website issues

Near the bottom of ( https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-80/ ) in the “Try It Yourself” section, it still has a button to download the release candidate.

On the home page ( https://www.blender.org/ ) there are a number of places that use “2d” and “3d” where the “D” is not capitalized. For consistency, and to not look weird, these should be turned to “2D” and “3D”.

Also, for consistency, “Story Art, drawing 2d in 3d” should become title case: “Story Art, Drawing 2D in 3D” and “Make it your own” should become “Make it Your Own” because all the previous ones are title-cased.

At the very top left of the download button, “Open Source 3D creation. Free to use for any purpose, forever.” I don’t think “Open Source” should be capitalized as title case, so “Source” should be made lower-case as “source”.

One final note, this is just a suggestion so feel free to ignore it if you disagree, but I might suggest changing the title of the “About” box (next to the “Get Involved” box) near the top of the page so instead of saying “About” it says “Meet Blender”. I think that would seem a little bit less of a generic wording choice.

Tagging @pablovazquez

Thanks and congrats on the 2.80 release!

1 Like

https://www.blender.org/features/ also has a try blender 2.8 button which links to https://builder.blender.org/download/ rather than the final release.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

Regarding the About and Get Involved sections in the homepage, we are thinking on removing/rewriting that whole section to give more emphasis to the news articles. That block of text is legacy from many years back when Blender wasn’t so widely known as it is nowadays.

Thanks again, we are always open to text improvements or mockups. Keep 'em coming!

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! One more thing, it’s really hard to read the “Join the Development Fund” section because its text has very little contrast from its background. Can you find a darker background image (maybe the space looking one that was used in the splash screen during the beta?) or at least darken the text?

There is a similar issue in the section below on tablet and mobile devices where the white text overlaps the bright orbs in the background and makes it unreadable, so adding this style is subtle but helps fix the problem: text-shadow: 0 0 8px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5);

Fixed it. We will redesign it soonish but for the time being the color at least is now readable.

Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure where exactly to put this, but this seems close enough. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to change my Email Address on id.blender.org via the “Edit Profile” page.
But all I get is “Internal Server Error” when I click “Save Changes”.

Is that not working or am I missing something?

At the moment and for the last 4 days, I have not been able to access the Python threads as a collective, the website just hangs and does nothing, every other area works fine. This is on macOS and Safari.

Cheers, Clock.

Bumping this again, because this still doesn’t work. Probably nobody even noticed.[quote=“MichaelHermann, post:6, topic:8608, full:true”]
I’m trying to change my Email Address on id.blender.org via the “Edit Profile” page.
But all I get is “Internal Server Error” when I click “Save Changes”.

Is that not working or am I missing something?
[/quote]

“User Feedback” category seems to have disappeared for a couple days now on macOS 10.14.5 Mojave, using Safari. Working on mobil devices.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, not sure.

1 Like

Same problem here with mobile and desktop…

Looks like that category got muted in last update.

4 Likes

Good to know, thanks! It was posted under user feedback, that’s why I missed it probably :smiley:

1 Like

Aren’t responsive on mobile, I think that video don’t resize correctly. There are js for that, check fitvids javascript.

The red button “download experimental” aren’t responsive on mobile.

@pablovazquez I am listing a bunch of fixes to the home page. I hope you can go through and make each change I am suggesting here because the Blender team lacks an in-house copy editor, but quality text and styling is important to give a professional first impression.

In the splash screen section:

• Add the following two CSS rules to fix the visual appearance of the rounded corners of the white background for the text “Blender 2.82 is here. UDIM support, USD export, new physics and more!”

.title-head .rounded {
        border-radius: .25rem .25rem .25rem 0 !important;
    }

.title-subtitle .rounded {
        border-radius: 0 0 .25rem .25rem !important;
    }

• Add a comma after “physics” for consistency and clarity: UDIM support, USD export, new physics and more!UDIM support, USD export, new physics, and more!

In the “About”/“Get Involved” section:

• Remove the stray letter s above the “About” box (it exists as <p>s</p>).

• Get rid of (or fix, I can’t quite tell the intention) the following CSS rule because it is adding · in front of the “Blender Institute”, “Blender Network”, “Documentation”, “Education”, and “Donations & Sponsors” links in the “About” and “Get Involved” boxes):

• section.page-card ul.page-card-list li:not(:first-child):before {
        content: '·';
        position: absolute;
        top: 1px;
        left: 2px;
        color: #BBBBBD;
    }

• It would be a UX improvement to replace this HTML for the “About” header text:

<p class="page-card-title pb-3"><a href="/about" class="text-muted"><strong>About</strong></a></p>

with the following:

<p class="page-card-title pb-3" style="line-height: 1; font-size: 0; padding-top: 0;">
        <span class="text-muted" style="width: 50%; display: inline-block; line-height: 1; font-size: 1.7rem;">About</span>
        <a href="/about" style="font-size: 1rem; width: 50%; display: inline-block; text-align: right;">Read More »</a>
    </p>

• And equivalently for the “Get Involved” section, replace:

