Theme Development - Paper Cuts

Yes, if it’s more generic and shared between multiple editors it would make a lot more more sense.

Btw I got it mostly to work:

3 Likes

really nice … at this point before proposing it you should complete it with “extra info” that can be enabled in preference (and offer the possibility to set the vertex measurement colors and other measurement tools) … seem superfluous, but in terms of immediate readability they would benefit a lot, so it is not so immediate reading currently …
the purpose of extra info is to be able to hide the shortcut suggestions bar (once you know the shortcuts, it doesn’t make much sense to keep it open.)

1 Like

I discovered that the info text of 3d view is colorable … only it’s not so obvious …
3d view > Text space > Text Highlight

1 Like

You didn’t know? :stuck_out_tongue:
problem is that due to the dark shadow you can’t set it to anything below a certain darkness value.

2 Likes

I saw that your patches were accepted, good to know. :ok_hand:

working on transparancy backgrounds: Problems with theming bright themes

i now have Transparancy A and Transparancy B under User Interface > Styles
What would be a good name and place for these 2 settings?

1 Like

Wouldn’t be better to have only one colour and a grid multiplied over it?

1 Like

If you mean something like, checker tint and checker shade, then you can only make monotone checkerboards. It would be good for me, but maybe not for every theme out there.

1 Like

I meant a single exposed color, something like alpha background or alpha checkerboard .
And then the other one would automatically be a darker version of the chosen one (similar to the vse channels for example).

Another way that comes to my mind to expose a single value would be to use the theme’s 3dview background color for half the squares, and a alpha pattern one for the other half. This would also allow for different tints.

1 Like

I like the terms Alpha Checkerboard and Alpha Background

In the first scenario, by using only one property, you won’t have control over the contrast of the checkerboard.

The second scenario could work if basing the themes alpha checkerboard on the 3d-views background is what we want. But we have to keep in mind that the checkerboard is used in multiple areas. I’ve tested it with 3d-view, sequencer, and image-view. And as you can see in the gif, the ui-color-widget also has its own checkerboard that also needs to be hooked up to the theme settings.

It’s a tricky one :thinking:

1 Like

Right, and using the editors background colour would result with different alpha checkboards per editor…
I don’t know, maybe it’s possible to write a function to find a good value shift depending on the chosen colour, but it’s probably not worth it.

1 Like

Yeah, I think just adding two global colors is the easiest to implement and most flexible for themers. What about this:

User Interface
Styles

• Alpha Background
  • Alpha Checkerboard
1 Like

Hey guys, nice to see you again, I’m glad to see that this thread is still alive.

I have not added anything else because I have not found any other theming defects, I think they are all listed or almost …
all we have to do is solve the known.
That’s all folks!

1 Like

I think better to make like outliner background - main color, and semi-transparent overlay. In this case, you can change background with one value, and add contrast with second. Nice if you want to change background from time to time
In outliner it calls Window Background and Alternate Rows.
So, Alpha Checkerboard and Alpha Checkerboard Alternate maybe?

1 Like

The line numbers in the Text Editor should have their own color(not just the line-number background). In most modern editors the line numbers are themed less vibrant than the lines.

2 Likes

Harley Acheson has made themable the color of the text cursor

UI: Widget Text Cursor Color

3 Likes

Thank you Harley! It was difficult to see with any sort of blue theme.

They do. As of a few days ago now anyway.

1 Like

Actually not quite. It turns out my patch is almost word-for-word identical to an earlier one by Paul (Thirio). Once it gets approved (a day or two maybe) I’ll commit his version (with him set as author) then commit my other related changes afterward.

5 Likes

another nice improvement is coming:

T64177 Toolbar icon theming support

The patch adds a theme option for “inverting” icon colors.