Unpack/relocate textures to a folder other than ./texture

If I unpack a blender file, it creates a folder called “texture”, that is within the current folder. Instead I’d like to default the unpack to a folder the is common across many 3d applications that I use (example: Documents/3d/textures).

This could also help me migrate previous blend files that might have used some other folder structure (pack and then unpack to my new structure).

Perhaps Blender should use the Preferences >> File Paths >> Data >> Textures … folder or allow for some other over-ride.

Capture

cap2

1 Like

I’d like to add here that the pack/unpack feature should allow a studio professional to archive a project safely and predictably. Currently, it has a fatal flaw that is easy to miss.
If the .blend file uses files from different paths that share the same filename, then they get archived and appended with numerals ( .001, .007… ), but when the file is unpacked to the \textures folder, all files are written to one folder. Duplicates beyond the first-written get discarded and are gone forever. Materials all point to this one surviving file, rendering your project useless and unrecoverable.

If Blender simply wrote out those “.001…” files, that would be great. You’d still have the data and the project would work.

For feature requests please use rightclickselect.com, as noted in the blue bar at the top.

Unless you propose to work on code to make this yourself, if that’s the case let me know and I can re-open the topic.

1 Like