<p class="page-card-title pb-3"><a href="/get-involved" class="text-muted"><strong>Get Involved</strong></a></p>

with the following:

<p class="page-card-title pb-3" style="line-height: 1; font-size: 0; padding-top: 0;">
        <span class="text-muted" style="width: 50%; display: inline-block; line-height: 1; font-size: 1.7rem;">Get Involved</span>
        <a href="/get-involved" style="font-size: 1rem; width: 50%; display: inline-block; text-align: right;">Read More »</a>
    </p>

In the “Everything You Need” section:

• Change the following CSS rule that applies to the bullet points in each of the lists in this section of the page to use content: '\2022'; (the character) instead of content: '·'; to represent the bullet point.

section.page-card.features .page-card-list li.feature-item .feature-details ul li:before {
        content: '·';
        position: absolute;
        top: 1px;
        left: -5px;
        color: white;
        font-weight: bold;
    }

• I suggest changing each of the following in order to improve grammar, readability, clarity, style, or consistency:

• VR rendering supportStereoscopic 3D and 360° VR rendering

• CPU & GPU renderingCPU and GPU-based rendering

• PBR shaders & HDR lighting supportPBR shaders and HDR lighting

• Modeling, Sculpt, UVModeling, Sculpting, UV Editing

• Blender’s comprehensive array of modeling tools make creating, transforming and editing your models a breeze.Blender’s comprehensive array of modeling tools make creating, transforming, and editing models a breeze.

• Full N-Gon supportFull n-gon polygon face support

• Multi-resolution and Dynamic subdivisionMulti-resolution and Dynamic subdivision

• VFX professionals say: “Probably the best tracker in the market”. Blender includes production ready camera and object tracking. Allowing you to import raw footage, track the footage, mask areas and see the camera movements live in your 3D scene. Eliminating the need to switch between programs.
    VFX professionals say: “Probably the best tracker in the market”. Blender includes production-ready camera and object tracking, allowing you to import and track raw footage, mask areas, and see the camera movements live in your 3D scene. No need to switch between programs.

• Auto and Manual trackingAuto and manual tracking

• Real-time preview of your tracked footage and 3D sceneReal-time 3D scene and tracked footage preview

• Support for Planar tracking and Tripod solversSupport for planar tracking and tripod solvers

• Animation & RiggingRigging and Animation

• Thanks to the high quality rigging and animation tools, Blender is being used for numerous short films, advertisements, TV series and feature films now.Thanks to its high-quality rigging and animation tools, Blender is used in numerous short films, video games, advertisements, TV series, and feature films.

• Envelope, skeleton and automatic skinningEnvelope, skeleton, and automatic skinning (this adds a comma before the “and” but this entire line makes no sense to me, I suggest it is reworded but I am not super familiar with animation and can’t understand its intention enough to offer any suggestions)

• Full Animation Support with Onion SkinningFull animation support with onion skinning

• Layers & Colors for Stroke and FillLayers and colors for stroke and fill

• Sculpt brush strokes & Parent to 3D objectsSculpting brush strokes and parenting to 3D objects

• Make it Your OwnMake It Your Own

• Blender has a flexible Python controlled interface. Layout, colors, size and even fonts can be adjusted. Use hundreds of add-ons by the community or create your own using Blender’s accessible Python API.Blender has a flexible user interface. Layouts, themes, sizes, and fonts are easily adjustable. Use hundreds of add-ons by the community or create your own with Blender’s accessible Python API.

• Hi-res/Retina screen supportHigh-DPI/Retina screen support

• Connect with Blender’s Render APIConnect with Blender’s render API

In the “Join the Development Fund” section:

• Blender Foundation welcomes recurring donations to the Development Fund, which enables coders from the community to work for a set period of time on specific objectives.The Blender Foundation welcomes recurring donations to the Development Fund, which enables programmers from the community to work full-time on specific features.

In the “Subscribe to Blender Cloud” section:

• Training, assets & tools in one place.Training, assets, and tools in one place.
  • All the open movies files and tutorialsAll the open movie files and tutorials
  • Exclusive production insight & walk-throughsExclusive production insight and walkthroughs
  • Share images & screenshots from within BlenderShare images and screenshots from within Blender
  • Download 1500+ textures & HDRIs from BlenderDownload 1500+ textures and HDRIs in Blender
  • This section also has three blank boxes, with “READ MORE” links leading to Open Projects, Training, and Services.
1 Like

@pablovazquez any updates regarding my post right above?

Thanks for the feedback! It’s on my todo, I’ll try to address these during the week.

2 Likes

@pablovazquez Just one more reminder since I’m sure it easily slipped your mind in these rather chaotic times. Thanks!

Hi @pablovazquez I just wanted to remind you about these changes again. They’ll help make the Blender home page’s first impressions more professional and polished!

Someone mentioned the “Internal Server Error”
Screenshot_2020-11-12_22-07-00

I can confirm issue. I changed my account’s email address to a new email address. After I hit ‘Save’, and I got Internal Server Error.

My BlenderID email address does not work any more.

Quota exeeded (mailbox for user is full)