Viewport Axis Visuals (XYZ)

Adding a visual that shows how the labels would rotate around the orbit. People will still get the gist as the axis x, y, z will line up with the corresponding color. Anyways, just wanted post what I mentioned earlier.

2 Likes

Nice suggestion! I couldn’t resist trying an iteration mixed with the current design. The issue I have with the current one is that it’s sometimes not obvious which disconnected circle goes with which axis, and the circle for navigating around doesn’t always need to be present.

Screenshot_2018-07-18%2019_43_55

Circle shows up on mouseover:

Screenshot_2018-07-18%2019_43_34

1 Like

I like it. Only it would also make the negative axes a little darker, to differentiate them better.

1 Like

@jonlampel Neat alternative. I wonder how this would look if were implemented. Also, agree with @zebus3d .

I just want point out function (ctrl + shift + scroll MMB in 2.79 which i miss :cry:) with arrows in upper-right corner
rotation_arrows
(just quick photoshop)

2 Likes

2 Likes

I share a couple of images that can serve as inspiration for other proposals or ideas.

0-S0307904X12004180-gr1

sphpol

Maybe having the letters each one having its own color they can be at the edge of the circle as you proposed before.

@zebus3d That actually makes sense

1 Like

Iteration based on @zebus3d feedback

6 Likes

@zebus3d I responded with updated visual

1 Like

Since the new orbiter was introduced, I also hoped it was just a work in progress. So I strongly support this options. I think the first post options are good because the style matches the objects manipulators (translate, rotate, scale)

For me it’s really important that the negative and positive direction of the axis are visually recognizable at a glance.

1 Like

@sauna.monster

Thank you for your positive feedback! :slight_smile:

I’m new to this process, so I don’t know how the Blender UI team makes decisions or how the approval process even works.

Essentially, I don’t know if these designs will even been seen by the Blender team.

But I wanted to try and put some options out there just in case the Blender team was interested in some alternatives. I have a pretty busy schedule, so I tried to squeeze in some ideas while I had the chance.

cc @zebus3d

Hi.
I like the design of those circles, but maybe only for negative part of axes as another had proposed.
In blenderartists there are other discussions about Gizmo. Your design is also applicable for my proposal :slight_smile:

1 Like

@YAFU I didn’t know there was a parallel thread to this proposal either. Thanks.

I think Alternate Version 4 works best, since the axis letter is easier to see.

What’s the purpose of the inner circle?

Hi @pablovazquez,

Originally, it was part of a working mental model I had in my head.

As of now, it no longer serves any real value, thus it should be ignored.

Thank you for the feedback!

Alternate version 4 looks good to me too, although I think we should color code the axis titles if they are not placed inside the circle itself, as you did in version 5. Otherwise, the connection is not clear enough at all angles.
Also, we may have to adjust the sizes of the ‘balls’ to make them easy enough to hit. Even if the hit zone is larger than the visual circles, it could still be an issue when two circles are close or overlapping.

Other related design topic are the four navigation icons next to the viewport gizmo. These are just programmer-art temporary icons. They are too busy, and too big, esp if we include them in other editors too. So, anyone in here want to give them a go?

Other related design topic are the four navigation icons next to the viewport gizmo. These are just programmer-art temporary icons. They are too busy, and too big, esp if we include them in other editors too. So, anyone in here want to give them a go?

I’d simply use the Blender icons we already have for the moment, until we can replace them with better ones. (the cube in perspective for ortho/perspective switch, camera icon for camera view, magnifying glass for zoom, hand/grab for pan)