The Tools/Brush Workflow

I don’t like the “Zbrush” solution because unless I already know the brush strokes by heart, I don’t realize the difference. Zbrush is very powerful, but its interface is very unfriendly.

1 Like

Yes Pablo, Krita has the solution.
Apart from the above, just remember that Krita also allows you to label the brushes, so that you can group the brushes in panels according to the needs, in the case of sculpture for example, we could group the brushes to create basic volumes, add details, hard modeling , or to create folds in tissues …

Little recordatory of this proposals. Where I talk about brushes system and sculpt interface

the main points

• unify brushes system, at least from a user point of view
  • unify thumbnails with a zbrush style, easy to create for new users the brushes
  • popup to select icons, with hotkeys to select easily or filter?
7 Likes

I see it that way. The bar or horizontal panel to choose according to user preferences.
It would be necessary to improve the coloration, of course :wink:

2 Likes

i dont see a reason to use colorations, each brush make what we want. and they could have various deformations

1 Like

So you’re saying that we would have just one tool in sculpt mode, where we can access all the brush presets, like:

This is what we want, yeah. But with proper icons of course. :wink:

And with a customizable toolbar in mind, we would be able to right click on a brush preset and add it to the toolbar, like:

Sweet :wink:

Alright, perfect. I’m in. :wink:

26 Likes

I don’t see the need either, it was to preserve the coloration according to the function of version 2.80.
If version 2.81 allowed to paint the vertex color while sculpting, it would be very simple to make thumbnails like the ones attached.

Good
However, I don’t know if it would be better to use “Asset Manager” to have the presets permanently accessible, as in Substance Painter.

3 Likes

+1 for custom toolbar for brush modes.

I would have managed brushes set creation from a panel in sidebar or properties.
But main idea is there.

A discrete switch into header between custom brushes set and other active tools could allow to switch from such toolbar to the one in @wevon mock-up.

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone! <3
I started updating the description of the thread to mirror the common viewpoints in the comments a bit more. I hope I can soon create some properly written descriptions and mockups for the current design proposals and add them as well.

Click on the little orange pencil icon on the top-right corner of the description to see the changed texts :wink:

1 Like

This is it. Well done…

1 Like

I added a couple of mockups. Let me know what you think!
More mockups of the panels, spacebar menu & dynamic brush icons are coming as well and don’t forget to read the description next to the mockups for context :wink:

2 Likes

please don’t beat me …
as reminder, since we are talking about general refactoring of sculpting/brush interface to make everything more comfortable and faster …
At least for sculpting and painting tools, take this proposal into consideration on an optional level…

blenderslider

krita_speed

1 Like

I don’t think this is really related to the issues and proposals listed above :wink:

obviously, for this reason I asked Venia, not to bother me.
I, on the other hand, think that sometimes we need to have a minimum of flexibility, otherwise things that are fairly important and fairly correlated, and even rather trivial to obtain, are lost in oblivion and always remain a step less than the competition…
i want the best, so the have to risk. :wink:

@JulienKaspar I like it that you are bring up this conversation. I agreed in many things that you wrote there, the very first thing that hit me hard is the merge, please don’t merge blender default brushes.
We need more brushes to be exposed in Blender not hide them and we will need couple click before reaching them.
The idea of changing 3-6 settings before getting the feeling of the brush will slow the sculpting process. Think about it for awhile when a non-digital sculptor or a traditional painter is working, he already has all the tools ready and know how each tool stroke’s effect is and then he starts working on the subject, but if we are planning to merge some brushes and before accessing them we have to tweak some settings before having the desired effect it seems like making tools while doing the work. This will be such slow process.
About the problem of infinite brush, the truth is in Blender everything is limited nothing is infinite we can agreed on specific number of brushes that will be in blender by default, let’s say global brush panel should have 40 brushes ( just a example), user can edit that and like @ThinkingPolygons mock-up user should have the ability to drag and drop( assign) them to the another panel like a toolbar.

Thx!

We need more brushes to be exposed in Blender not hide them and we will need couple click before reaching them.
The idea of changing 3-6 settings before getting the feeling of the brush will slow the sculpting process.

No brushes would be lost. All current brushes and more would still exist. The difference would be that instead of picking your brush behaviour from the Tools, you would pick the brush behaviour within the brush settings. This would be a lot more convenient than the current system :wink:

like @ThinkingPolygons mock-up user should have the ability to drag and drop( assign) them to the another panel like a toolbar.

I would go with my proposal of using the planned brush categories. It would be far easier to manage the displayed brushes instead of manually assigning each brush to the toolbar every time.

I love the idea so in total you have space for more brushes. It could give other developers space to create brushes / presents / libraries like this one:

3 Likes

Just quickly reading over the topic, so might have missed some points, but - when sculpting there are many types of brush tools that are used frequently which are not related to deformation. Masking, isolating parts of an object, clip brushes for quick boolen operations, mesh insert brushed for scattering custom objects, morph brush to paint in parts of layers, etc. It’s very convenient to have access to all of these at once in zbrush - it also makes it necessary to have a quick and easy way to customize, reorganize brush sets, being able to group some of them.

Depending on the project it’d be also handy to store sets - if I have to work on rocks one day, an organic creature the next and hard surface a day later it’d be handy to be able to load a whole toolset with grouped tools/brushes.

1 Like

Basically, same answer as I gave to erick :wink:

Hard to tell, it may work fine. But you could save toolbar setups as presets. One for working with drapery, one for hard surface, etc. Brushes used can come from many categories, and many times one does only use a fraction of the available brushes for a specific job.

1 Like